How much can I get for a first gen iPhone?

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
So, I am considering selling my original iPhone to help pay for an iPhone 3G. My question is how much should I sell it for? Also, is it going to be worth more if I unlock it? And if so, how difficult is it to unlock an iPhone? If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
So, I am considering selling my original iPhone to help pay for an iPhone 3G. My question is how much should I sell it for? Also, is it going to be worth more if I unlock it? And if so, how difficult is it to unlock an iPhone? If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
assuming the condition is good (no scratches or issues with the screen, overall good body condition, no other issues) you should be able to get at least $200 for it if it is 4GB, at least $300 for the 8GB, and probably $400 for the 16 GB.

Normally yes it is worth more unlocked, anywhere from $50 to $100 more possibly.

The difficulty to unlock it depends on what firmware it has. Did you update it to the new 2.0 or does it have 1.1.4 or something older? If it has the new 2.0 the unlock method hasn't been posted yet, but it's expected to be within a week or two. If it is older firmware it should be pretty easy to unlock.

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
assuming the condition is good (no scratches or issues with the screen, overall good body condition, no other issues) you should be able to get at least $200 for it if it is 4GB, at least $300 for the 8GB, and probably $400 for the 16 GB.

Normally yes it is worth more unlocked, anywhere from $50 to $100 more possibly.

The difficulty to unlock it depends on what firmware it has. Did you update it to the new 2.0 or does it have 1.1.4 or something older? If it has the new 2.0 the unlock method hasn't been posted yet, but it's expected to be within a week or two. If it is older firmware it should be pretty easy to unlock.
Thank you very much for the help. So, as soon as they break the 2.0 software, it should be fairly easy to unlock it, correct?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Thank you very much for the help. So, as soon as they break the 2.0 software, it should be fairly easy to unlock it, correct?
yeah it shouldnt be too hard when it comes out. so you have the 2.0 software on your iphon v1? woulda been better if you didn't upgrade and just jailbroke/unlocked it could have givin you an extra 100 about for it on ebay

streborhcaz

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
I'm selling my 1st gen on ebay right now, had a quick question. I send the SIM card with the phone right? I will get a new SIM card with my new 3G?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
I'm selling my 1st gen on ebay right now, had a quick question. I send the SIM card with the phone right? I will get a new SIM card with my new 3G?
no need to send your sim card with your iPhone. take it out before you sell it
youll get a new one but from the time you sell your iPhone and get the 3g the person you sodl it to will be using your att service and you don't want that. and make sur eyou do not cancle your iPhone data plan when you sell it keep eveyrthing teh sam eif you want to be able to get the iPhone 3g for 200 or 300

ZJH90

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
San Francisco!!!!
no need to send your sim card with your iPhone. take it out before you sell it
youll get a new one but from the time you sell your iPhone and get the 3g the person you sodl it to will be using your att service and you don't want that. and make sur eyou do not cancle your iPhone data plan when you sell it keep eveyrthing teh sam eif you want to be able to get the iPhone 3g for 200 or 300
So when I get my new iPhone 3G, all I have to do is insert my old sim card?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
So when I get my new iPhone 3G, all I have to do is insert my old sim card?
they will give you a new sim card with the 3G i believe, but you still don't want to give anyone your old sim card, just hang onto it as a backup I guess.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
they will give you a new sim card with the 3G i believe, but you still don't want to give anyone your old sim card, just hang onto it as a backup I guess.
yeah hes right they will give you a new one but still hang on to your old one.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Another question about selling. I have AppleCare on my v1 iPhone. Can I transfer it to the new iPhone or does it travel with the old one?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Another question about selling. I have AppleCare on my v1 iPhone. Can I transfer it to the new iPhone or does it travel with the old one?
i was in the same situation. you cannot transfer but they will give you a refund for it so you can go buy another one. just call Apple care explaine to them and request the refund and theyll refund it back to whatever card you used to buy it and you just go to the Applestore and buy a new one.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
So just to clear, everyone recommends you take out sim card before you send it to the buyer?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
correct. tehres no reason to leave your sm card in the phone. theyre gonn use their own sim card not yours.

aahitman

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Denton, TX
When I activated my old iPhone for my wife it wouldn't allow me to change the phone number because it was reading it off of the sim card. I had to change the sim card to hers out of her phone so it would allow the new phone number. So if you send the sim with the phone whoever sctivates it is going to have problems plus he will have your number.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i sold mine on ebay a few weeks ago and i got $360 for it! i was prety thrilled because that paid for my new phone easily.

DEFINANTELY take the sim card out. no reason to send them yours. they have to use their own anyway.

i did not unlock it, but i wrote in the listing "why have someone else unlock your phone and possibly mess it up with malicious software when you can do it yourself for FREE and ensure its done properly"

i think that lined helped people realize that theres no reason to pay more for an aleady unlocked phone when they can just search the internet and do it themselves.

im currently selling my new 3g iPhone on ebay. when i saw how much they were going for i couldnt resist. i will just buy a new one in a couple days when they are back in full stock

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK

I have 1.1.4 and I am going to try and unlock it. It is already jailbroken. how hard is it to unlock? Just follow ziPhone instructions (I think that was the program).

Thanks in advance.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i don't know, i have never unlocked before. but yes i assume its easy as hell. just follow the instructions

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I used iLiberty to jailbreak and unlock my 4-gigger, took out the sim, and sold it on ebay last night for 315 bucks! I included my old cases since the iPhone 3G doesn't fit in them.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I used iLiberty to jailbreak and unlock my 4-gigger, took out the sim, and sold it on ebay last night for 315 bucks! I included my old cases since the iPhone 3G doesn't fit in them.
Congratulations, thats awesome!:laugh2:

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
i

im currently selling my new 3g iPhone on ebay. when i saw how much they were going for i couldnt resist. i will just buy a new one in a couple days when they are back in full stock
How can you possibly due this? I heard AT&T inactivates the serial number if you do not go through with the plan and they don't get their 3g back so no one else could activate it.