How much data are you using per month?

ZAT

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Wife - 5.8 Gb
Me - 1.1 Gb

We're about half way through billing cycle. Mine used to be lots more till they put in wifi at the gym.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I had the 10gb a month from AT&T between 4 phones and used about 6-8gb a month. Almost went over a few times. So AT&T is running a promo til the end of October get 30gb of data for the price of 15gb a month. So now I know that I have enough data and don't have to worry about micro managing 4 phones when the data allowance is running low. Double 15gb of data to 30gb for the price of 15gb why not?

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I had the 10gb a month from AT&T between 4 phones and used about 6-8gb a month. Almost went over a few times. So AT&T is running a promo til the end of October get 30gb of data for the price of 15gb a month. So now I know that I have enough data and don't have to worry about micro managing 4 phones when the data allowance is running low. Double 15gb of data to 30gb for the price of 15gb why not?
I'm in the same boat, with four iPhones and four iPads. We are constantly bumping up to, and frequently going over, our 10gb limit. I went ahead and upgraded to 30gb plan and told my wife and adult children to have a good time with streaming youtube and music anytime they desire. No more monitoring their data throughout the month :)

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Ever since I got the new phone I have been using an extremely high amount of data. I used to be about 2GB a month. In September I got the phone on the 29th and within 2 days went through 1GB. Then for October I'm right at 3GB. I'm using a much higher amount.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Ever since I got the new phone I have been using an extremely high amount of data. I used to be about 2GB a month. In September I got the phone on the 29th and within 2 days went through 1GB. Then for October I'm right at 3GB. I'm using a much higher amount.
One word: WiFi. Speaking of that, since you have an iPhone 6 and it's possible to make calls/receive messages without a data plan, do we really need it any more? I've been thinking about that.

I did a bit of research and found out that WiFi calling is only available to T-Mobile customers. The feature known as WiFi Unleashed is part of iOS 8. It should be coming to other carriers in later months.

Last edited:

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
????

ZAT

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Tinkering with a new device to get the feel can account for some increased data dump, but it check your settings to make sure you don't have background processes sucking down data. The phone by itself shouldn't be using more info.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
One word: WiFi. Speaking of that, since you have an iPhone 6 and it's possible to make calls/receive messages without a data plan, do we really need it any more? I've been thinking about that.

I did a bit of research and found out that WiFi calling is only available to T-Mobile customers. The feature known as WiFi Unleashed is part of iOS 8. It should be coming to other carriers in later months.
Yes, we still need data for internet in places that don't have WiFi.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
How do you guys/gals use so much data in unlimited plan? Don't you get throttled after 5gb? You would pretty much have to do non stop download 24 hours a day 7 days a week on the throttled speed.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
How much are you paying for 30gb? It cost me $120 for a 3gb data package and unlimited mins/text.
It's $160/ month for 15gb but it's doubled to 30gb with AT&T. You have to switch before 10/31 to take advantage of the promo. You can also do the 10gb data plan and it's doubled to 20gb if you speak with Retention.

Reactions: silvermoon

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It's $160/ month for 15gb but it's doubled to 30gb with AT&T. You have to switch before 10/31 to take advantage of the promo. You can also do the 10gb data plan and it's doubled to 20gb if you speak with Retention.
That would be better than what I currently have. On Verizon's loyalty program, it is $120+taxes for 3gb/unl talk/text.

How does AT&T's network compare to Verizon? That would be my only concern.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
How do you guys/gals use so much data in unlimited plan? Don't you get throttled after 5gb? You would pretty much have to do non stop download 24 hours a day 7 days a week on the throttled speed.
Well as far me. i have T-mobile unlimited and unthrottled data plan. for which i pay 80.00 a month. and use my phone from 6am to midnight 5 days a week. and use XBMC to watch everything from movies to all sports evnets like all NFL games NHL,MLB,NBA etc live and for free. so to say i use alot of data is a under-statment :)