How much is a first generation iPhone worth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spif91, Dec 5, 2012.

1. spif91

spif91 Member
    Bronze

I recently found my original iPhone 2G from June of 07' in the back of one of my dresser drawers I was cleaning out. Cracked screen and dented all to heck.....Wished I'd kept it in much better shape. Anyway I was at work last night and a buddy of mine pulled another day 1 original out of his pocket to show me a list of audiobooks that he was listening to and I said can I check out the phone. I jotted down the serial number and just now checked it online and sure enough it was manufactured in Jan 07 and sold on launch day in June. I told him I'd like to buy the phone and would give him 50 bucks for it on the spot. He said it was his sons and would check to see if he wanted to sell it. My ? is how much do you think the 07 original is worth? It is in perfect shape without a scratch or ding on it. Looks like it just came out of the box.

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

A quick look on Ebay is showing a high bid of $83 on a first gen ending in 5 minutes. Second highest is at $67. Folks with phones starting with a $75 or higher Buy it now are going unbid.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That's a tuff call..

I did a little research and eBay trade in offered $7 and a few eBay sales were in the $60 range.. I found an older Craigslist ad for one in Sacramento, CA for $20 and I found a few older forum posts on other sites where one seller was asking for $200..

The phone basically only has collector / nostalgic value. Depending on how bad someone wants it, the sale price could be much higher than the actual value of the phone,

I think $50 is a fair offer for an old (ancient technology in the phone world) phone..

I don't think there is an answer to your question though as what it's worth and what it could sell for given the right buyer are probably night and day numbers.

4. Allan knight

Allan knight Member
    Bronze

If you like the Phone and want it as a collectible, buy it. You never know what a nice looking old phone will be worth down the road. I had the big Motorola phone back in 1990. I wish I had that phone as a collectible today.

5. spif91

spif91 Member
    Bronze

I was thinking along the collectible line myself. It is such an icon already. Never know what it might be worth in another 20 years....Thnx

6. Allan knight

Allan knight Member
    Bronze

Now I really wish I still had that big ole Motorola phone

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I still have my old Motorola "Brick" that I got in 1994. The last time I tried to fire it up was a year ago. It won't connect to anything since it is analog but it did light up when I tried it. Thanks for the reminder, Ill have to dig it up and charge the batteries and give it a try for kicks.

8. Allan knight

Allan knight Member
    Bronze

When I first got mine, few if any one here in jax fl had one. I remember driving down the freeway and as soon as I saw a pretty girl, I would pretend to be talking on my phone. Damnit man, those were the days.