How much is a .Mac membership for emails?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Is Apple mail free? My trial expired and it says I have to upgrade.. how much is it?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
free for 60days.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
100 a year for e-mail thats a joke...
When Apple first announced it, I thought "$100? What are they smoking?" But after I took the trial, it has much more features than just for e-mail. They also provide quite a bit of disk space as well as backup capabilities. If you have multiple Macs, it's easily worth the price for syncing bookmarks and contacts automatically. Some of the Mac's publishing features also rely on .mac so it all fits together. I'd imagine syncing direct to .mac from the iPhone will be coming sooner than later as well.

IMHO unless you have multiple machines, it may or may not be worth the price.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
I only have one mac but the email program is excellent and the webmail is great if you need to access it on their website. Its cool because its not like POP where i get the email as unread everywhere, if i check it on my iPhone it doesn't show up as new in Mail, etc.

The disk space is great 1GB for whatever u need to access from pretty much anywhere.

The backup and stuff is great too. definitely worth it.

Its less then 30 cents a day.

Professor

Jul 4, 2007
Dot Mac also includes Backup, Apple's only Backup software. The only way to acquire Backup is to buy Dot Mac. While Backup is not as extensive as Retrospect and other backup software, it more than suffices for most home use and students. Dot Mac gives you access to the online Learning Center. It has over 80 hours of video tutorials and covers most aspects of Mac OS X and the iLife suite. It also has numerious tutorials that are not videos and read online or printed. Dot Mac is discounted to $69 when you buy it the same day that you buy a new Mac. Some Apple stores will allow you to renew Dot Mac for $69 if you purchase it in store.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I just started using iWeb to post my new blog, and it is hosted within .mac. :laugh2: If you use everything that it comes with than its worth it, if your just looking for mail, than no way.

flavius

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I always found .Mac a little pricey for what it offers. Steve Jobs has acknowledged on many occasions that it's time for an overhaul.

There's something in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be yet another joint venture with Google.

:laugh2:

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I only have one mac but the email program is excellent and the webmail is great if you need to access it on their website. Its cool because its not like POP where i get the email as unread everywhere, if i check it on my iPhone it doesn't show up as new in Mail, etc.

The disk space is great 1GB for whatever u need to access from pretty much anywhere.

Yes, yes. I have been a member since it was free (iTools). I happily renew my subscription each year. Love all the freebies and especially access to Backup.

soulbarn

Aug 1, 2007
There's an email only version of .Mac for $9? I've never seen that option - only the option to add an email alias to .Mac (meaning if you have an old .Mac email that you want to merge with a new account.)

Where's the $9 option? Is there documentation for it, or is it a "secret feature," like Green Tea Frappucinos at my local Starbux? :)

Yes, yes. I have been a member since it was free (iTools). I happily renew my subscription each year. Love all the freebies and especially access to Backup.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Whoever said it was $9? Way back when it was FREE. But then Apple decided to charge for it. I think you can get a free trial for period of time but then it's $99 a year, with additional storage at additional cost.

sruize

Aug 2, 2007

why pay $100 for .mac and my aol membership os free for life as long as I have hi speed Internet

cybergreg

Jul 21, 2007
I find the value of a .mac account. In fact I just switched to a family pack. Oh and you should check eBay for large discounts. I picked up my family pack for $89.00 (yes, less than single membership). :cool: