How much memory does the iPhone come with?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spardis

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Does it acctually come with 8Gb. Because when i bought my xbox 360 20Gb harddrive it only had 12 GB. So how much memory does the iPhone acctually have.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I got this one guys...

Around 7 something.

Use search please, chris is just getting this place back to normal.

LoL, never thought i'd ever tell someone to use search.

:p

Rel82me

Feb 25, 2009
Guys, the operating systems sets aside some disk space for file names, file allocation tables, etc. This is essentially a "reference point" and tells operating system where it can find information (files) on the storage device. Of course, the larger the disk, the larger chunk of space is taken up for the file system information.

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
Guys, the operating systems sets aside some disk space for file names, file allocation tables, etc. This is essentially a "reference point" and tells operating system where it can find information (files) on the storage device. Of course, the larger the disk, the larger chunk of space is taken up for the file system information.
also the whole 1000MB vs. 1024MB ordeal too:cool:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Does it acctually come with 8Gb. Because when i bought my xbox 360 20Gb harddrive it only had 12 GB. So how much memory does the iPhone acctually have.
Memory (RAM) is 128MB
Drive Space is 7.4GB of usable storage space.

Rel82me

Feb 25, 2009
Ram

Memory (RAM) is 128MB
Drive Space is 7.4GB of usable storage space.
Now you talking about two two very different, types me memory.

RAM is very "dynamic" in nature and very fast. Your hard drive on the other hand tends to be "static" - all though data is written to and from the hard disk (static), when you power down, the data is retained whereas in RAM, it's not retained (it's lost).

Data is written to/from the your hard disk, buffered in RAM (on the hard drive to speed up read/write access) then moved from their to the physical RAM (128MB) on your machine.

Your CPU then requests data (instruction) from RAM (128MB) for execution. To complicate things a little further, todays CPU's ship with RAM on the CPU as well, again, to speed up or pre-fetch data.

If you want to complicate things further, and in addition to a buffer on your harddisk, we can toss in a "page file" which acts and behaves much like RAM, but resides directly on the disk.

There's more, but I think this is enough :)

sigh.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Now you talking about two two very different, types me memory.

RAM is very "dynamic" in nature and very fast. Your hard drive on the other hand tends to be "static" - all though data is written to and from the hard disk (static), when you power down, the data is retained whereas in RAM, it's not retained (it's lost).

Data is written to/from the your hard disk, buffered in RAM (on the hard drive to speed up read/write access) then moved from their to the physical RAM (128MB) on your machine.

Your CPU then requests data (instruction) from RAM (128MB) for execution. To complicate things a little further, todays CPU's ship with RAM on the CPU as well, again, to speed up or pre-fetch data.

If you want to complicate things further, and in addition to a buffer on your harddisk, we can toss in a "page file" which acts and behaves much like RAM, but resides directly on the disk.

There's more, but I think this is enough :)

sigh.
I know all of this already. I was answering and clarifying for the OP. He asked how much memory the iPhone had in the title, and then in the post started talking about drive space, which is a common mixup among the less knowledgeable PC users.