How much ram does the iPhone have?

SPCartmanLand

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
On the iPhone (Original 2G), I was wondering what processor it is using and the speed. Also, how much RAM is in the iPhone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 20, 2008
whats all this 512mb ram ive been seeing? false?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Regardless of the actual number, it's really amazing what it does with so little if you think about it.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Note that the CPU is run at ~300 MHz in order to save battery.

Edit: Woof. Never post while typing on an iPod Touch at midnight. The correct speed is a little over 400Mhz.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
whatever the number is.. just think how small it is and how much it does.. Size does not matter ;)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Yes it's amazing what fits in a pocket these days. And I'm sure that my kids will see astonishing stuff in the future.

Many of us used 1mhz or slower computers with tiny amounts of memory. And they ran very nice games and other apps. So today's devices should seem fast. :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it's amazing the progress when you reverse-engineer alien technology.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It is amazing what it can do with so little. I've had Installer refreshing sources, music playing, iSolitare running, and be browsing Safari without any slowing down or heating up.

- John

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I wish we could run the CPU at full clock while plugged in.

As a matter of fact, why isn't there more power management configuration on the iPhone like there is on notebooks and such? Things like dimming the screen while on battery, slowing the CPU down, auto sleep...and when you plug in, staying at full brightness, full CPU speed, and staying awake...

It's running at 412MHz, btw, not 600some

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
As a matter of fact, why isn't there more power management configuration on the iPhone like there is on notebooks and such? ...
Wonder how much Apple would allow something like that? Or like this:

I have a third party speed manager on an WM phone. It normally runs at 500MHZ, but drops down much lower for certain low-need states, and overclocks to over 700MHz for certain apps.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
It is amazing what it can do with so little. I've had Installer refreshing sources, music playing, iSolitare running, and be browsing Safari without any slowing down or heating up.

- John
That's truly amazing! I would really enjoy just browsing and listening to my tunes.;) So if it will do those 2 things flawlessly I'm good!

fourtheye28

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I thought flash drives don't need volatile memory because there is no lag time? Maybe I'm wrong and flash has memory dedicated to dump but...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, flash memory is different than RAM. While flash is definitely much faster than a standard magnetic disk, it is still not quite as fast as RAM.

also, flash memory has a finite number of erase-write cycles, so maybe using RAM somehow diminishes these.

fourtheye28

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Somehow the lengthy post from my iPhone got deleted...Go figure. I was saying that I know computers (used to build them years ago) and a HDD needs RAM to do its instant work. There are a few MS lag time (11,15,18 etc) and RAM is there to expedite the process.. Ok so far so good. Flash is instant thereforee requiring no lag time and no ram. So hear that people! I DON'T THINK THE iPhone HAS ANY RAM. A Cache? Yes absolutely. There are memory hungry components in the iPhone. How big? 18 megs? 128 megs? Who knows.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Of course the iPhone has RAM, otherwise its CPU couldn't run any programs.

It cannot run code from the Flash memory. It's a special hi-density Flash designed only for storage... it's not random access and it's fairly slow at retrieval and can only be written to in 256K blocks.

Whenever you run a program, it's loaded from Flash into the ~128MB RAM, and executed from there.

This is a reason why Apple decided that only one third party program will be allowed to run at a time... they're totally avoiding dealing with the usual problem of memory competition.