How much RAM in the iPhone 6S?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sschep1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I'm trying to find out what the memory situation is for the iPhone 6S. I know, with Apple, that RAM isn't as big of a deal with iOS as it is for android operating systems. Androids usually require more memory because their software is lacking. Can anyone fill me in?? Thanks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yes I read some articles but why wouldn't Apple just put that in the tech specs? It's almost like their hiding something.
Apple doesn't list RAM for iOS devices on the tech specs and they don't cover it in the Keynotes. We usually have to wait for the device tear downs.

Everything I've read since the Keynote indicates 2 GB. It appears Apple has told their employees how much it has and that it is okay to disclose that. Also, 2 GB is in line with the A9 chipset it has.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
More RAM would also shorten battery life, wouldn't it?
Apple claims that it will have identical battery life. Even though the battery has a slightly smaller capacity and the phone has more RAM, this is possible due to optimizations to decrease power consumption.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
More RAM would also shorten battery life, wouldn't it?
Theoretically. It's hard to say how much exactly. My guess is it would be negligible.

Apple doesn't openly advertise their RAM specs because it's not an apple-apple comparison with other manufacturers. iOS handles memory differently than Android and Windows mobile, so it doesn't have the same memory requirements.