How much total for an iPhone in my case?

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
I am currently in a contract with Cingular and it ends in about three months. I have always wanted to get an iPhone, but I don't want the large bill associated with it. I understand that many people do obtain this phone and unlock it where they eventually go to T-mobile and use the phone with them.

How much am I going to pay if I got a new iPhone from cingular (with new contract) and pay an early termination fee? Is this even possible? Has anyone done something similar to what I am doing? Any advice? I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a used iPhone because I am unsure about its condition.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
you cant get a new iPhone with cingular. You can only get a new iPhone with AT&T. This question sorta confused me. :oops:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
you would have to give the phone back in order to terminate your contract early

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I understand that many people do obtain this phone and unlock it where they eventually go to T-mobile and use the phone with them.
What's the price for a T-Mobile Plan plus an unlimited Data plan.

I pay around $250 to $275, but have 3 iPhones with AT&T (formaly known as Cingular)

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
You can always buy a NEW unlocked iPhone 3G off ebay but expect to pay out the wazoo.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
How much am I going to pay if I got a new iPhone from cingular (with new contract) and pay an early termination fee?
It's a little over $600 if you don't use the service and cancel after 30days (total cost including phone price and termination), just to answer yor question.

Believe that was a 16GB

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Sorry I have been with cingular for so long. I am sorry for any confusion. I thought that cingular and At&t were the same company but different names right? I really don't keep up with these kinds of things sorry. But that is a very steep price of 600 dollars.

How much am I typically looking to spend on ebay?
Would anyone here recommend craigslist? Anything I should be aware of such as scammers or faulty iPhones? I would much rather deal locally if I do end up buying used, which might be likely now. The prices there seem to be ~$500.

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
What's the price for a T-Mobile Plan plus an unlimited Data plan.

I pay around $250 to $275, but have 3 iPhones with AT&T (formaly known as Cingular)

I don't know if it varies with area, but from what I've been told or seen, it's 6-7 dollars a month without text. Text alone is an extra $20 more a month.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Sorry I have been with cingular for so long. I am sorry for any confusion. I thought that cingular and At&t were the same company but different names right? I really don't keep up with these kinds of things sorry. But that is a very steep price of 600 dollars.

How much am I typically looking to spend on ebay?
Would anyone here recommend craigslist? Anything I should be aware of such as scammers or faulty iPhones? I would much rather deal locally if I do end up buying used, which might be likely now. The prices there seem to be ~$500.
No, it was totally my fault. Before it was AT&T here it was Cellular One. Which nobody else has except my area. We never had Cingular in this location. Sorry again!

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
^^ Totally understandable. No one is perfect. Glad to see things are cleared up now.

mashnost

Aug 20, 2008
Depends on what kind of iPhone you want. An 8GB iPhone will cost you $199. That will automatically set you to $30 a month for unlimited data plan. If you want unlimited text, that will run you an extra $20 or you can usually get 200 messages for about $5 a month. Add that price to whatever calling plan you have and that is what it will cost you. Right now they are offering a $99 unlimited voice plan or you could get 450 minutes for $40. Add it all up with the lowest plan, you're looking at $70 an month or $90 with text and 450 minutes and month. Does that help? You should be able to transfer to an iPhone now as an upgrade, they usually allow that within 6 months of your contract end date.

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Depends on what kind of iPhone you want. An 8GB iPhone will cost you $199. That will automatically set you to $30 a month for unlimited data plan. If you want unlimited text, that will run you an extra $20 or you can usually get 200 messages for about $5 a month. Add that price to whatever calling plan you have and that is what it will cost you. Right now they are offering a $99 unlimited voice plan or you could get 450 minutes for $40. Add it all up with the lowest plan, you're looking at $70 an month or $90 with text and 450 minutes and month. Does that help? You should be able to transfer to an iPhone now as an upgrade, they usually allow that within 6 months of your contract end date.
Is that a family plan or individual plan? I'm looking to get a family plan. What's the lowest number of minutes they offer with the 3G phone witha family plan? We don't talk that much on the phone, maybe at most on lucky months 200 minutes a month. And if I can transfer to an iPhone will that extend my contract another two years? Or another two years on top of what I have lefr on my current contract?

mashnost

Aug 20, 2008
Looks like the cheapest family plan is $70 for 700 minutes, that includes 2 phones and unlimited night and weekend. So, total if you got an iPhone $100 a month for the family plan and unlimited data...add $20 for unlimited text and $9.99 for an extra phone line. I think if you resign a contract, the contract starts from the day you sign the new one, not according to the end date of your old contract...ask at the ATT store for a definitive answer. Hope that helps!

asdfsad

May 30, 2008
Looks like the cheapest family plan is $70 for 700 minutes, that includes 2 phones and unlimited night and weekend. So, total if you got an iPhone $100 a month for the family plan and unlimited data...add $20 for unlimited text and $9.99 for an extra phone line. I think if you resign a contract, the contract starts from the day you sign the new one, not according to the end date of your old contract...ask at the ATT store for a definitive answer. Hope that helps!

I currently have that family plan. But according to cingular site, the cheapest family plan for the iPhone is 129.99

Last edited by a moderator:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I currently have that family plan. But according to cingular site, the cheapest family plan for the iPhone is 129.99.
If you currently have a family plan you can keep it. You just have to pay the iPhone data plan on top of the family plan voice.

Last edited by a moderator: