How much would internet service (USB modem) cost in the US?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Hey there,

I'm going to New York on January 7th and I just found out that internet in guest-rooms is going to cost about $15 bucks a day and that's a lot. I'm not going to be using the internet a lot, but mostly to chat with the family and stuff on Skype as well as use Google Maps to get directions to visit cool places I haven't been there before. :D

Anyway, I was wondering if buying a USB modem with a service (from AT&T, Verizon, or w.e) would be a nice solution? And how much would it cost me? And limited or unlimited?

Any information is appreciated. I'll be staying for 7 nights.

Thank you.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Free wifi at coffee shops like Starbucks an option?
Some hotels include free internet but New York may be different.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can't think of a cheaper option than using the hotel's WiFi. You'll also probably be able to find nearby WiFi hotspots that are free.

Is your iPhone unlocked? If so, I'm pretty sure you could get an AT&T prepaid SIM card with data and minutes. I can call AT&T and ask about the rates and how easy it is to enable data if you'd like.

I hope you have a great vacation! Have you been to New York before?

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Tarek, do you have friends or family here in NYC? If so they could go to AT&T or Verizon and pick up a Wifi hotspot for you. They would have 30 days to check it out and return it. All you would pay is the monthly fee ;-). I tried Clear , Verizon and finally kept the AT&T hotspot for when i travel.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Free wifi at coffee shops like Starbucks an option?
Some hotels include free internet but New York may be different.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
I believe I read that Wi-Fi is free in the lobby and some other areas in the hotel but I'd much rather chat (A&V) with the family and friends in the courtesy of my room rather than in public. I know that might sound weird, but that's just me.

I can't think of a cheaper option than using the hotel's WiFi. You'll also probably be able to find nearby WiFi hotspots that are free.

Is your iPhone unlocked? If so, I'm pretty sure you could get an AT&T prepaid SIM card with data and minutes. I can call AT&T and ask about the rates and how easy it is to enable data if you'd like.

I hope you have a great vacation! Have you been to New York before?
I don't have any iPhone anymore, unfortunately. I'd really like to buy a line for my BlackBerry in order to use BBM and also to be able to get in touch with my friends in NY. Maybe I can check with AT&T for something like that. And yes, I have been to Manhattan in 2008 during the elections. It was very nice but that is also why I'm not that interested about going this time since, well, I've already been there. I'm hopefully going again this summer to UCLA for a summer-abroad program; two courses that will count in my university's credit hours and also a very fun, learning, and exciting experience, so it's a win-win situation for me. I also heard California is awesome.

Tarek, do you have friends or family here in NYC? If so they could go to AT&T or Verizon and pick up a Wifi hotspot for you. They would have 30 days to check it out and return it. All you would pay is the monthly fee ;-). I tried Clear , Verizon and finally kept the AT&T hotspot for when i travel.
I do! Maybe I can check that out. Thanks.