How Multi is the touchscreen?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
The Multitouch system.. does multi mean one or two points of contact only?

Can you poke the phone in.. say.... three places? The most practical place you would need three points would be in games.

Has anyone heard, read, seen anything on this?

Thx in advance.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
The Multitouch system.. does multi mean one or two points of contact only?

Can you poke the phone in.. say.... three places? The most practical place you would need three points would be in games.

Has anyone heard, read, seen anything on this?

Thx in advance.
I did some looking around and this is the technology that Apple adopted. You will recognize some of these multi-touch gestures in the second video. Enjoy!

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
I did some looking around and this is the technology that Apple adopted. You will recognize some of these multi-touch gestures in the second video. Enjoy!
That has to be the single best UI, if you can call it a UI that I have ever seen.

I was asking about the iPhone and wound up with the Minority Report computer.. lol

Anyways, I saw someone said it was possible for up to 15 points of contact on the iPhone.

I wonder how many there actually will be.

Thx for the most excellent link.

May 6, 2007
United States
Nice, thanks for the good article. I liked the videos and did some extra exploring through the linked pages (throughout the article). It was a lot of fun to watch, thanks again!

Lol box, finally some with more posts per day than me... For now... :D

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
That has to be the single best UI, if you can call it a UI that I have ever seen.

I was asking about the iPhone and wound up with the Minority Report computer.. lol

Anyways, I saw someone said it was possible for up to 15 points of contact on the iPhone.

I wonder how many there actually will be.

Thx for the most excellent link.
I would like to see someone use all 15 points with only 10 fingers lol!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I bet in 2 years or less Apple will be selling computers with this UI.
Pretty bold prediction eh?

Multitouch has been around almost as long as the mouse itself. While this kind of technology has its applications, 2D will still rule the deskop for along time to come because ultimately it still works better for most things.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Well.. there is the iPhone.
The screen is just too small to have that kind of "freedom."
It seems to me that Apple is taking the right step as well. Just add in a few of the elemental features of this new style of GUI. Get your feet wet and begin to understand the inherent problems, etc.

I think MS is taking the wrong approach in trying to implement a full version of a new GUI on a completely new hardware platform.

I think we are seeing small glimses of a whole new generation of computing. Looking at how these two companies are approaching it, my money is on Apple.