How often should I reboot my iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by iPutz, Jul 5, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I dumped my land line about a year ago and now use my iPhone only. Before that I would plug in my Phone every night and then shut it down, restarting it in the morning when I got up. Now without the land line, I have to leave the phone running 24/7. I do occasionally reboot the phone because of some minor issue or if I remember that it needs to be done once in a while, but often should I reboot it to keep it running smoothly?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I do a reboot of mine every night before plugin it in for the night

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple hasn't specified a timeframe or need for reboots, so you'll find that this is very individual. I do a hard reset if I'm experiencing any problems with the phone. Otherwise, I only reboot every month or so if it's running smoothly.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Here I thought I got the nightly hard reset from you ;)

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think I used to recommend daily reboots (more realistically I probably only did them every few days), but I stopped seeing a need to do that a few years back. It was probably the memory upgrades and OS optimizations that stopped the lag we used to sometimes get when we went too long without rebooting.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Y'all. From what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, I guess I'll stay with what I've been doing which is much the same as Europa does. If I have a problem I reboot or if I think it's been a while then I'll reboot. I haven't been having much in the way of problems, I was just curious about what was working for others.

7. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Apple updates so often i feel it's gets enough re-booting, i don't leave ming on charge at night as it does not lose much battery.

8. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The iPhone not losing much charge overnight is especially true of the iPhone 7. I was purposely truing to run the battery down to where the phone would shut itself down. I went to bed with 4% left of the battery's charge, figuring it would shut down sometime during the night and when I got up 7 hours later it was still on 4%. I had to set the screen to full brightness and stop the phone from going into auto lock for almost 30 minutes before it finally shut itself down.

#8 iPutz, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Why is it so important to run the batter all the way down?
    I don't find this in Apples instructions. Maybe it's something that has been done by many with other Li battery devices, but i feel it's not needed with my iPhone battery.
    I have two iPads 2&4 both have been plugged in since new as i don't take them outside, they have always worked fine, i have tried them without being plugged in and the batteries keep them going.
    I as l have two Samsung tablets and have done the exact same thing, one had a bad charger and battery swelled and split the case, took some tough talk with Samsung about a year ago, but they ended up fixing the tablet and giving me a new charger, today i bet i would have better treatment from Samsung :)

Same happened to a Samsung phone i just pitched it and returned to an Apple iPhone, staying with Apple today is a good idea IMHO.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Over time every Lithium Ion battery looses capacity irrespective of usage, to the tune of maybe 10% per year or worse and that loss can accelerate with age. The circuitry on the iDevice that computes the percentage of battery remaining doesn't know where the true 0% point is and the device may shut down while the battery meter says there is maybe 10% left. I have had this happen on my first two iPhones. Allowing the device to drain to the point of shutting down on its own resets the true zero point. I do this about every 4 to 6 months and have had no issues of unexpected early shutdowns since. Some people swear by this procedure and others say it's a load of toro poop. This procedure is sometimes referred to as battery calibration or battery meter calibration. If your battery never gets below 20-30% you won't see an issue. Research it and make up your own mind what is best for you.

#10 iPutz, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016