How often should the iPhone be turned off?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dovebar27

Jul 28, 2007
Hiya,

I haven't thought of this till now, actually...but should the iPhone ever be turned off (not counting turning it off to do a hard reboot)? I mean...are you supposed to keep it on all the time, or are you supposed to turn it off every night, or every few nights, etc? I don't remember reading about info on that in the "finger tips" pamphlet that came with the iPhone, so I thought I'd ask here. :)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Hiya,

I haven't thought of this till now, actually...but should the iPhone ever be turned off (not counting turning it off to do a hard reboot)? I mean...are you supposed to keep it on all the time, or are you supposed to turn it off every night, or every few nights, etc? I don't remember reading about info on that in the "finger tips" pamphlet that came with the iPhone, so I thought I'd ask here. :)
Turn it off and on at least once a day in order to clear the RAM. This cuts down on the applications closing to the home screen at random.

dovebar27

Jul 28, 2007
Cool, thanks for the responses. :) This question only occurred to me just now, after a Safari crash with CNN.com about an hour ago. It got me thinking back to the Sidekick II I owned a few years ago and how I was told to turn it off at least once a week--and when I did that, I didn't have many problems with that phone at all. I wondered if turning off the iPhone would prevent it from acting wonky during the day, just as it did with my Sidekick II, so I'm glad I asked. :)

PARADA6

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I turn off mine every night for about 10 mine just to refresh it after I found out that after discontinues running it for couple of days my "Slide to unlock" function isn't working very well: Sometimes it's lagging sometimes it's not working at all, but after a reboot it's all good.

Jul 27, 2007
Isn't having to turn it off an issue?

I would think that something this advanced (the iPhone), would not need you to turn it off otherwise it will cause problems like safari randomly shutting down and other things not working mentioned in this post.

I tried the iPhone in the store the other day and while I was surfing a page, it closed on me. I didn't know if I did something or what. Now I know.

Once again, another reason NOT to get an phone along with the other myriad of issues with the phone.

dovebar27

Jul 28, 2007
I would think that something this advanced (the iPhone), would not need you to turn it off otherwise it will cause problems like safari randomly shutting down and other things not working mentioned in this post.

I tried the iPhone in the store the other day and while I was surfing a page, it closed on me. I didn't know if I did something or what. Now I know.

Once again, another reason NOT to get an phone along with the other myriad of issues with the phone.
One question...just how many smartphones have you ever had?

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007

This guy needs help

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
One question...just how many smartphones have you ever had?
LOL...good call.

Every Treo I ever owned - 600, 650, 700 and 750 - crashed and or/required a hard reset multiple times PER DAY of normal use. Even my Motorola Q, which was much more stable, locked up at least every other day.

I have had my iPhone since the day they went on sale, and it has NEVER locked up on me. Occasionally Safari will close, or the iPod will stop playing if I'm doing a bunch of things at the same time, but the device itself has never frozen on me. As a matter of habit, I like to restart it once a day to clear the RAM and keep it running smoothly. Since I've been doing that, I find that Safari runs very reliably, and the device is even more stable.

This is far and away the most stable smartphone I've ever used. It's not even close.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I have never turned off any of my phones, well except when flying. Other then that they are on 24/7. I charge them up every night also. If I start having issues, like safari crashing I will reboot the phone, but other then that, it is always on.

mullman

Jul 18, 2007
I top off the battery every night, and reboot the phone every morning.

My battery life is good.
I have yet to have one site crash Safari, or another other crash for that matter.
Granted, I think sites are more to blame then something in the iPhone, but still...

Wife's iPhone similar, no crashes (yet).

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Hiya,

Having owned a hp Ipac, i had to reboot that thing like a billion times a day. This piece of amazement is so hot that it could proberly go all week before needing a reboot. Once a day, however, will keep her purring like a house cat.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Depends if you want phone calls while you sleep.

If not, you can turn it off or just use airplane mode (if you don't want calls, but are using it for an alarm clock).

I leave mine on 24/7... otherwise I forget to turn it back on half the time.

But turning it off at night may save a tiny bit of wear and tear on the battery, and a fresh reboot every morning won't hurt anything.