How protective are the Apple Silicone cases?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I'm considering getting an Apple silicone case for my 7+ but the open bottom worries me slightly. I rarely drop my phone so that's not really a huge issue but it still concerns me. Talk me out of my worries.....the cases are so pretty!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm considering getting an Apple silicone case for my 7+ but the open bottom worries me slightly. I rarely drop my phone so that's not really a huge issue but it still concerns me. Talk me out of my worries.....the cases are so pretty!
I highly recommend them. The case covers the edges at the bottom. The edges protect the phone when dropped. I've been using this style of case exclusively for two years now with no problems. I actually love the cutout at the bottom because it allows you to see the color of the phone, makes connecting to docks and adapters easy and decrease the bulk that cases typically add.

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I highly recommend them. The case covers the edges at the bottom. The edges protect the phone when dropped. I've been using this style of case exclusively for two years now with no problems. I actually love the cutout at the bottom because it allows you to see the color of the phone, makes connecting to docks and adapters easy and decrease the bulk that cases typically add.
Thanks! I think I'll pick one up tomorrow. Now biggest decision is choosing the color for my gold phone.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The demo ones in the store have been handled by quite a few people so they may not seem to be too slippery, but new ones are very slippery ( at least mine was ). The sides aren't so bad but the back just feels real slick in my hands.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I disagree. I do not think Apple's silicone cases are slippery. They actually provide more grip than I want, which is why I prefer the leather. I think they provide the perfect amount of grip.

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The demo ones in the store have been handled by quite a few people so they may not seem to be too slippery, but new ones are very slippery ( at least mine was ). The sides aren't so bad but the back just feels real slick in my hands.
I did end up getting the silicone case in the Sea Blue color. It definitely has a very smooth silky feel but I don't feel it's slippery at all. I'm actually very pleased with it so far

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I disagree. I do not think Apple's silicone cases are slippery. They actually provide more grip than I want, which is why I prefer the leather. I think they provide the perfect amount of grip.
I bought one today and I don't find it slippery, it actually provides a nice grip, at least for me it does

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe that smooth silky feel is what I would call slippery ;)
How long did you use an Apple case? Perhaps you were comparing it to something that provided a higher amount of grip and that made you think of it as slippery? I ask because I have used these cases for a couple years and would never use that word to describe them. It provides resistance from sliding on surfaces or out of my hands, but isn't so tacky/sticky that it sticks to pockets. The phone itself is very slippery. If I take my leather case off and use the phone naked, I find it extremely easy to drop. This is at least partly because I forget the case is off and continue to hold it with the lighter grip the case allows. Plastic cases feel slippery to me and don't really slow the phone down when you slide it on a table, unlike Apple's cases. There are cases out there that provide more grip that Apple's, but I think their silicone case is a good choice if you prefer moderate grip and minimal bulk.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Still using the silicone case. It's not a bad case at all though, but maybe I'm still getting used to the size of the 7+
Muscle memory is still used to an iPhone 5 in a LifeProof case which does have some grip on the edges because of the rubberized type material on the sides.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
I use the Apple silicone case because I carry my phone in my t-shirt pocket. The silicone provides just enough grip that the phone doesn't fall out of my pocket when I lean over. The Apple leather case slips out way too easily. Love the look of the leather, but it's just not practical for me. The silicone is the ideal solution for me.