How realistic is an iPhone for everyday use?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I had a 8GB, but took it back as I had buyers remorse over the total cost of having to cancel my Tmobile contract, but now I'm having remorse AGAIN over not having one because I am a whore for everything Apple. I have 2 iPods and my personal computer is a Macbook, so having an Apple cell phone makes sense. I am currently using a Blackberry Pearl, but push email is not really a requirement for my job or anything, I just like it. I am also a little OCD and the fingerprints all over the face of the iPhone drove me insane when I had it, so I take that into consideration when I think about re-purchasing one. So, I guess I want to hear opinions from real users who carry one everyday. :cool:

p.s. i really just need convincing to buy one again :p

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I had a 8GB, but took it back as I had buyers remorse over the total cost of having to cancel my Tmobile contract, but now I'm having remorse AGAIN over not having one because I am a whore for everything Apple. I have 2 iPods and my personal computer is a Macbook, so having an Apple cell phone makes sense. I am currently using a Blackberry Pearl, but push email is not really a requirement for my job or anything, I just like it. I am also a little OCD and the fingerprints all over the face of the iPhone drove me insane when I had it, so I take that into consideration when I think about re-purchasing one. So, I guess I want to hear opinions from real users who carry one everyday. :cool:

I wouldn't think twice about not buying one again. I was the same at first. But gave it a shot. After almost 3 weeks now, I am attached to it. It goes everywhere i go. Im a gym nut, so I take it with me daily and I use the Ipod at work/car (linked to my pioneer indash dvd). Battery life could not be better, I can go about 2.5 days on a charge and still have 20% remaining. So far it has been the best phone (although lacking some features) but it does a job higher and beyond my i930 Smartphone which I only use the nextel part of it for work. Long story short, go buy another one, the iPhone is hands down IMHO.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
It has fit into my life in wonderful ways. Though I've wanted a combo cellphone, PDA, internet device for YEARS, I never even realized just how much I'd use it.

I text with my husband and daughter nearly every day. My daughter is a teen, so it is really helpful in keeping tabs on her. My brother and friends also keep in touch with me through text and SMS-to-AIM.

Nearly everything I need to remember goes in the calendar.

I've used the stopwatch to keep track of how long hubby and I have walked (we embarked recently on a healtheir lifestyle). I also use the iPod portion when I walk on the treadmill.

I have an alarm set on it right now to remind me when hubby needs medicine again (he's down with some kind of flu).

I have it bluetooth connected to my car for phone calls. I have all my contacts from my home computer comfortable in there for quick reference, either for e-mail or phone.

I'm now able to keep easy tabs on work e-mails and stay in touch with my job when I'm out on the go and away from my home computer, or unable to bring a laptop.

I use notes quite a bit to jot down things I need to reference later. Previously I was doing this on scraps of paper which inevitably would end up lost. No more receipts at the gas station for tracking gas mileage either!

And I love LOVE L O V E having the internet at my fingertips whenever I need it. I've used it to price compare when shopping. I've used it to check the weather or read the news while in a waiting room (doctors office recently, hair salon last week). While sitting at the diner hubby and I can check the news (since we love to talk current events). I've even posted here while on the go ;)

It amazes me that I can do this with all one device... and makes me VERY happy. I have zero regrets in buying one... matter of fact, I've said it before and will say again, it's one of the best tech devices I've bought in a long time.

:p

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I am also a little OCD and the fingerprints all over the face of the iPhone drove me insane when I had it, so I take that into consideration when I think about re-purchasing one. So, I guess I want to hear opinions from real users who carry one everyday.
The fingerprint issue is MUCH MUCH less if you put a screen protector on it. I love my Bodyguardz - ultra-clear, and it picks up WAY less of the smudging and fingerprints. Other people swear by the Crystal Clear protector that they sell at the Apple store.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I've owned a Treo 600, 650, 700, 750 and a Motorola Q. I consider myself more of a businesss user, and while I'm disappointed at the iPhone's lack of functionality for businesss-oriented use, I still wouldn't trade mine for any other device on the market.

If there are 5 things the iPhone does poorly (or not at all), there are 20 other things it does far better than anything else I've ever used. I'm willing to endure some of the frustrations in hopes of more businesss-oriented updates. It's fun to use, has a beautiful form factor, and far more stable than other devices I've used.

UhhhFresh

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
just buy it. If you have to think about buying it after you have already returned it.. Then you obviously made a mistake on your part. Buy it, and buy it tomorrow. It does everything you want it to besides cook.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
What do you mean by everyday use? I've been using it since 6/29 and still loving it. Get the crystal film screen protector from the Apple store when you buy it, put it in a nice pocket alone and it's great.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
It's hard to explain... for people who use cellphones a lot it's a bit of a paradigm shift. It really is. Some will "get it" almost immediately and some won't. I kinda "got it" after the first few days.

If you use it a lot it will become apparent that it requires a slightly different way of thinking and a slightly different approach. It takes a little time since your brain is programmed the old way to expect certain things.

I'm still surprised every single time (after 2.5 weeks of daily use) when I pull the phone away from my ear to do something while on a phone call and realize (once again) that it goes dark when you put it up to your head to talk and comes back on (lights up) when you move it away.

Give it time. There's really no going back for me.

w5ttx

Jul 2, 2007
Texas

MAN! I'm right there with ya! Bought an iPhone, used it for two weeks, felt the remorse, took it back, bought a Nokia N95 (witch is AWESOME), sold it, and now I will be picking my second iPhone up tomorrow (7/25).
Go ahead BUY IT!

BegginJM

Jul 24, 2007
Upstate, SC
I've owned a Treo 600, 650, 700, 750 and a Motorola Q. I consider myself more of a businesss user, and while I'm disappointed at the iPhone's lack of functionality for businesss-oriented use, I still wouldn't trade mine for any other device on the market.

If there are 5 things the iPhone does poorly (or not at all), there are 20 other things it does far better than anything else I've ever used. I'm willing to endure some of the frustrations in hopes of more businesss-oriented updates. It's fun to use, has a beautiful form factor, and far more stable than other devices I've used.
I have been a longtime PDA user, Palm and WM5. I have to agree with jbaraga here. Although I never used all of the functions available in WM5 (mainly, because it was so darn awkward and time consuming, and never really worked quite right) I am very happy with the functionality of the iPhone. My 80 year old Mother should be able to use this phone intuitively (I will actually test her on this, this weekend).

I am able to communicate, in all programs, fairly effortlessly. No lockups so far. No regrets so far. I have waited for updates on all previous platforms, had issues on all previous models, and have patiently waited for the fixes to make it a better device, so nothing new there. The iPhone serves me very well as it is, anything else will be a bonus.

Just my lowly opinion!

iLawyer

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Jersey
Everyday use

As a lawyer, I live and die by my phone. I need it constantly for calls, email, SMS, calendar, and internet. Each of these features are great on the iPhone and I use them heavily everyday.

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
wow! these responses have been awesome! Someone mentioned a paradigm shift and I totally agree with that. Its a whole new way of looking and thinking about what a cell phone is and can be and as a result it almost scares you away :p I think I'm gonna have to visit the Apple store again soon

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I love this phone. Ic arry it everyday, everywhere I got mine on iday and ever since I go to work then come home and iam either on this phone, on this site or on this site with my phone just like I am now. Its addictive. I stay up late just to lay in bed and surf with the iPhone on this forum .. I need help I admit it. My name is neo and I am an iphone-olic

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY

i use my iPhone everyday since purchase. I asked myself... How did i get by with out one. Finger prints is a small issue to deal with . It may lack a few features like IM and text forwarding , but at the end of the day i get all my work done with the aid of my iPhone.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Seriously, when you go get your iPhone buy the crystal cover at the Apple Store, you won't regret it. You can hardly tell it's on and I don't clean the screen as much as I had to before I had it on.
Honestly, I was feeling remorse about the phone but the more I used it the more I loved it. I do think it's a new kind of phone and it takes getting use to from the typical cell phones we have been accustomed to. But it's great and I agree with the post that it has become addicting for me too. I also stay up surfing the web or You Tube. Get it and don't look back. Just enjoy it!:laugh2:

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Zero regrets here as a daily use device.

My previous Treo's did basically everything an iPhone can do, but much faster and conveniently. The Treo couldn't display web pages nearly as well, though.

Only regret I have was not getting one on launch day. I waited a little over a week.

As for the fingerprints. They aren't noticeable if you are using the phone during the day. Only if you look for them will you see them, or the screen is off. And yes to other posters' praise of the crystal screen protectors. I got a set after the first couple days, and now have no fear of just wiping the fingerprints off with whatever clothing is available.

Only thing I don't like, is waiting for more software to increase the functionality of the iPhone. Word, Excel, and maybe some more email options like adding folders. You know, all the knitpicky stuff.

Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, $600+ bucks seemed like a lot for phone. But oh my goodness! The iPhone amazes me almost everyday with what it does and how well it does it and how cool it looks while doing it.

A co-worker was telling me that he was in the city (SF) this past weekend with two friends that had iPhones and said "I think I am gonna have to get one because it was too damn useful." (referring to getting around, finding stuff, etc...)

It is the best everyday device I have ever owed (phones, computers, espresso makers, you name it).