how the iPhone all began

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
This line tells you the secrecy in Apple:

By January 2007, when Jobs announced the iPhone at Macworld, only 30 or so of the most senior people on the project had seen it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That was a wonderful article - long - but it made several good points.

It did a great job showing how the iPhone changed the cellphone market for cellphones themselves and the carriers.

I had no idea that all of this has been being planned since '02. I knew that it's been a while, but heck, in '02 the iPods were still clunky and ugly. Quite an interesting plan of secrecy:

Through it all, Jobs maintained the highest level of secrecy. Internally, the project was known as P2, short for Purple 2 (the abandoned iPod phone was called Purple 1). Teams were split up and scattered across Apple's Cupertino, California, campus. Whenever Apple executives traveled to Cingular, they registered as employees of Infineon, the company Apple was using to make the phone's transmitter. Even the iPhone's hardware and software teams were kept apart: Hardware engineers worked on circuitry that was loaded with fake software, while software engineers worked off circuit boards sitting in wooden boxes. By January 2007, when Jobs announced the iPhone at Macworld, only 30 or so of the most senior people on the project had seen it.
- John

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Very good article. I would definitely not want to be in the same room as Jobs once he starts on a tantrum.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
Good find -- many thanks for posting it here. I'd heard bits and pieces of this before, but the article puts in all in context.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks for the link to that article. Very revealing insight into a man having the power to turn the established and uninspiring cell phone industry on its head.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Excellent! Thanks! :)

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Thanks for posting that, I love the details of how it came about, maybe now that Aron Sorkin has done the Farnsworth Invention his next project could be The iPhone Drama.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I really didn't know Jobs had a temper. I thought of him as a nerdy quite guy. WOW I was wrong.