How the world works today..

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Let's see if I understand how the world works lately...

If a man cuts off his finger while slicing salami at work, he blames the restaurant.

If you smoke 3 packs a day for 40 years & die of lung cancer, your family blames the tobacco company.

If your neighbor crashes into a tree while driving home drunk, he blames the bartender.

If your grandchildren are brats without manners, you blame it on TV.

If your friend is shot by a deranged madman, you blame the gun manufacturer.

And if a crazed person breaks into the c*ckpit & tries to kill the pilot at 35,000 feet & the passengers kill him instead, the mother of the deceased blames the airline.

I must have lived too long to understand the world as it is now.
So if I die while my old, wrinkled butt is parked in front of this computer, I want you to blame Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for me... OK?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008

If a man cuts off his finger while slicing salami at work, he blames the restaurant.

If you smoke 3 packs a day for 40 years & die of lung cancer, your family blames the tobacco company.

If your neighbor crashes into a tree while driving home drunk, he blames the bartender.

And if a crazed person breaks into the c*ckpit & tries to kill the pilot at 35,000 feet & the passengers kill him instead, the mother of the deceased blames the airline.

So if I die while my old, wrinkled butt is parked in front of this computer, I want you to blame Bill Gates and Steve Jobs for me... OK?

Very very random. Yet still, to the point. :eek:k:eek:k

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Pretty silly huh? Some people can spill coffee on their crotch and get millions of dollars, and still not learn the lesson they needed in the first place. The judicial system is damaged beyond recognition, and things won't get better until it is fixed!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pretty silly huh? Some people can spill coffee on their crotch and get millions of dollars, and still not learn the lesson they needed in the first place. The judicial system is damaged beyond recognition, and things won't get better until it is fixed!
Hehe, are you referring to the McDonalds lady? Seriously though, if you don't sue for damages, you're not handling it the American way! ;)

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Hehe, are you referring to the McDonalds lady? Seriously though, if you don't sue for damages, you're not handling it the American way! ;)
Sometimes things like that make me ashamed to be American. Citizens shouldn't have to live in fear of being raped by the judicial system. People don't discipline their children because they fear being unfairly punished. This fact alone is going to ruin our world. Schools cannot properly correct unruly children out of fear of being improperly punished. It is insane. :(

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There is that comedian that has his little saying when pointing out the stupidity of other people, "there's your sign".
My opinion is that we need a squad of people out there that have the sole purpose to find and beat these people and their pursuit of frivolous lawsuits.
My father died from a form of dementia called Pik's disease. The home where we had him was very neglectful and we had the State come in and investigate the home (this was before he died). They validated our claims, and when my father was in his last days, the doctor told us he was dying because of too many blows to the head.
I wanted to sue the everylovincrap out of the home. I didn't care about the money, I wanted to instigate a change in care. (sure, a couple million would fit nicely into my pocket, but it doesn't help my dead father, and it doesn't help the other patients there that still have to endure the neglectful care they receive every day. if anything, my family getting a payday take away from the money used to care for these people.)
Too many people out there are looking for easy money. And while there used to be no such thing, now there is. Find something that discriminates against you, or could possibly harm you in anyway, and your own stupidity is overlooked and you can sue. While suing for positive change is fine, monatary justice is not.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Let me tell you that the Media can possibly be a very important reason why people are looking for easy money without effort nowadays. They keep portraying all that bullsh*t in every medium. To be honest, I think that's what needs to be done nowadays. Morals and values are no where to be found except in minority groups who become less and less attracted to morals every day because of this terrible world we're living in today.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Nothing takes the cake like this:

Its 2am on a snowy night in NewYork City. A Man breaks into your house, thus awaking you. You grab something for defense and come rushing down the stairs. The burglar hears you and tries to run out of the house and when he does, he slips on the icy steps outside your home and injures himself. He can now Sue you and WIN because you didn't salt the steps.Amazing and true story. I read about it years ago when some idiot broke into an old ladys house and while leaving slips on the icy steps where he sue's her and won.

Another true story. Man sue's Nabisco Cookies because he claimed OREO's made him gain excessive weight. (just plain stupid, almost like the woman who sued McD's)

Another similar story: Woman Sues Airline because the hot tea (thats right HOT tea SHE ordered) burned her lip... but she claimed she ordered iced tea. So Airline gets the blame and loses the suit because a lady cant hold the special insulated cup and sense its warm.

That woman/amongst other idiots are the reason why airlines will only give you tepid at best beverages that are meant/used to be hot. Another thing, the airline is now responsible for replying "Hot tea or iced tea" when you request "tea" as well as adding to if you order hot tea "the tea is hot".

Woman sue's airline company claiming she was being discriminated against after the staff onboard requested she switch seats with another passenger who was of smaller size in the emergency exit row. (im sorry if the plane goes down i don't want my closest escape blocked by some obese person).

Man tries to sue aquarium shop after he slips and falls on the floor. Claim was denied because the store had a disclaimer that floors can be slippery when livestock is being moved from display tanks to purchase bags. (idiot, i swear thats like going to an amusement park and suing because the ride gave u motion sickness).

Last one, HongKong earlier this year, expat tries to sue building designer because the elevator he was rushing to catch slightly closed on his arm then re-opened. (as they all do) Claim was denied because the building had more than just one elevator. (lol owned)

When im on +24hour flight and all i can get is tepid tea is VERY frustrating...so happy i only fly BA where they will give you HOT tea.

C

CzarObama

Welcome to the team, my man. Took ya long enough..;)

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
One web site has a different read on the McDonalds hot coffee incident that coincides with the way I remember hearing about it in the news.

The plaintiff and the spill incident. The plaintiff, a 79-year-old grandmother named Stella Liebeck, was not driving, nor was the vehicle moving when the injury occurred. While the car was stopped, Mrs. Liebeck, who was sitting in the passenger seat, tried to hold the coffee cup between her knees as she removed the lid. The cup tipped over, spilling the contents into her lap.

The injury.
Mrs. Liebeck’s injury was anything but trivial. The scalding-hot coffee caused third-degree burns over 16% of her body, including her genital area. She had to be hospitalized for eight days. She required extensive skin grafts and was permanently scarred. She was disabled for a period of two years. During the ensuing trial, Mrs. Liebeck’s physician testified that her injury was one of the worst cases of scalding he’d ever seen.

The coffee.
At the time, McDonalds’ corporate specifications explicitly called for coffee to be served at a temperature between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit. An expert witness testified that liquids at this temperature will cause third degree burns of human skin in two to seven seconds. (Coffee served at home is typically 135 to 140 degrees.)
[unquote]

YMMV

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
One web site has a different read on the McDonalds hot coffee incident that coincides with the way I remember hearing about it in the news.

The plaintiff and the spill incident. The plaintiff, a 79-year-old grandmother named Stella Liebeck, was not driving, nor was the vehicle moving when the injury occurred. While the car was stopped, Mrs. Liebeck, who was sitting in the passenger seat, tried to hold the coffee cup between her knees as she removed the lid. The cup tipped over, spilling the contents into her lap.

The injury.
Mrs. Liebeck’s injury was anything but trivial. The scalding-hot coffee caused third-degree burns over 16% of her body, including her genital area. She had to be hospitalized for eight days. She required extensive skin grafts and was permanently scarred. She was disabled for a period of two years. During the ensuing trial, Mrs. Liebeck’s physician testified that her injury was one of the worst cases of scalding he’d ever seen.

The coffee.
At the time, McDonalds’ corporate specifications explicitly called for coffee to be served at a temperature between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit. An expert witness testified that liquids at this temperature will cause third degree burns of human skin in two to seven seconds. (Coffee served at home is typically 135 to 140 degrees.)
[unquote]

YMMV
Yeah I remember the story. I still think it is the responsibility of the person who is handed a cup to be safe. I am sure the coffee might have been too hot, but it is still my opinion, that her careless actions caused this injury. The lady was extremely lucky I was not the judge because she would have not hit the lottery with me. People do stupid things all the time and I do not want them rewarded because they see somebody close by to file suit against. McDonald's had no control over her stupid, careless actions. Why should they be required to pay her for accident. They did not cause it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Having something between your legs, which could potentially cause harm/discomfort is your own responsibility. Personally, I think the woman is a money grabber... and a complete idiot. Sorry to sound horrible, but who the hell puts red hot coffee near your tools. Not clever. Serves her right.

I hate hearing stories where the innocent party, is blatantly innocent- yet they get taken to court and robbed.