How Thin Could the iPhone 6 Be?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Interesting take on the thinness rumor. Could the new iPhone 6 be as thin as the iPod Touch?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I posted first, but Chris could destroy me with a click. :D

#2 Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's funny how we've gone from schematics to cases to videos inserting an iPod touch into said iPhone 6 case. We truly have made our way into the silly season. That in mind, I love the form factor on the iPod touch. There's only so many ways you can design a phone. I'm sure Apple has always wanted to use a super-thin design like the iPod touch and perhaps going big gave them the chance. Bigger frame allows for spreading out of components -- and most importantly, the battery.

I think a curved body will also be easier to hold. Having spent the last week or so with the 5-inch Galaxy S4, I think 4.7-inches will be my next iPhone. Of course, provided Apple delivers this fall.

When I see a big phone, it's lust worthy and I suspect many feel the same way. In practice, it can be a nuisance. I've gone from 4 to 5 and even looked at the Note with a fresh set of eyes last week. I want the middle child. Motorola got it right. 4.7-inches is the ideal size.

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I'm sure Apple has always wanted to use a super-thin design like the iPod touch and perhaps going big gave them the chance. Bigger frame allows for spreading out of components -- and most importantly, the battery.

That makes sense to me.

I've switched away from the iPhone and don't see myself going back anytime soon - but I think bigger would be a great move for the iPhone.

Also have to mention that 4.7 inchers are for pansies. I am very happy with my absolutely gorgeous 5.2 display on the LG G2. :)

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Then you're the pansy. I have a woman friend who has the 6" LG Flex.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm jealous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't be. She's 2'4" with three heads and a really bad attitude.

8. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I hope it is true. I would love to see a form factor like the iPod Touch.

9. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I would love to see the new iPhone thinner than a wafer thin mint, bon appetit!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here are photos of molds made using those alleged schematics.

Maquette-Proto-iPhone-6-1.jpg Maquette-Proto-iPhone-6-02.jpg Maquette-Proto-iPhone-6-03.jpg

#10 chris, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  11. Xenocube

Xenocube New Member

Thin is good. I really hope they retain a 4 inch screen option. I have been on the journey to bigger bolder screens in the last year....htc one, oppo find 5, Xperia z1...and now I come full circle realising I just want something that looks great, works well and I can use easily with one hand for my smartphone. Save the bigger screen for the tablet

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why is thin good? What purpose does thin serve? I'd like the new 6 to retain the same thickness of the 5s. If it gets much thinner than the 5s, there won't be much to hold on to. That makes a big difference if you do photo work or something that requires grasping the phone and holding it steady. Thin may look cool, but it's not practical. In any event, I'll have a nice bulky Otterbox case on mine. :)

13. Xenocube

Xenocube New Member

Fair point. So will I but it will prob be a lifeproof or maybe an otterbox preserver

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When Steve Jobs introduced the MacBook Air, he wowed everyone by pulling it out of one of those interoffice envelopes. It was quite beautiful, I must admit.

(Fast forward to 2:35 if you don't wanna watch the whole thing...)

I have a real bad feeling Tim Cook won't be satisfied until he can introduce a new iPhone by taking his wallet out of his pocket and pulling an iPhone out of it.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The technology of a very thin iPhone is tremendous. That kind of technology can have practical applications everywhere. But to make the iPhone wafer thin is not practical. I hope you're wrong. It gets to be a, "Hey, look what we can do!" sort of thing.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

3D printed mockup of a 4.7" iPhone 6 based on leaked rumors