How Third-Party Keyboards Will Work In iOS 8

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Why do people need to install third party keyboards? I think the keyboard is fine and I'm sure some agree that the keyboard that comes with iOS handles most jobs with ease not to mention the built in navigation for jumping around in the browser.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why do people need to install third party keyboards? I think the keyboard is fine and I'm sure some agree that the keyboard that comes with iOS handles most jobs with ease not to mention the built in navigation for jumping around in the browser.
Not everyone would agree with you! :D

My HTC One had a nice stock swype-type keyboard that I really liked. A lot of other people like different keyboards.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Because people like change once in a while and some people type faster with Swype. You aren't even a little bit interested in trying Swype?

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I agree that Swype is a nice keyboard. Personally I could never get used to a different keyboard and so I would always go back to the stock one.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Because people like change once in a while and some people type faster with Swype. You aren't even a little bit interested in trying Swype?
When I tried Swype for the first time, it took awhile getting used to. I also thought going through the tutorial that there is a learning curve and it would actually slow me down rather than using two thumbs to text quickly.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I'm not opposed to people wanting to try something different. Maybe I will give Swype another try. Who knows, my experience with it the first time might not be the same this time.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I can't wait for 3rd party keyboards. I want to be able to type 120 wpm using the Hipjot app keyboard. Not even Android has this. It allows you to use 2 fingers to swipe. Current swipe style keyboards only allow 1 finger to swipe.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I can't wait for 3rd party keyboards. I want to be able to type 120 wpm using the Hipjot app keyboard. Not even Android has this. It allows you to use 2 fingers to swipe. Current swipe style keyboards only allow 1 finger to swipe.

That would not work for me. My brain would not keep up with my fingers, leaving said fingers not knowing what to do next. I'll stick with SwiftKey. :)

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
The option to use another keyboard is great. But they need to make the process of installing and using one simple. Simple and stable is what makes iOS great...

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
That would not work for me. My brain would not keep up with my fingers, leaving said fingers not knowing what to do next. I'll stick with SwiftKey. :)
I can pretty much achieve those speeds now with dictation if I'm alone. It would be nice to have the ability to compose an email, text, etc with those speeds on a keyboard.