How-to Access Wikipedia Offline

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Very interesting, I've just got to decide if its worth losing a movie or a few tv shows for it.

Have they sorted out how they are going to do updates to the data files? I'd hate to have to reupload that file every week.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
I'd be more than willing to dedicate the space to be able to access Wikipedia offline! I would be interested in knowing how they plan on handling updates.
Thanks, Alexander!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah that's definitely something to consider. The file takes 2 hours to download, and another 2 to transfer - so I'd hate to have to go through the hassle more than once. I for one am happy with a dated dump of it, for I mainly search history (and that doesn't change too often). In addition, I have had a good 4 free gigs since iDay haha.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Just one more reason to jailbreak....this adds great incentive to me. I access Wikipedia all the time.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Did I miss WHERE to get those two files he mentions at the beginning?

Never mind.
I found it.

I'm going to try it, I'll let you know how it goes.
Since I am a professional musician, I have NO music on my iPhone, and only put videos or movies on when I travel, so I have the space.

Info later.

Dana

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I seem to be having trouble downloading the large file.

Everytime I try to download it it never makes it to 2.1 GB.
It always ends up being a couple of hundred MB and dosen't take anywhere near two hours.

Has anyone else tried this?
Should that TAR file be a full 2.1GB after download?

thanks
Dana

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I seem to be having trouble downloading the large file.

Everytime I try to download it it never makes it to 2.1 GB.
It always ends up being a couple of hundred MB and dosen't take anywhere near two hours.

Has anyone else tried this?
Should that TAR file be a full 2.1GB after download?

thanks
Dana
Odd. I'm also having problems. I've downloaded the file 4 times, and everytime it is -2.1 gb. I know that makes no sense. When I extract it, it extracts to a 0 kb dump. This happened even with the torrent file.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
This is NOT working.
After 10 or so tries, I have never gotten past 800MB (let alone 2 hours).

Alexander, please clarify your original post's details, because nothing posted here seems to work.

Thank you

Dana

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
This is NOT working.

Is this whole bit a dumb ass internet gag?
After 10 or so tries, I have never gotten past 800MB (let alone 2 hours).

Is this a bullshit post or what?

With all due respect, Alexander (EVANGELIST), please clarify your original post's details, because nothing posted here seems to work.

Thank you

Dana
Woah there, settle down. THIS IS NOT MY APPLICATION. In addition, that is not my video. All I'm doing is passing it on to you. I'm having problems as well if you refer to my post (and different problems than you at that).

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Sorry Alexander

I was a little irritable last night.
I cleaned out hundreds of MB out of my phone and was sitting with more than 10 unfinished files on my desktop.

No insult intended.

I have 30GB free on my 80GB hard drive and 4.5 GB on my phone.

Again, Alexander, my apologies.

Dana

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Yeah that's definitely something to consider. The file takes 2 hours to download, and another 2 to transfer - so I'd hate to have to go through the hassle more than once. I for one am happy with a dated dump of it, for I mainly search history (and that doesn't change too often). In addition, I have had a good 4 free gigs since iDay haha.
wow that's a long time I would rather stay here at jury duty. Or even watch grass grow

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Which browser are you using to download the dump file? I find that if I use Internet Explorer, it doesn't work. Try using FireFox instead.

I'm currently downloading the file now (I'm using the download link straight off of the project page), with an ETA over 3 hours. Will let you know if I run into any problems after it finishes.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Internet Explorer.
I'll try firefox..
Thanks again, enigmanic

Dana
No problem! Just to give you an update: I was able to download the dump with no problems and installed the Wikipedia app on my phone. Everything works great! Don't forget to set your file permissions.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I give up.

I am now using firefox to download the dump file.
I opened it, began to download and did not even touch my computer once.
Three times tonight
I don't know why I am having such a hard time, I am on broadband.

After a total of twenty attempts (none of which lasted more than 30 minutes) I actaully got around 500 MB (On Firefox) before my file was completed.

I don't give up easily EVER, but this has just done me in.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I quit.

Dana

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I give up.

I am now using firefox to download the dump file.
I opened it, began to download and did not even touch my computer once.
Three times tonight
I don't know why I am having such a hard time, I am on broadband.

After a total of twenty attempts (none of which lasted more than 30 minutes) I actaully got around 500 MB (On Firefox) before my file was completed.

I don't give up easily EVER, but this has just done me in.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I quit.

Dana

Have you tried this place? http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

You can get access to their dumps here:

http://download.wikimedia.org/simplewiki/20080213/

Their dump is pretty tiny compared to the official wikipedia, but I did some searches on basic stuff and managed to find what I was looking for. I think I'm going to give this one a go instead of that 2gig dump, as this one is 26-160 megs depending on the version you pick (no edits/edits).