How to Activate 2G Unlocked iPhone

frjeff

Oct 29, 2008
Bought an unlocked/jailbroke iPhone on Ebay.
Now need to activeate with my T-Mobile SIM.

How to do?

Thanks for all help.

Jeff

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
It's not already activated? I can't remember the options in Pwnage exactly, but I think activation is automatic when it's unlocked. What happens when you put in your T-Mobile SIM?

frjeff

Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
When I put in the T-Mo SIM, I get a screen graphic depicting the iPhone connected to iTunes. Also, something about emergency calls.

I don't know what the previous owner used to unlock/jailbreak.

Jeff

frjeff

Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
When I put in the T-Mo SIM, I get a screen graphic depicting the iPhone connected to iTunes. Also, something about emergency calls.

I don't know what the previous owner used to unlock/jailbreak.

Jeff
OK, got home and tried again with the AT&T SIM card (of the old owner's, I guess). It synced all of my iTunes stuff, gave me the ser. number, etc. of the phone and the telephone number.

So, I replaced the AT&T SIM with my T-Mo SIM and tried to activate. Get message which says something to the effect: "the SIM card in this phone does not appear to be a AT&T SIM card. Please stop by your local store."

What do I do to get this thing activated with my T-MO card in the phone?

Thanks again. I am a real newb here and now am not sure I should have purchased this unlocked 2g phone.

Jeff

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
OK, got home and tried again with the AT&T SIM card (of the old owner's, I guess). It synced all of my iTunes stuff, gave me the ser. number, etc. of the phone and the telephone number.

So, I replaced the AT&T SIM with my T-Mo SIM and tried to activate. Get message which says something to the effect: "the SIM card in this phone does not appear to be a AT&T SIM card. Please stop by your local store."

What do I do to get this thing activated with my T-MO card in the phone?

Thanks again. I am a real newb here and now am not sure I should have purchased this unlocked 2g phone.

Jeff
The original owner shouldn't have included his SIM card - you could use it if he hasn't cancelled his account already. If it's inactive, though, it's of no use to you and you can throw it out.

To be clear, when you got the iPhone, did you try your T-Mobile SIM in it right away? Or did you connect it to iTunes first? If you connected it to iTunes, did you get a prompt asking if you wanted to update the firmware on the iPhone? If so, did you go through with the update? If you did, you re-locked the iPhone. If not, it doesn't sound like the previous owner really did unlock it before selling it - if he charged you more because he said it was unlocked, you may want to have a chat with him about that.

Anyway, the iPhone is clearly not unlocked now, or your T-Mobile SIM would work. Are you using a Mac or a PC? If you're using a PC, here is a great guide that will walk you through unlocking your iPhone step-by-step. If you're on a Mac, here's the corresponding guide for that platform. The software you'd need to use for either platform is free. Have a go and see how it works, and let us know if you have any problems.

frjeff

Oct 29, 2008
The original owner shouldn't have included his SIM card - you could use it if he hasn't cancelled his account already. If it's inactive, though, it's of no use to you and you can throw it out.

To be clear, when you got the iPhone, did you try your T-Mobile SIM in it right away? YES

Or did you connect it to iTunes first? If you connected it to iTunes, did you get a prompt asking if you wanted to update the firmware on the iPhone? Never had that prompt when I later connected to iTunes.

If so, did you go through with the update? No, never knowingly went through any update; it never asked.

If you did, you re-locked the iPhone. If not, it doesn't sound like the previous owner really did unlock it before selling it - if he charged you more because he said it was unlocked, you may want to have a chat with him about that.

Anyway, the iPhone is clearly not unlocked now, or your T-Mobile SIM would work. Are you using a Mac or a PC? Mac

If you're using a PC, here is a great guide that will walk you through unlocking your iPhone step-by-step. If you're on a Mac, here's the corresponding guide for that platform. The software you'd need to use for either platform is free. Have a go and see how it works, and let us know if you have any problems.I may try that and I thank you profusely for the help. I might also simply return the phone to the seller (7 day return policy in his listing), get a refund and find another unlocked unit.
My gratitude!

Jeff

frjeff

Oct 29, 2008
One last (I hope) dumb question:

I do the above unlock process with or without my TMO SIM inserted?

I would presume it should be inserted, but what do I know?

Thanks

Jeff

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
One last (I hope) dumb question:

I do the above unlock process with or without my TMO SIM inserted?

I would presume it should be inserted, but what do I know?

Thanks

Jeff
I've unlocked with SIMs NOT installed before, but I think you can do it with them installed as well. I'd suggest you do it without first, just to be safe...