How to add notes to iPhone from computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seb481, Dec 13, 2007.

1. seb481

seb481 New Member

There has to be a way to add/edit notes to your iPhone from the computer. I guess I can get into the phone via ssh, but what folders are notes in? How to edit them?
    Reason I am asking is that I have pretty large text documents that I need to view/edit on the go every once in a while.
    I do not want to email those documents to myself as I won't be able to edit them. I also do not want to use any online service (I don't want to have to rely on edge or wifi) and I do not want to use the contact's note workaround. I know I am picky but there has to be a way. Maybe an app?
    Do you guys know how to do this?
  2. Chris716

Chris716 New Member

Im not sure either but I sure would like to know my self
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

I've posted this elsewhere and it's not my idea, but here goes:

Every contact has a notes section. Create contacts called #NOTE1, #NOTE2, etc.... or something more descriptive if you like...I use # to find it easily.

Use these special contacts to create notes that will sync with the phone. It only takes a couple more finger presses to get to them vs. regular notes.
  5. doron

doron Zealot

I had the same question...there's a guy on here that said you have to have Lepoard (thats if you gotta Mac) in order to do it...what I did was create a gmail accnt specifically for my notes...and then just simply email them as I along...at least until they figure this out I don't get how they didn't make a notes sync feature...
  6. seb481

seb481 New Member

I know about the contact workaround but I'd rather not do that.
    Emailing my notes to myself is kind of a pain too as I won't be able to edit them.
  7. termleech

termleech Zealot

Leopard does not have Note syncing support. It was suppose to but they pulled it at the last minute. I've got Leopard and it definitely doesn't.

Here's my suggestion if you have a jailbroken phone. Save the file as a text file, then copy it over to your phone and use MobileTextEdit to modify the text file on your iPhone. MTE allows you to modify existing text files it just can't create any new ones, so it sounds exactly like what you want to do. I use it along with the rest of the MobileStudio all the time (especially with the new download plugin).
  8. doron

doron Zealot

9. seb481

seb481 New Member

Sweet, that's exactly what I need. Do you have to create a new folder in the var/root directory to store your text files? I guess I should create a folder such as MyTextFiles where I will store everything.
  10. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

Leopard does have Notes syncing; just not through the Notes app.

It's done through Mail. You can create Notes and To-Do's in Mail on the Mac and it will sync to the iPhone's mail.

- John
  11. doron

doron Zealot

oh ok...explain...do you have to have a .mac accnt? ...can you set up gmail through mail on the Mac?
  12. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

I don't sync Notes or To-Do's so I don't really know.

I would just try creating a Note in mail and syncing to your iPhone. Supposedly, it should appear in your Mail app.

- John
  13. duagautam

duagautam New Member

Notes from your comp to iphone

thanks to guys who have provided these basic steps primarily for editing the sms.db, I have been able to do the same thing with notes application
    here you go

Three broad steps to copy / create notes on your comp
    1. Get the notes.db
    2. edit it
    3. upload it back into the phone

software needed :
    - iBrickr
    - SQLite Administrator (free GUI software - http://sqliteadmin.orbmu2k.de/)

STEP 1 substeps
    1) dock your iPhone with the computer
    2) open iBrickr
    3) click on 'Files'
    4) in the phone on the right click on 'var', then 'root', then 'Library', then 'notes'
    5) click on 'notes.db'
    6) click on 'Download'
    A copy of this Notes database file will now be in your iBricker directory.
    Note: Incase you need to revert back to this file later make a second copy somewhere else and rename it (ie. notes_backup_todaysdate.db).

STEP 2 - substeps
    1) download and unzip SQLite Administrator
    2) you do not need to install, just enter the directory and run 'sqliteadmin.exe'
    3) click 'Database' then 'Open' (or Cltr+O)
    4) navigate to your 'notes.db' file and click 'Open'
    5) on the right panel click on 'Edit Data'
    6) click on 'Table' and select 'Note'
    - A complete list of your notes will now be displayed
    7) scroll down the list and find the Note you want to Edit
    To EDIT a message
    Double click on the actual Note under the 'Summary' heading.
    A text box will then appear with the message. Just edit and click the tick or click the cross to cancel.
    8) once finished making changes click 'Database' then 'Close' (or Clrl+W)

STEP 3 - substeps
    1) dock your iPhone with the computer
    2) open iBrickr
    3) click on 'Files'
    4) in the phone on the right click on 'var', then 'root', then 'Library', then 'Notes'
    5) click on 'notes.db'
    6) click on 'Delete' then on 'OK' - to delete the current 'notes.db' file.
    7) click on 'Upload file(s)'
    8) navigate to your new 'notes.db' file
    - the file must be named 'notes.db' and all lowercase
    FINISHED - Open Notes and you should see the changes!

14. mark25

mark25 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this, just joined coming to you from New Zealand. I found the saving yr notes as a contact ie Note 1 is a great idea and works well. Does anyone know if you can "hide" records in contacts. I've just come accross from a Treo650 and found the privacy feature in the Treo excellent for saving sensitive info in Memos. Activating the Passcode Lock would be a bit of a pain.
  15. Özge ÖKSÜZTEPE

Özge ÖKSÜZTEPE New Member

you can try free app PasteOut from app store

you can send your notes from pc to Iphone, from Iphone to pc just with one tick.
  16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius

4+ year old thread revival... This was before iCloud and being able to sync notes.
  17. Özge ÖKSÜZTEPE

Özge ÖKSÜZTEPE New Member

Yes, you are right. But this app is faster, and platform independent(microsoft, linux, etc) . You write your sentences, than you push the button. You wan see this sentence on the desktop screen where the cursor is.
  18. amstaDama

amstaDama New Member

Hi, I read all that has been said above. I use iPhonen 4S and have +- 100 notes locally on the iphone. I want to be able to see and edit if possible export my iphone notes to my computer. I just recently turned icloud notes transfer on. My idea was to log in to icloud after that from my computer and this way to display my iphone notes directly on the pc.

However, none of the notes got transferred to my icloud, even though I DID enable notes transfer on my iPhone with my iCloud account, I created a @me email account and all. The app suggested above will not solve as I have to copy paste hundred times and it is not related to the native notes app on my iphone. I'd rather use native Apple methods if at all possible. Insights I welcome and await...
  19. notes which were originally on your iphone will not be pushed to the Cloud - only new ones will get transferred. If you are running on iOS 6 you can try CardDAV and export your notes to your Gmail account. Here are some additional insights into how to transfer iphone notes to computer.
  20. kidskids

kidskids New Member

I've posted this elsewhere and it's not my idea, but here goes:

Every contact has a notes section. Create contacts called #NOTE1, #NOTE2, etc.... or something more descriptive if you like...I use # to find it easily.

Use these special contacts to create notes that will sync with the phone. It only takes a couple more finger presses to get to them vs. regular notes.
  21. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor

Get "Evernote". I use it on iphone, iMac, windows PC and android tablet. I save notes, documents and web pages, including pictures. Once synced is available for off line reading/editing on all devices. It's brilliant because it's multi platform and it just works!