How to add videos to both itunes and iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zackram, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zackram

Zackram New Member

Hello There

Well my question is how to add any videos to itunes in order to sync them to my iphone because I have been trying but when I click in the add a file button, and I choose the video I want, and switch to the video tab, there is nothing but a black screen and of course I cannot sync anything to my iphone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Zack:cool:
  2. adseguy

adseguy New Member

first you need to convert it to a format the iPhone can play. 3GP or Videora are free programs you can use to do this. Once you do this just drag and drop them to itunes's movies category. All you need to do next is check them off for synching in the iPhone submenus. I hope that helps.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Zackram

Zackram New Member

Can iphone play .mp4 files?

Does anyone know if the iphone can play videos in .mp4 format
  5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

yes it can.
  6. connie

connie Zealot

Yes, I have videos that are mp4 format.
  7. Zackram

Zackram New Member

I can't add any videos to itunes

I already tried to drag and drop some videos to the movies tab in itunes but nothing seems to happen, the videos that I have tried to add are in .mp4 extention.

Can anybody help with this?

How can I add any videos to itunes in order to sync them to my iphone???

Thanks
  8. hamsandwich

hamsandwich New Member

Movie TAB and movie WINDOW are two different things. Can you be more specific? The movie TAB in the iPhone section (when the phone is actually connected) can not be altered in any direct way (other than checking or un-checking the boxes). The movie WINDOW, also called a PLAYLIST, is where things are dragged and dropped. It is from this window (playlist) that movie files can then be converted for sync to an iPod or iPhone which will then show up in the iPhone’s movie “TAB”.

What system are you on (Mac OS and version? or PC?)

I want to preface my response with the fact that I’m on a Mac and I use Quicktime Pro for most of my video compression and export functions. So this is not necessarily a universal answer...

If you drag and drop a video file into the iTunes Movie window, it should show up in there. Does the movie play ok in Quicktime player or whatever stand alone player you use? Maybe the file is corrupt...
    What is the origin of the file?

I found that if I convert (export) a movie file to .mp4 format, I must use the default .mp4 compression setting for it to be able to sync to the iPhone. I did a couple of tests and if I used anything other than default, I’d get this message when I tried to sync.

Video compression can get a little dicey...

Anyway... the simple way to get a movie into your iPhone is; After the movie is added to the movies WINDOW (playlist) in iTunes, just right-click on it and select “Convert selection for iPod”. After the conversion is complete, connect your iPhone and go to the video tab. The movie should now be listed there. Check off the box and sync.

If the movie is ripped from a commercial DVD or is from a DV home video, then your compression/conversion settings need to be looked at more carefully...

If the movie file was purchased and downloaded from the iTunes store then it should just show up in the iPhone video tab, sync and play with no trouble at all.

Reading the iTunes help section under the “Help” menu also helps explain things in a bit more detail.

Good luck.

d-
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  9. Zackram

Zackram New Member

Finally I could add movies! But that generates another question...

Well thanks a lot for the help, it really helped me adding videos to my itunes but what I did was convert the videos with some other software (specifically the Image Converter from sony) into .mp4 and then drag and drop them into itunes playlist but you mentioned something about adding comercial DVD's, how exactly do you extract the video from a DVD and convert it to a format the iphone will play?? Because all I've been able to sync to my iphone are music videos and some tv series that I have downloaded from the internet.

Ohh and by the way I'm using a pc

Thanks for the help
  10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

11. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

I'm going to lock this thread so spammers stop posting here. I think the question was answered.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.