How To Back-UP Contacts, Settings, etc?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SoleAddict23

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
how do you make a back-up copy of your contacts?

last time i had to restore my iPhone and had to go through with all the trouble of entering each of my contacts into my phone. :oops:

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i don't know about contact from iPhone to computer, but you can add all your contacts to your computer and sync it to your iPhone

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
how do you make a back-up copy of your contacts?

last time i had to restore my iPhone and had to go through with all the trouble of entering each of my contacts into my phone. :oops:
I just sync with the computer using itune. When you reset your iPhone, you can resync with all the contact and setting back.

cypher7810

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Are you sure, because last time I bricked my phone , I restored it, and it had all my music of course, but NONE of my contacts.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Actually, a sync appears to save everything except a few key things:
  • YouTube bookmarks (may be changed with 1.1.1)
  • Wifi passwords
  • Voicemail password (if on AT&T)
Did I miss one?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Actually, a sync appears to save everything except a few key things:
  • YouTube bookmarks (may be changed with 1.1.1)
  • Wifi passwords
  • Voicemail password (if on AT&T)
Did I miss one?
Passwords are never cached after a restore, call it Apple's imposed security measure.

Anyway, if you want to backup your data just make sure you sync before you restore, you'll guarantee you have the most current data backed up that way.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i have it sync with iTunes and the contacts go into outlook... thats good just incase iTunes ever gets screwed up at least i have all my contacts saved in outlook

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You can back up all of your information by going to private/var/root/Library. All your contacts, text messages, bookmarks, notes, etc. are all in folders. Just copy it from the phone to your desktop.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
You can back up all of your information by going to private/var/root/Library. All your contacts, text messages, bookmarks, notes, etc. are all in folders. Just copy it from the phone to your desktop.
thanks wildonrio that quite useful for me :laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
thanks wildonrio that quite useful for me :laugh2:
Did you try it out? I just noticed it myself the other day but I've never actually tried to back something up and then put it back in there to see if the phone recognized it. I can only assume so though, until someone tries it.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Did you try it out? I just noticed it myself the other day but I've never actually tried to back something up and then put it back in there to see if the phone recognized it. I can only assume so though, until someone tries it.
yup i did try it. it works but im still looking the easy way to back up :)

danaconda

Sep 24, 2007
You never mentioned what OS you are using. I have Vista, so I'll give you the Vista simplified way.

In iTunes, when your iPhone is connected highlight it so you can view all the options related to the iPhone. There is a tab named Info. Go to that tab and check to enable the "Sync Contacts From" box. Now in Vista there is a contact list called "Windows Contacts." I never use windows contacts, but since vista has it, I decided to use that (I also don't have outlook). If you tell it to sync, and your windows contacts is empty from not being used, all of your contacts from the iPhone will copy over. Everything. Pictures, ringtones, phone number labels (ie: work, mobile, home). Just leave this box checked so that it syncs every time you sync your iPhone.

I'm assuming Windows XP has something very similar to that. But I can't guarantee. And no, it doesn't have an option for Mozilla Thunderbird.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
You never mentioned what OS you are using. I have Vista, so I'll give you the Vista simplified way.

In iTunes, when your iPhone is connected highlight it so you can view all the options related to the iPhone. There is a tab named Info. Go to that tab and check to enable the "Sync Contacts From" box. Now in Vista there is a contact list called "Windows Contacts." I never use windows contacts, but since vista has it, I decided to use that (I also don't have outlook). If you tell it to sync, and your windows contacts is empty from not being used, all of your contacts from the iPhone will copy over. Everything. Pictures, ringtones, phone number labels (ie: work, mobile, home). Just leave this box checked so that it syncs every time you sync your iPhone.

I'm assuming Windows XP has something very similar to that. But I can't guarantee. And no, it doesn't have an option for Mozilla Thunderbird.
i just found that if you like to backup your sms . you can go for
/private/var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db

thats the database of your sms

as for notes you can go for
/private/var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db

hope it helps;)

mido

Sep 21, 2007
i just found that if you like to backup your sms . you can go for
/private/var/root/Library/SMS/sms.db

thats the database of your sms

as for notes you can go for