how to back up using a new Apple id on an old phone

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Ron7624, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

Hello all.
    I need to back up my phone using iTunes with a changed Apple id.
    Because my wife and I had joined Apple id's a few years ago, some of our info is intermingled. She now has her own Apple id, and we should be separated, but we are not entirely independent of each others contacts and reminders, etc.
    She has an iPhone 4s and an ipad 2. I have a 4s and an ipad mini that will be arriving in 2 days.
    Since I have this new device coming that I want to connect with, I am further cutting the chord by creating a new Apple id for me. Since my original Apple id is active up in iTunes, the app store and the Apple store app on my iPhone, I am keeping it in iTunes so as not to loose my purchases, I also purchased the ipad mini and one other item (lightning to micro usb adapter that has not been delivered yet with that id in the Apple store app on my iPhone.
    So, I'm set up with a new Apple id for the phone, facetime, imessage and I have deleted my old Apple id from the phone and am using the cloud to save my contacts etc. However in the app store on my phone I am still logged in with my old Apple id. I read where this should be done anyway.
    PROBLEM: I just tried to back up my phone to the computer. On the computer, iTunes is logged in with my old Apple id, and when I plugged the phone into the computer, I received a message that it cannot find my phone which is set up with the new Apple id. So I logged iTunes in on my computer with my new id.... and became afraid that I would loose it all.
    Am I on the right track or can someone give me a bit of direction.

2. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

If your logged in on your new ID. The phone and iTunes will sync on the new ID. Should not pick up any info from the old ID.

3. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

Yup. I changed the id in iTunes and was able to do a back up with my new configuration. It worked like a champ. I then 'transferred my purchases' and all is well. Thanks. Now for the iPad to arrive on Tuesday !