How To Block My Cell Number From Coming Up?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Surgeon2B

Jul 9, 2007
For some odd miracle, when I had the Samsung BlackJack, all my phone calls were "private" on all of my calls to other people. How can I do that with my iPhone. I would like to remain "private" when I call others.

Aside from dailing *67 everytime, is there a way that I can modify all my call as "private"?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
For some odd miracle, when I had the Samsung BlackJack, all my phone calls were "private" on all of my calls to other people. How can I do that with my iPhone. I would like to remain "private" when I call others.

Aside from dailing *67 everytime, is there a way that I can modify all my call as "private"?
i would call AT&T customer care. They can probably do this for you. There's no setting on the iPhone for this.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Settings -> Phone -> Show My Caller ID = "OFF"
Yes, this works.

You can also call AT&T and ask for "permanent caller-id blocking". With this on you need to dial *82 per call to turn it off.

FYI: I had permanent caller-id blocking with Sprint. When I ported my number over the block did not go with it.

I suspect that the setting on the iPhone just secretly dials *67 before each call.

FYI: Caller-ID is Not the same thing as ANI or e911. ANI is used when you call 1-800 or 1-900 (toll-free or billed services). e911 is when you call the cops. You can not turn off ANI or e911.

- SR

Surgeon2B

Jul 9, 2007
FYI: Caller-ID is Not the same thing as ANI or e911. ANI is used when you call 1-800 or 1-900 (toll-free or billed services). e911 is when you call the cops. You can not turn off ANI or e911.

- SR
What? So you're telling me that I need to activate "ANI" feature to block my number from showing up with 1-800, 1-866, 1-888 numbers? Can ATT tech support activate "ANI" too?

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
What? So you're telling me that I need to activate "ANI" feature to block my number from showing up with 1-800, 1-866, 1-888 numbers? Can ATT tech support activate "ANI" too?
ANI or Automatic Number Identification is not the same as caller-id and is used internally by the phone company for billing purposes. It can not be turned off, at all. It is used when you dial a toll-free (1-800, 1-888, 1-877 etc) or toll services (1-900) number.

Toll-free numbers aren't actually free. While you do not get billed for the call the receiveing party does. So when you call 1-800-SOS-APPL Apple is footing the bill. As a result Apple gets to see what phone numbers it is paying for.

ANI information is sent along with each call and can be automatically displayed on the receivers screen jsut like caller-id. But it is a different service used for different things and can not be turned off.

- SR

fredthedog

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
also, you could just put *67 at the start of your phone numbers......that will also block caller ID Free of charge from any phone.