How to Calibrate the Home Button

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've heard this calibration method works well for people who are experiencing problems with their home button. It's worth a shot before taking it in for replacement.
1. Open any application
2. Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.
3. Release Power button
4. Press and hold Home button lightly until screen returns to icon screen
5. Enjoy your functioning home button!
EDIT: Make sure you open a stock app in step number 1. It doesn't work if you open iFile or certain other jailbreak apps.

EDIT: This is confirmed BS. Sorry for wasting your time and giving false hope. If a restore to factory settings doesn't fix it, take your iPhone to Apple or replace the home button with this method:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iphone-4-Home-Button/3144/1

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've actually heard about this. It worked, I think. Although it could have been my mind wanting it to work.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I try right now .... we were at the Store but it started to work a day before and quitt again 2 days after
He uses gestures now ( and lucky us we have it)
It's doing some crazy stuff no icon
let me try again

John Tierney

Heretic
Bronze
May 1, 2011
Massachusetts
I've heard this calibration method works well for people who are experiencing problems with their home button. It's worth a shot before taking it in for replacement.
Thanks for the tip. My home button has been requiring a double tap a lot until now. :) is working great now. Just in time too sell for purchase an iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just tested it on my 3GS and it seemed to help. My iPhone 4's home button works great so I haven't calibrated it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Cool. Would have liked to try this on my original iPhone 4 before I got it replaced.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I go to an app. Hold down the power. Hold the home lightly and voice control comes on and won't go away. Am I doing something wrong?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I go to an app. Hold down the power. Hold the home lightly and voice control comes on and won't go away. Am I doing something wrong?
Are you waiting for the slide to power off to appear before letting go of the power button?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hmm. I just tested it on my iPhone 4 (even though I'm not experiencing home button problems) and it worked fine.

You're not closing the app before pressing the power button, right? If you're following the directions properly and it's not working, I'd reboot and try again.

John Tierney

Heretic
Bronze
May 1, 2011
Massachusetts
Season six starts this next Sunday! Woohoo!

Can't decide to either get Showtime for the next season or wait for DVD as I normally do with most series I watch. Decision decisions. Fantastic show IMO. Also loving Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. Sorry for the thread jack. ;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks again "Deb" oh I mean Europa. ;) just finished season 5. Kind of a sad ending.
You're very welcome. :)

Can't decide to either get Showtime for the next season or wait for DVD as I normally do with most series I watch. Decision decisions. Fantastic show IMO. Also loving Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. Sorry for the thread jack. ;)
Dexter and The Walking Dead are my two favorite TV shows.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
thx for the tip................worked great on my iPhone 4