How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS on Mac

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this necessary if you already have the purplera1n file, or is it just an alternative way of ensuring future jailbreakability?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Many people are asking that question. But no one seems to be giving a definite answer. I just did it anyway.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Is this necessary if you already have the purplera1n file, or is it just an alternative way of ensuring future jailbreakability?
From the dev-team blog

Dev-Team.org said:
Remember we warned you to stay away from any updates to 3.1 if you want to be able to jailbreak or unlock your 3GS.
Well this is an additional message to all you 3GS owners that would like to jailbreak your device sometime soon, but this advice comes with a warning! A warning that if you accidentally upgrade to 3.1, you will not be able to use Ultransn0w, so please re-read and double check this warning at the bottom of this post before proceeding.
You may have read or heard about techniques to capture files during the iTunes restore process. These will be required to jailbreak your phone in the near future, most of the methods involve icky USB snoops. Well, there is an even better and more reliable method to get your hands on those lovely files.
During the restore process iTunes nicely keeps these oh-so-top-secret-files in a lovely accessible place for us to copy out and backup, that place? /tmp on Mac OS X or %TEMP% on Windows. Thanks Apple — handy!
The downside to this approach is that you actually need to go through the restore process to get these signed files, which has risks if you are anywhere near 3.1 or 3.1 beta :)
If you are ready to proceed and you know the risks we’ll get down to the nitty-gritty -
So during a usual recovery with iTunes, your signed iBEC is written to /tmp and during a DFU mode restore the signed iBSS is written there also. To be sure, restore in both modes one after another to be able to grab them both. You’ll need to keep an eye on the temp directory and copy it before it is deleted again by iTunes. I’m sure some nice folks will create a tutorial about this, we’ll link to the first person who makes a good one.
Should you choose to accept this mission, act fast, this needs to be done quickly! But again, always, always double check here to see if 3.1 has been released, if is has, then don’t do this.
WARNING! - DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! - NB! - REMEMBER!
IF YOU CARE ABOUT ULTRASN0W, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS METHOD! Do not attempt this if you have downloaded the 3.1 beta. You do NOT WANT TO accidentally restore your device to 3.1 beta — you’ll lose ultrasn0w if you do! BE WARNED :)
Update: iClarified has come up with a good picture-filled guide for doing this on a Mac and also one for Windows. Good luck!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I already read that, but I don't see anywhere where it says definitively that the purplera1n file won't work. Just this,
Well, there is an even better and more reliable method to get your hands on those lovely files
And I'm not sure what they mean by better and more reliable anyway, it's ambiguous. It could mean a safer way to get the files but it could also mean a higher likelihood that the JB will work.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If I hadn't already done the 3.1 update I would do it...just to be safe. In one blog entry, they say we are in great shape cause we got our "img3’s signed with your ECID" which is what I am assuming the purplera1n file does. In a later post they say these other files are necessary to jailbreak the 3GS.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I finally got around to capturing these two files. Now I have the ECID, iBEC and iBSS files all saved and backed up. It worked great with the grabber, I only had to do it once in DFU.

Hurry and get this done to ensure future jailbreaking of the 3GS. It likely won't work after 3.1 is released. I recommend watching this video first. Make sure you're in DFU mode (black iPhone screen) not recovery mode (connect to iTunes iPhone screen).

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
are you saying to go straight into DFU mode and do the upgrade from there? instead of upgrading then restoring?
The instructions on that link say to do regular restore and then a restore in DFU mode, but if you watch the video I linked above (post #12), it shows you how to capture both files with one restore in DFU mode.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
got a quick question:

in what order do i have to do all of this when planning a JB?

the way i have it so far is :

EIC
IBSS
IBEC
JB

?

at first i thought that it had to be done after the jailbreak but that doesn't make any sense.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Im not sure how I missed this thread... I had no problem getting the files to my pc, however I did not realize I would loose my jailbreak :dft008:surprised I guess its worth it for the future of jailbreaking.
Tg