How to change Home Screen Text!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

skafia

Jul 4, 2007
I just read over at hackintosh (http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1799) and they show you how to change certain text on your iPhone to different langauges. Well, instead of changing to chinese like the example, you can just change it to anything you want. Your text cannot be longer than 8 chars for it ti display correctly.

The file you need to modify & replace is here: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

It's in binary format so you'll have to convert it to ASCII text, but you can just download a pre converted one here:

Just change the characters from Chinese to whatever you want, then put the file back on your iPhone and reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Changing Text on the Home Screen

I just read over at hackintosh (http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1799) and they show you how to change certain text on your iPhone to different langauges. Well, instead of changing to chinese like the example, you can just change it to anything you want. Your text cannot be longer than 8 chars for it ti display correctly.

The file you need to modify & replace is here: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizedApplicationNames.strings

It's in binary format so you'll have to convert it to ASCII text, but you can just download a pre converted one.

Just change the characters from Chinese to whatever you want, then put the file back on your iPhone and reboot.
Did you have any trouble with this...I tried changing the word "iPod" to "Rush" and got some funky text under most of my icons. Example under SMS it now reads "MobileSMS"; under Settings it now reads "Pref...nces"

Any suggestions-I did read through the link and its appears pretty straight forward.

Thnx

PS:

I tried putting the original file back in by first using rmdir and then putfile...this had no effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Changing Text on the Home Screen

OK-Now I am able to change the text on the home screen as I wish. I used the Chinese mod file instead of the original file. These two files are different sizes so something is going on with the original file...for what its worth.

:laugh2:

iphonemod.jpg