How to change order of widgets on home screen.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Use Manzana or WinSCP and navigate yourself to System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and then copy the file DisplayOrder.plist to your desktop. Back up it. Now open it using "Notepad" (on a PC). At first the file will look confusing, but the only thing we are worried about is the text between <string> and </string>. The first four "<string></string>"s indicate your bottom four buttons (default Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod) and then all of the other "<string></string>"s after that are your widgets (Text, Camera, etc.). Just move out the text from between the "<string></string>"s and put something else in there, say your Text string. This may sound confusing to read but it makes sense once you look at the file. Once you're done editing it, move it back onto the iPhone in the same directory, reboot your phone and it should be in the new order!

Note: This works fine for your default widgets but as far as third part applications, I don't know how to switch those as they do not show up in this file. Does anybody know how?

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Use Manzana or WinSCP and navigate yourself to System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and then copy the file DisplayOrder.plist to your desktop. Back up it. Now open it using "Notepad" (on a PC). At first the file will look confusing, but the only thing we are worried about is the text between <string> and </string>. The first four "<string></string>"s indicate your bottom four buttons (default Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod) and then all of the other "<string></string>"s after that are your widgets (Text, Camera, etc.). Just move out the text from between the "<string></string>"s and put something else in there, say your Text string. This may sound confusing to read but it makes sense once you look at the file. Once you're done editing it, move it back onto the iPhone in the same directory, reboot your phone and it should be in the new order!

Note: This works fine for your default widgets but as far as third part applications, I don't know how to switch those as they do not show up in this file. Does anybody know how?
if you don't want certain "widgets" to show up on your home screen just put the <string>example</string> under the "SPECIAL" section near the bottom

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
<key>special</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>displayIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.springboard</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.fieldtest</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.DemoApp</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<string>com.apple.MALogger</string>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

so under this Special section I am able to remove any 3rd party application without it actually being removed from the iPhone?

like give me an example using NES.