How to change the name of your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mparkes

Jul 17, 2007
My iPhone somehow adopted the name of the computer at my workplace because I registered it on that PC :sick:. Is there anyway to change that once its set? I looked in the general settings on the iPhone but I don't see anywhere to edit it. Would you have to call AT&T to have it changed? :oops:

The name in question is the one you would see if you go to "General Settings" and then select "About" - your iPhone name appears at the top of the screen.

"Username's iPhone"

thanks!

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Cant you goto iTunes and just edit the name? Im sorry my iPhone is off due to the skins installation but tryin to help... If you change the name of the iPhone on iTunes does that do anything?

princess_80854

Silver
Jul 16, 2007
You actually have to go into iTunes. When you first set the phone to sync in iTunes, it gives you the option to change the name.

alex.d

Jul 17, 2007
You actually have to go into iTunes. When you first set the phone to sync in iTunes, it gives you the option to change the name.
That is correct; simply open iTunes and make sure your iPhone is connected. Then click once on the name of the iPhone (on the left handside on the main screen of iTunes) and you will be edit the name.

I thought it was pretty confusing too.

mparkes

Jul 17, 2007
I don't see an option anywhere to change the name. When I click the "sync" button it just syncs with no dialogue. Do I have to reset the iPhone and start the whole process again?

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
No when you click on the iPhone on the left where you can see press the eject and stuff and see all the Movies , and playlists you have on the iPhone click on that name and rename it

mparkes

Jul 17, 2007
That is correct; simply open iTunes and make sure your iPhone is connected. Then click once on the name of the iPhone (on the left handside on the main screen of iTunes) and you will be edit the name.

I thought it was pretty confusing too.
Oh for crying out loud! So simple! And I have been using Mac's since the Mac plus days you'd think I would try the obvious!

Thanks all for the help, this looks like a great forum for iPhoners! :)

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
if im talking about the right thing u click on the name in iTunes which is probably "iPhone" since its the name thats automatically there double click on that and then u can change it