How to completely wipe out 3GS

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
Hi I'm about to sell my 3GS and go to my nokia surge before I get the new iPhone 4.

How exactly do I go about removing all my personal data from the 3GS? I mean I don't want a trace of it to be left there.

Also I've heard something about a MIME or something....that I have to tell AT&T to disable or something so I'm not paying for the data on the iPhone?

Any advice?

Benz4x4matthew

Jun 9, 2010
Settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.
That will do the trick.
It'll take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour but it will wipe it completely clean.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
Okay...anyone else can second that please? I don't want to take no chances with my personal info in this day and age....

EDIT: What about iTunes and my iTunes account? Don't you have to register your phones through Apple. Will that cause problems for the new owner? Do I need to do anything such as remove it from my profile or something?

Benz4x4matthew

Jun 9, 2010
You can sign out of your Apple store account from your phone and when you reset and erase go back and check to see that everything is nonexistent I did it with my original iPhone when I sold it and that reset wiped out everything pix, email, contacts, apps, passwords, Etc....
The phone was like a brand new phone with absolutely nothing on it.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
actually if you want to be really safe you need to rewrite about 80% of the data on the phone THEN wipe.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
If you want to be real technical about it, wiping doesn't really erase anything. It just marks it as free space to be written. If you have some forensic software you can see what was previously saved on the disk. This is absolute overkill for most users as i doubt you have that much sensitive information on the phone.

But anyways, it's real simple. Wipe your phone like you normally would, then sync with your computer about 90% full. Try to do mostly mp3s that way it doesn't take forever, then wipe it again. Think of it in layers, there is only one layer. You write, then you wipe, then rewrite. That way if you dig you just get a bunch of media.

There was a real techy article on this last year when 3g and 3gs came out.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
But what if you have a 32GB iPhone? You're saying I should just randomly get like 30GB of music to put on it and then wipe out again and again just to be safe?

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
But what if you have a 32GB iPhone? You're saying I should just randomly get like 30GB of music to put on it and then wipe out again and again just to be safe?
yes, depending on how much you don't want anyone else seeing your stuff.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you want to be real technical about it, wiping doesn't really erase anything. It just marks it as free space to be written. If you have some forensic software you can see what was previously saved on the disk. This is absolute overkill for most users as i doubt you have that much sensitive information on the phone.

But anyways, it's real simple. Wipe your phone like you normally would, then sync with your computer about 90% full. Try to do mostly mp3s that way it doesn't take forever, then wipe it again. Think of it in layers, there is only one layer. You write, then you wipe, then rewrite. That way if you dig you just get a bunch of media.

There was a real techy article on this last year when 3g and 3gs came out.
Actually, the utility that benz4x4 mentioned does overwrite data on the v1 and 3G. The 3GS encrypts your data, so using the 'erase all content' utility on it just erases the key, which makes it equally unrecoverable.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
Actually, the utility that benz4x4 mentioned does overwrite data on the v1 and 3G. The 3GS encrypts your data, so using the 'erase all content' utility on it just erases the key, which makes it equally unrecoverable.
So are you saying that I follow benz4x4 post I should be fine and not have to worry about my private info?

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
So can someone please break down the process form me. I have my Nokia Surge. I have my iPhone 3GS. I want to transfer my SIM card to the Nokia Surge so that it will be my temporary phone for the next 2 days until the iPhone 4 comes out and I pick mine up on Thursday Morning bright and early.

So what do I do first? Wipe out the memory and data on my 3GS 1st? With the SIM card inside?

OR

Do I transfer the SIM card to the Nokia Surge. Make sure its receiving and making phone calls and texts with no issue (I don't think the data will work). AND THEN I go to the iPhone (which now does not have the SIM hard and perform the reset to ERASE all the data)?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not like we're high profile celebrities here or anything. I just restore to factory settings and worry about more important things, like the possibility of alien invasions.