How to decline calls in locked screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sanjeev, May 2, 2012.

1. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And it's sad that you have to have it:(
    I also think ezdecline is a must have!
    Just these little things here and there that Apple should have already built in would make life so much easier.

2. Inkncraig

Inkncraig New Member

I have noticed that if I get a call from a cell phone. I have options to decline or answer the call. If I get a call from a landline I have only the "slide to answer" option

3. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Apple did build that in. All EZDecline does is enable Apple's unlocked answer call prompt even when the iPhone is locked. That prompt does not decline as in reject the call: it merely sends to voicemail (same as pressing sleep twice).

More importantly, Apple chose to use Slide to Answer while unlocked for good reason: it minimises the chance of accidentally answering a call as you pick it up, remove it from pocket, etc. while checking on who is calling. It is for that reason that I used EZDecline for about one day before deleting it (plus I had wrongly assumed it would truly decline calls, as opposed to sending to voicemail).

But iBlacklist does have tricks up its sleeve to get rid of calls without going to voicemail. It can answer a call, then quickly hang up. Even better for me is the Busy action.

What I WISH iBlacklist had, though, was a feature to play a recording of our choice in response to a given number. It would be fun to use "This number is out of service.... doooo ding dooooo" for a couple of folks who turned out to not be as sane as I originally thought. :)

Michael

4. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

LOL... I think you are only seeing normal behavior, and it is nothing to do with the call coming from a landline or not. While unlocked iPhone prompts with Decline/Answer. But when locked it switches to Slide to Answer.

Michael

5. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I wonder if there are any options that can be used if you use Google Voice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Google Voice has several options, but none really reject a call without it going to voicemail--at least not on a per call basis.

You can turn on call screening. This can be done for all callers, or just unknown callers. This requires the caller leave their name and then you can choose to accept, send to voicemail, listen in while they record voicemail with the ability to interrupt, or accept it and record the call.

Google Voice lets you block individual numbers. Blocked numbers can either be sent straight to voicemail, sent to voicemail as spam (no notification), or blocked with a "not in service" message.

But nothing at all like the OP is passionate about.

And, frankly, I don't even think declining a call is a normal function of the telephone networks. A call comes in it can either be answered or not. The carriers send an unanswered call to voicemail. I don't even think there IS a third option: decline.

The only app that comes close to this is iBlacklist. But it DOES answer the actual call to do its magic. You will see the "declined" call as an incoming call. I am sure Google Voice does the same thing when it plays the "out of service" message.

If anyone knows about some sort of standard for declining calls--without sending to voicemail--I'd sure like to know about it. Right now the only way I can see that being done without actually answering the call is for the carrier to have a special code that essentially turns off voicemail.

Michael

7. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

If declining a call is not normal function then why there r two options -- ANSWER OR DECLINE-- when we get a call in unlocked mode?

8. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

Unfortunate choice of words (decline.)

9. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

iBlackList doesn't work? That's surprising.

Sent from Tapatalk2

10. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

You can disable Voicemail thus forcing the call to dropped/killed when you dismiss it by pressing the power button...check with your network provider for instruction as the code can vary...;)

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

There is no need to act like a drama queen.

You are the one claiming that decline should not go to voicemail and that there should be a way that it does not. Why this is such a life or death issue to you, I don't know, nor do I care.

But if you want to act like it is the end of the world for the iPhone not to have this "basic" feature prove it is an industry standard, or even a basic spec, that a declined or rejected call does not go to voicemail.

Michael

12. Sanjeev

Sanjeev Member
    Bronze

Be cool buddy... I didn't mean that way... I was just saying that Rejecting a call is available in most phones. This is not a big issue for me... But sometimes it's very important .... Rejecting a call can save some money for someone... When call goes to voicemail it's always charged. Nothing hard dear... Take it easy.

13. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

I think Michael was possibly interpreting your use of all caps and multiple punctuations as a common internet expression of exasperation, anger and/or strong emotion. I don't think he meant any ill will.

14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks. That is exactly how it appeared.

Michael

15. casssax

casssax Member
    Bronze

In my experience hanging up or rejecting calls does not get the message through to telemarketers that you don't want to be called again. Most of the time it is a computer calling your phone and if you pick up it transfers it to an operator.

16. MissMerricka

MissMerricka New Member

with any carrier, regardless of the type of phone that you have, when you reject/decline a call, it will send it to the voicemail. if you are wanting to ignore the call without doing this, the only option you really have is to silence the ringer. otherwise, when the phone is locked and you want to reject/decline a call, push the sleep/home button twice. once will silence the ringer/vibration, (like when you hit the volume buttons during an incoming call), and twice will decline/reject the call AND send the caller to your voicemail.

17. MissMerricka

MissMerricka New Member

iBlacklist is one of the BEST apps i have ever had on my phone. i didn't pay for it though...theres a jailbreak version.

18. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

Someone already answered the question for you. Just hit the power button once. It will stop your phone from ringing but will NOT send the caller directly to voicemail. The caller would continue to hear ringing a few more times until it goes to voicemail by itself. If you hit to power button twice, that's when you send the caller directly to voicemail.

19. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

iBlacklist is only available via Cydia. As it requires root access, no such app in the App Store could provide the same functionality.

Also, while iBlacklist does have a free trial period, it most certainly costs money. If you got it for free, it's a pirated copy, and we don't support the repos that offer pirated apps here.

20. iigreatoneii

iigreatoneii Member
    Bronze

Them knowing you intend not to talk or take their calls won't mean anything to them anyways...

I have telemarketers calling my home phone all day and night. I've hung up and yelled into the phone to stop calling. It doesn't matter to anyone.

Anyone who needs to get a hold of me knows my cell, my home phone have all the ringers turned off now.

Your second reason is actually worth having this feature to some people. I thought this feature was going to be included in the iOS6 update, maybe I was wrong though...