How to delete single text message?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
Can we delete an individual text message in a given thread or are we forced to clear the entire conversation? It seems to me the latter, but I thought I saw somewhere (keynote, Apple videos, etc?) where we could just tap on a single message bubble and leave the remainder of the messages intact.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I guess I don't understand why that would be a "nice" option. Jus clear a conversation the next day......who cares if you put a mistake somewhere in your message

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I guess I don't understand why that would be a "nice" option. Jus clear a conversation the next day......who cares if you put a mistake somewhere in your message
Who said anything about a mistake? Doesn't your garden variety cell phone give you the option of deleting individual messages? My Motorola did. Indeed, a nice feature. Sometimes I don't want to delete an entire session/conversation but only certain messages.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
On all my previous cell phones SMS were all kept separate in the viewer so you could delete them individually. Since these are kept like chat sessions one "folder" per contact you have to clear the whole message.
Personally I like this so much better because now i can just go into SMS and touch someones name and BAM whole convo history in there and I can just type a message without having to go through the phone to choose a recipient.

Way to Go Steve!

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
For example.....with so many people wanting to check out my iPhone all the time, it'd be nice to be able to delete a single "private" text from my girlfriend, but keep the rest of the conversation. ;)

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
I guess I'm also a little curious why you would want/need to delete an individual text. I'm not saying it shouldn't be added because I think that it would be easy to add and why the hell not. However I don't really see the need the way the iPhone mms system works with the conversations. Not like many other phones group txts based on the sender. You either need the info in the conversation and keep it or you don't and you clear it. What I wouldn't mind is being able to start a new 'conversation' with the same person. (if that makes sense). Let us know.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I don't see why. IF it's something personal enough that you don't want anyone to see it, then just delete the entire conversation or just don't show it to anyone.

iHenry

Jul 16, 2008
Why do i need to delete a single text message? Well...sometimes you want to save a couple of messages from same person and delete the rest daily conversation...you definitely can't do that right now, can you?

Say, you want to save a specific message from your gf / bf...say "happy birthday" how can you do that? you probably don't want to scroll back a year conversation to find that piece of memorable text, will you?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I guess I'm also a little curious why you would want/need to delete an individual text. I'm not saying it shouldn't be added because I think that it would be easy to add and why the hell not. However I don't really see the need the way the iPhone mms system works with the conversations. Not like many other phones group txts based on the sender. You either need the info in the conversation and keep it or you don't and you clear it. What I wouldn't mind is being able to start a new 'conversation' with the same person. (if that makes sense). Let us know.
First of all, there is no MMS on an iPhone, if I understand correctly.

Second of all, if I hold a chat with someone that lasts forever (dozens and dozens of messages) and s/he sends me a phone number or an address or any other tidbit of information that I want to preserve, I would like the option of deleting the other "noise" messages, keeping the gem that contains the info that I may need later. So clearing the entire conversation would not work for me, nor will keeping the entire conversation. Make sense? :)

LE123

Jan 5, 2010
You can delete a text inside a thread of messages

Inside the text conversation, Edit appears at top right. Touch edit, then open circles will appear to the left of each text. Touch the circle by the message you want to delete, and a check mark will appear. At the bottom left a red Delete icon will appear.

Once you have marked all you want to delete, touch the red Delete icon.

This is how to save some messages from that conversation.

Michellis

Jan 5, 2010
Let's face it, the whole SMS iPhone interface is horrible! I could design a better one myself. That lurid green 'sent message bubble'.....yuk!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Let's face it, the whole SMS iPhone interface is horrible! I could design a better one myself. That lurid green 'sent message bubble'.....yuk!
Step One: www.blackra1n.com
Step Two: Download blackra1n for either Mac or PC.
Step Three: Jailbreak your phone.
Step Four: Install Cydia through Blackra1n app on your Springboard
Step Five: Install Winterboard through Cydia
Step Six: Start downloading theme's...

Pimp your txt msg bubble's :sneaky:

LE123

Jan 5, 2010
I'm having problems losing sound. Playing downloaded games apps can be fine and then the sound stops for the whole phone (iPhone 3G). I have to reboot it to get sound back.

You would think apps would be safe to download and use without causing problems for the whole phone.

Unfortunately, while trying to reboot it, all my saved texts were deleted. I'm not sure how that happened.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm having problems losing sound. Playing downloaded games apps can be fine and then the sound stops for the whole phone (iPhone 3G). I have to reboot it to get sound back.

You would think apps would be safe to download and use without causing problems for the whole phone.

Unfortunately, while trying to reboot it, all my saved texts were deleted. I'm not sure how that happened.
Were the downloaded apps legit? Also, have you been running backgrounder, as I've noticed I lose sound if I put a game e.g Need for Speed Shift under backgrounder, then do something else, then re-launch it and the sound is gone.

I do not have a clue why any of the text messages on the phone were deleted.

LE123

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you for the reply.
I'm guessing since this is the first I've heard of backgrounder, that I'm not using it.

I got the apps from the App Store through the iPhone. It last happened playing a game called Booooly, which I bought. If I play some downloaded games long enough, sound will stop.

I suppose it's not a big deal, but having to reboot the phone everyday does not seem reasonable.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Why don't you sync your phone and back all your info up and hit the restore button. This will give you a nice new fresh start. Then you can sync all of your info back to the phone, just make sure that after the restore has taken place, set up as new phone, don't restore from back-up.

LE123

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you again.

I almost did that, then stopped. I'll follow what you said and hope the phone behaves after that.

I notice you're from the UK.
I live in the state of Missouri in the US.

Thanks again for your helpful information. Best wishes for a good New Year.
Lori