How to downgrade from 5.1 to 5.0 without jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Hxh, May 12, 2012.

1. Hxh

Hxh New Member

I currently have an iPhone running 5.1. It's not jailbroken and I would like to downgrade to 5.0
    Anyone know how to do this, without jailbreaking?

#1 Hxh, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

If you are using a 4S or iPad 2 that has never been jailbroken, it's not possible....

3. Hxh

Hxh New Member

I have iPhone 4. i haven't seen anything on the internet that says its possible, which really sucks. i don't have any SHSH blobs saved

4. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

It can be done. You have to put the iPhone into 'Device Firmware Update' (DFU) mode. Basically it powers up the iPhone but does not start the boot loader and operating system. You will lose all your content, as you are re installing the full os and firmware.

So go get the 5.0 iOS file, and then follow the steps for DFU mode. I included a link about DFU mode and then a google search for the topic. Plenty of posts talking about how to/ when / why you would do it.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/

http://www.google.com/search?q=reboot+iPhone+in+dfu+mode&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=iPhone%20in%20dfu%20mode&cp=10&gs_id=2f&xhr=t&q=iPhone+into+dfu+mode&pf=p&sclient=tablet-gws&client=safari&tbo=d&oq=iPhone+intdfu+mode&aq=0&aqi=g2g-m1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=edcf9ae1530fa4f6&biw=1024&bih=672

Sent from my new iPad using iCafe app

5. Hxh

Hxh New Member

awesome. thats very helpful.

by the way , the only reason i'd want to downgrade is because I noticed that xcode 4.2 doesn't recognize my phone after I upgraded. and I want to keep developing for 5.0 instead of 5.1. is there a way to keep developing for 5.0 but use a 5.1 device for testing?

6. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

I think the only way is to maybe buy another iOS device off of eBay at a low cost so you could always have one on the current os and another for testing, etc.. I believe quite a few developers do this.

I know not the answer you wanted..

Sent from my new iPad using iCafe app

7. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Pretty sure you have to make your own ipsw file modified by your saved SHSH blob. Is my termniology correct? I restored our iPhone to 5.0.1 back to an un-jailbroken state.

8. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

Well the DFU mode should work fine. And you do not need the blobs

Once you have the full iOS 5.0 firmware file (ipsw) from Apple and complete the DFU mode to restore the firmware and the os . It will be fully restored back to iOS 5.0 instead of 5.1. Basically a factory restore back to 5.0

Again you can get all the Apple firmware files (ipsw) from such sites as www.iPhonefirmware.com

Sites like these just track the ipsw files and when you download you are actually getting the file directly from the Apple servers.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Pretty sure that is incorrect. DFU mode or not, a saved blob is needed since Apple is not signing any firmware but the current one.
    The way I understand it, that's what the blobs are for.
    You redirect iTunes to think that the older firmware IS signed, and that's only possible if the blob has been saved for your device at some point.....

10. Shan S.

Shan S. New Member

Ok yes I did forget that Apple is not signing the old firmware. I believe you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

11. Hxh

Hxh New Member

looks like snowtrooper is right. i tried the DFU recovery but it said my phone is not eligible for this build. thanks anyway!

12. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

What I find interesting is that Cydia is telling me I have saved blobs for 5.1, even though I'm on 5.0.1, on both my iPad 2 CDMA and my iPhone. How is that possible that I have blobs for a firmware version I never upgraded to?

Not complaining, just curious. I want to update, but

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have to update to a firmware to save blobs for it. It just saves them for whatever firmware version Apple is currently signing regardless of what you're actually running on the phone. It automatically saved 5.1 for you prior to the signing window closing last month.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The SHSH just allows you to get past the eligibility check prior to the restore. It doesn't modify the firmware file (ipsw). I've only used custom firmware when I wanted to preserve my baseband.

15. phlothario

phlothario New Member

No restore to any os unless you have the shsh saved for that specific os version.