How to fix 90% of your problems

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Stop customizing it!

I do not get why everyone is so custom crazy with their iPhones. Its your phones and your free to do what you want and I know there will always be a group that hacks their phone, xbox, computer, etc.

But you can't complain when your hacks stop working or cause errors.

I bought my iPhone to make calls, visual voicemail, internet access, and music. I get the added bonus of maps and videos. I know more is on the way. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I KNEW IT WAS WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I never had a problem with an upgrade, every now and then I have to reboot the device (i think twice) cause of some glitch, and I could never be happier with my iPhone.

Can someone explain to me the craze to have to hack your iPhone? And why those that do expect their iPhone to keep working?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
It's human nature. The more you lock down a device, the more you attract others to find work-arounds. Although I have no intention of jail breaking, I think we all benefit from the discoveries people make with their devices.

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I do not have a problem with people customizing their phone - is their phone. I am just surprised by the number of people that do and the effort. To me the iPhone is a electronic device, I believe many view it as a little personal computer - hey there is a desktop, internet, email - it must be a computer, and want to treat it as such.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hey, each to their own. I don't mod, but I don't care if others do.

This should turn into an interesting thread.. off to get the popcorn.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've been feeling meh lately, so I'm not firing with all my guns today. Boo...

In any case consider this, of the problematic posts here, theres actually a small ratio of "catostrophic" threads compared to ones with simple problems like not giving an application the correct permissions. Most of the modders who have problems have either never touched a 'Nix based OS, have never used SSH, or haven't a clue what a command prompt or terminal screen are. It's only natural these people run into problems, and as such, we're here to help.

Take Macman for example, he's not a modder, but he knows enough about it to forumlate his own conclusions and not rely on answers from the very people he has differences of opinions with. Because if you ask a Modder if they are happy with their modifications, they're going to praise their handy work by default.

So this begs the question, why write a post if only to lambast said modders for an erroneous install or a wrong permission setting that has them asking for help?

The knowledge you seek is already at hand, peruse the threads in the modifications forum and enjoy the ride.

You look new, Welcome to EIC.

:)

Actually, if we're going to fix problems, a HUGE amount of problems can be solved by simply reading the manual.

How many times have we all read the "One of my speakers doesn't play" threads? ;)

"......hey there is a desktop, internet, email - it must be a computer...."

And mark me down for one of those people who consider the iPhone a computer! Sure, it's a LIMITED computer, but a computer nonetheless.

The reason I customize it, is primarily because I can. Pretty much the same reason I did it to the new laptop when I bought it. Sure, I could have used it exactly the way it was when I took it out of the box, but I wanted it my way. I paid the money for it. I want it how I want it!

Little stuff like moving icons, changing wallpaper, changing the system sounds. Nothing major.

Not trying to change the world or reinvent the wheel...just want that picture of Optimus Prime on the desktop! :)

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I have actually been here since they released the iPhone, been more of a reader than a contributor.

As I said I am not purposely blasting modders though my opinion post comes across that way as I over stated what I was saying to make a point.

What intrigues me more is how people view the iPhone and what they want to do with it.

To me I want to hold Apple 100% accountable for my phone, which is why I normally don't mod things. Now I am an IT guy and have that geek in me so I know how to program, change jumpers, rewire, upload, download, etc. So its not a fear of being able to do it, but its when something goes bad I want to be able to go to Apple and say fix this.

Now with a desktop or a laptop I would not hesitant to mod because my view of a computer is that it should do anything I want it to do.

But my view of a electronic device - cell phone, game console, car alarm, pda, etc - is completely different. I am buying a preprogrammed device to do a limited number of things.

Now I know people have always modded games consoles, cell phones, etc - but normally it is a limited number of people that have the "geek" in them.

But with the iPhone there seems to be a larger than normal community centered on hacks (and they are hacks - they are changes to the device to make them do something they were not designed to do, a mod is an add on or configuration change through normal - meaning by design- means).

Is the view point of an iPhone different than a normal cell phone - is the iPhone no longer a cell phone?

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Uhh, yes. You don't call it your "phone" , you call it your "iPhone". I think it's safe to say that the iPhone is above and beyond a "cell phone".
A blackberry is a cellphone, email, and internet (crapping internet but internet), why is there not such a large hack a blackberry movement.

Once again not a problem with hacking, I guess I am starting to wonder if I need to update my own thinking.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I modded my phone and didn't have any bad problems. On a side note my phone is no longer customized because I had to turn it in for some warrany work. However, I really don't see myself going back to modding because it actually looks like Apple might start making good decisions with updates and applications. Also when I modded my phone I added some custom ringtones, and applied a couple to certain contacts. When I went back to stock, it was shortly before I had to send my phone in for warranty work (for a faulty touch screen). So when I received my phone it was a replacement phone, and I just went ahead and left it stock. The ringtones were still set for ringtones that could never be on a stock iPhone at the time, and whenever I would receive a call from certain people there was no ringing. For awhile I wondered why there was no ringing, and when I checked out my contacts info I fould that the Ringtone was still set to "We be clubbin'" and that file no longer existed on my phone. That was the worst problem I have ever had due to modding. I have always been curious how much the technitians went through the phone to see what was wrong. They could have busted me! :p

miketl

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Stop customizing it!

I do not get why everyone is so custom crazy with their iPhones. Its your phones and your free to do what you want and I know there will always be a group that hacks their phone, xbox, computer, etc.

But you can't complain when your hacks stop working or cause errors.

I bought my iPhone to make calls, visual voicemail, internet access, and music. I get the added bonus of maps and videos. I know more is on the way. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I KNEW IT WAS WHEN I BOUGHT IT. I never had a problem with an upgrade, every now and then I have to reboot the device (i think twice) cause of some glitch, and I could never be happier with my iPhone.

Can someone explain to me the craze to have to hack your iPhone? And why those that do expect their iPhone to keep working?

I understand where your coming from...
the reason i started hacking the iPhone is cause it didn't have some basic features that my blackberry had and i got use to them.

don't get my wrong ill take my iPhone over the blackberry but iPhone was lacking some basics.

ringtones, search, ability to customize icons etc.
and now that i got the basics back i guess i cant stop wanting more :)

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Not directed at any one user but just a general comment and reply to the thread!

as a new iPhone user...after about 6 hours of reading through the quick tips my reaction was..
THATS IT! Thats all there is to this thing! Big stinkin deal..hell yeah i am gonna hack it and i really don't give a rats a** what anyone thinks about it one way or another. If i choose to throw it in the garbage a year from now. That will be my prerogative.

I can say that even as a new user, and after takin some time to jailbreakin the iterd and loading and sampling over 100 appls.! The iPhone has a lot of potential but the larger part of that potential will not be for ordinary users. For ordinary users to sit around and wait for Apple to throw you a bone 2 or 3 times a year and call them upgrades. That would be your prerogative.

Here is analogy for ya! Kind of like the Music industry and music rights to songs..
if over the past 20 years i have bought ...as an example Led Zeppelin IV
on 8 track, cassette, cd, album, and more often than not more than one copy ...when do my rights kick in...how many copies of that album do i have to buy before my rights kick in...Am i going to get an email from RIAA (sp) saying Chris now that you have bought 5 copies of this album ...its ok to do with it whatever you want..no. I have had to do that on my own fully understanding the consequences.

Point: After 20 phones I/we should be able to have a phone/iPhone that allows customization. Whats the harm in customizing an iPhone? What do you mean i got to buy a ringtone from iTunes...Whats the harm in creating my own wall paper or my own set of icons...!

Therein lies the novelty and currency of the item!

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Honestly, I jailbroke my phone once and have installed and deleted around 50-75 apps.
I have had NO PROBLEMS at all (with the exception of some deleted apps leaving small reminders that I downloaded them).

Some apps you find you need and some you don't need.
Some you don't THINK you need and then find you cannot live without.

Remember when cable tv came out and you said "I won't pay for tv when I can get it for free"? Or answering machines? Or CELL PHONES?

Sure the iPhone un-modded is great. Modded it is BETTER.

There are so many apps out there that you cannot know WHY people jailbreak and customize their phone unless you try it yourself.

Believe me, it is worth it.

Dana

Nov 4, 2007
I don't think anyone should be chastised for jailbreaking their phone then seeking assistance on these forums. It is the whole reason why forums exist. I would call myself an expert with the Palm Treo all because of threads like this. EverythingQ helped get very acquainted with the Motorola Q. I naturally gravitated to this message board. I have to say, there is far less flaming and insulting on this site than anywhere else, I commend all posters and members for that. I have not modded, but I am considering it after the next upgrade disappoints me. I hope when people totally crash, crack, break, urinate on their iPhone, that they come to us to tell us about it. The more people share their mistakes and the more people help solve them, the more we learn about the iPhone and educate that uninitiated. So carry on you software daredevils and those that bring them back from oblivion.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
A blackberry is a cellphone, email, and internet (crapping internet but internet), why is there not such a large hack a blackberry movement.

Once again not a problem with hacking, I guess I am starting to wonder if I need to update my own thinking.
Blackberrys, or at least my Pearl was open to third party software--ergo, no need to hack, just install.

I hacked my iPhone so I could customize the way it looked. I've always personalized my PC so naturally I carried that over to the iPhone.

With a restore ready to go anytime the sh*t hits the fan, why not take a chance?

Plus hacking stuff is just plain cool. :cool: