How to for the new user..........

Jan 11, 2008
K, I'm not a computer/phone wizard, so everything seems pretty strange to me. I'm coming from a Krazor phone, which I did love. After owning my new iPhone for one day, I wanted to throw it across the parking lot.

1. I gather it will not send or receive picture text messaging. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

2. I cannot get it to receive work email, which is a POP (or POP3) whatever that is.....it's Outlook Express. I have tried looking at my current email info. and typing it on the phone just as it says, but it says it cannot verify the information. So what am I doing wrong. I was able to get my AOL email, but I really need my work email also. (the reason I bought this phone).

3. When at my office and I try and access the internet, if the wifi isn't working, should it still be able to access the internet?

4. When the phone is in sleep mode (I guess that is what it is called), a black screen, does it not ring out loud if you get a call? Does it not beep if you get an email? It appears that when mine is on the black screen, it's not notifying me of anything.........

K, that should do for now. Thanks for your help. I know this phone has some cool stuff, maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it to be impressed yet. Also, is there no pen for the texting and emailing. Geeze, I can't imagine anyone typing on the keyboard w/fat fingers!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
K, I'm not a computer/phone wizard, so everything seems pretty strange to me. I'm coming from a Krazor phone, which I did love. After owning my new iPhone for one day, I wanted to throw it across the parking lot.

1. I gather it will not send or receive picture text messaging. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

2. I cannot get it to receive work email, which is a POP (or POP3) whatever that is.....it's Outlook Express. I have tried looking at my current email info. and typing it on the phone just as it says, but it says it cannot verify the information. So what am I doing wrong. I was able to get my AOL email, but I really need my work email also. (the reason I bought this phone).

3. When at my office and I try and access the internet, if the wifi isn't working, should it still be able to access the internet?

4. When the phone is in sleep mode (I guess that is what it is called), a black screen, does it not ring out loud if you get a call? Does it not beep if you get an email? It appears that when mine is on the black screen, it's not notifying me of anything.........

K, that should do for now. Thanks for your help. I know this phone has some cool stuff, maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it to be impressed yet. Also, is there no pen for the texting and emailing. Geeze, I can't imagine anyone typing on the keyboard w/fat fingers!
1)No picture text msg (MMS), at least not yet.

2)Double/triple check your email settings, POP mail should work fine.

3)You should still be able to access the 'net using EDGE if wifi is not available.

4)The phone should ring while in sleep mode, as long as you're not on vibrate, or have the volume all the way down. Same for email alerts.

As for typing w/fat fingers, you're probably SOL! :p

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007

I have fat fingers (and stomach for that matter) and the phone does a really good job at learning how your chubby little stubbies work around the letters. Trust the phone. It will take a bit but I am typing like crazy now, and very rarely does the phone not know what I am trying to say. Its evil you know, reads your mind. takes you over. Soon, you will be one of us, and love it.

Here is my honest answer to all your questions. Just go to the settings button, look through them, take your time, be calm, and read and play with them. don't worry about the stupid manual, this will just confuse you,and make you want to throw your phone off a roof. If you just slow down, and play with the phone, you will learn everything on your own. don't get frustrated, and don't get scared. worst case, you reset the phone to default, or come here and ask for help. Remember, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BREAK THE PHONE. No matter what you do, no matter what setting you set, you can always go back. So, just have fun. think of it as a toy. just play around with the settings, and get it to do what you want it to do. I hope this helps.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
PS. Give your iPhone to your I.T. guy at work. Say "make this get work email" and BOOM! it will get work email. Maybe give him a bottle of some liquor for a bribe.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Welcome back, so this is my take on your situation to expand on Honda's answers:

1)You can email a picture from your phone by going into the photos, click a picture to bring it up, then click the lower left icon and a popup ask what you want to do with the pic, in your case select email, then put in the email address...send.

2)For the mail in settings for the POP for incoming:
Host Name: mail.anything.com (this is your host name get info from cpu)
User Name: enter your user name
Password: enter password

For outgoing mail:
Host Name: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com (enter your IP info from cpu
User Name: enter info
Password: Enter password

3)Depending on you location in the office you may not have strong signal. Check to see if your office has a wifi and connect to that.

4) When the phone is sleeping, and an incoming call comes in it will ring and show a picture of the person that is calling (if you have a picture of the person in contacts) you will then need to slide to unlock and then hit answer.

Jan 11, 2008
Okay, thanks for the tips.
I hope they come out with the text picturing, as I'm sure everyone else does. My family shares pictures via our phones all the time and now I can't. Our kids don't have email, only phones. So that is a bummer.

For the email, we don't have a computer person, so that's out. I tried to sync w/my outlook express and it didn't work. Even though iTunes has the option, it's not working for me. Any suggestions on that.

Thanks. I might have to break down and just call Apple Support.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Okay, thanks for the tips.
I hope they come out with the text picturing, as I'm sure everyone else does. My family shares pictures via our phones all the time and now I can't. Our kids don't have email, only phones. So that is a bummer.

For the email, we don't have a computer person, so that's out. I tried to sync w/my outlook express and it didn't work. Even though iTunes has the option, it's not working for me. Any suggestions on that.

Thanks. I might have to break down and just call Apple Support.

What computer operating system do you have.

Also Outlook 2003 and up works better that the express.

Jan 11, 2008
Well I have a Dell Dimension 5150, for whatever that is worth. Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002. And it does have Microsoft Outlook, but we only use Outlook Express.

Jan 11, 2008
If the Outlook is version 2003 minimum it is better.
Ok, my boss probably has the latest version, he has everything. What is the latest and I'll ask him and see if I can download it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Ok, my boss probably has the latest version, he has everything. What is the latest and I'll ask him and see if I can download it.
Outlook 2007.

Also on your dell computer, go online to microsoft.com and download the lastest XP update (free), I think it is SP2 right now.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Looks like everybody else has you covered.

Welcome to the site!

- John

biecacka

Jan 14, 2008
wallpaper

could someone help me upload wallpaper from my computer to my iPhone? also i would like to know how to put the wallpaper behind the icons on my scren. it is jailbroken with summerboard installed already......what next?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
could someone help me upload wallpaper from my computer to my iPhone? also i would like to know how to put the wallpaper behind the icons on my scren. it is jailbroken with summerboard installed already......what next?

You can go here for the summerboard themes.

And go here for the wallpapers

Last edited by a moderator:

biecacka

Jan 14, 2008
You can go here for the summerboard themes.

And go here for the wallpapers
thank you so much man i still cant figure out how to upload wallpaper from my pc to the phone but i was able to get some pretty cool backgrounds anyway with your help! i will keep you in mind if i need some more help :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
u need winzip or winrar on yur pc to unzip the files and then you SSH them or use a program like ibrickr to put the wallpaper,icons,dock,etc onto your phone.

thank you so much man i still cant figure out how to upload wallpaper from my pc to the phone but i was able to get some pretty cool backgrounds anyway with your help! i will keep you in mind if i need some more help :cool:

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Well, I don't have the smallest fingers (you can see me in my avatar pic on the left <<<) but i still type very fast...

biecacka

Jan 14, 2008
iappaday.com/install
you can use this in your installer on the iPhone to get a ton of wallpapers good luck