How to force a sync with Exchange server

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by AppleMicrosoft, Sep 1, 2017.

1. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

I am syncrhonizing the notes, calendar, and contacts (not email) on my new iPhone SE (iOS 10) with an Exchange Server interface (AkrutoSync). It's not a full fledged exchange server. It simply presents an Exchange Server interface to the iPhone (or to an Android) to enable syncing with a Microsoft Outlook client running on a laptop or desktop.

Of the phones that can interface with it, iPhone is apparently unique in that the user cannot manually trigger a sync. Syncs occur every 10-15 minutes, I'm told. In my case, the iPhone connects to AkrutoSync over my home WiFi network.

Not being able to force a sync at will is a bit of a pain. If I create or delete an appointment on Outlook, I want to be able to synchronize at will. I don't want to wait an unknown length of time and hope that there was a sync. I might be headed out the door for some engagement.

Is it in fact true that iOS will not allow me to force a sync at will? If not, then how does one force a sync? Simply switching to away from an app (notes, calendar, contacts) and swithcing back doesn't do it. Neither does putting the phone to sleep and reawakening it.

2. AppleMicrosoft

Bronze

Based on responses from AkrutoSync and other forums, and verified by yours truly, pulling down on Calendar and Contacts lists causes a sync. There is no such feature for Notes, but the iPhone Notes app seems to automatically attempt a sync when I add/delete notes. Furthermore, if I add/delete notes on the Outlook client on the laptop, AkrutoSync seems to be able to initiate a sync. I am surprised by this push sync, as my settings on the iPhone was to sync manually. But as long as I can sync without waiting 5 to 15 minutes (or even 1 to 15 minutes), it has the effect I want. Furthermore, if the phone is off, and I add/delete a note, the phone seems to know that it has to attempt a sync when re-awakened. Whatever byzantine heuristics exist to govern the initiation of syncing under various situtations, the overall effect seems to be as desired.

As for Fetch and Push, I have them all set to Manual. I don't want automatic.