How to get a hold of 3.0 Beta

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Since all iPhone developers are given a copy of 3.0 beta already, could they share the firmware file with non-developers like us, and we can install it using the Shift+Restore option in iTunes (where we can choose our own firmware file)? I don't want to wait until summer and I'm willing to deal with all the bugs and random apps not working :/

(Please don't merge this with the Official 3.0 Thread since this is about the Beta.)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Unfortunately they can't just give you the image to use. The reason is (I'm assuming it's true for this beta like the 2.0 beta) is that you have to use XCode to install it, you don't use iTunes for the first few betas. You then have to provision your device with your developer certificate. That means if you don't have a certificate you can't use the beta.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Crap. Did the hacking community release a firmware file version of 2.0 beta to the public? Or is that even possible...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
They did. It's possible is just requires some work. I'm sure the Dev Team will be working hard to get something out the door. But if it's like the 2.0 beta's, you won't want the first 2 or 3 betas as they will be slow and have some bugs.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
They did. It's possible is just requires some work. I'm sure the Dev Team will be working hard to get something out the door. But if it's like the 2.0 beta's, you won't want the first 2 or 3 betas as they will be slow and have some bugs.
Did you need to be jailbroken to install it or did it just install like a normal firmware upgrade using Shift+Restore?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
i actually don't remember that. I think you just had to have the XCode tools installed.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I've seen devs in other forums offering the 3.0 beta to others - all they need to do is get the UDID for your iPhone to register with their dev account and send you the link to it. As long is your iPhone's UDID is registered with a dev account, it will work. Apparently, if you install the beta without a registered UDID, it will brick your iPhone and you can't go back to 2.x. :eek:

erhalt1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
I am a little confused, I have a dev id number, but i have not paid any money, what do i need to do to get 3.0, am i qualified to get the update?
What is the shift restore method?

thanks so much

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok I got a copy of the .ipsw firmware file for 3.0 beta. But, like macgirl mentioned, no one can install it without having a dev register their phone's UUID first. Is there a dev that is willing to register mine? I'd be willing to give some money to offset developer costs. My phone's unique identifier is 36a5688d058d9e21745a6e39b68cdfa498ae1aff.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Did you install through iTunes or Xcode? I have had xcode for awhile now since I do develop programs, just not for the iPhone lol.

I am a little confused, I have a dev id number, but i have not paid any money, what do i need to do to get 3.0, am i qualified to get the update?
You are apparently a Free registered iPhone Developer. In order to get the v3.0 beta you must be either a full or enterprise developer (paid)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You are apparently a Free registered iPhone Developer. In order to get the v3.0 beta you must be either a full or enterprise developer (paid)
A paid developer can register other users iPhone's who aren't the $99 developers.

Hialeahzbg

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
How can I be a beta tester? Can a dev put me on their list?