How To Get An iPhone 5 Without Waiting 3-4 weeks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Just read this on techno buffalo http://www.technobuffalo.com/technobuffalo/advice/how-to-get-an-iphone-5-without-waiting-3-4-weeks/

iPhone-5_pre-order.jpg

Well I just felt I couldn’t write fairly about the entire smartphone market without owning one of the most popular phones available right now. So, yesterday, I decided to open a new line and go in search of an iPhone 5 to compliment the Galaxy S III I already carry.

I live in Manhattan and tried calling every wireless carrier in my area. There were a few Sprint iPhone 5 units available, but I wanted to add an account to the AT&T account I’ve had since 2007. I couldn’t find one in stock at a single AT&T, so I tried calling Best Buy, every Apple Store in Manhattan and RadioShack. No dice – nobody had it in stock.

Then one Apple Store retail employee let me in on a not-so-secret secret. I hadn’t heard of it, but maybe you have. If you go to Apple’s website between 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. local time, you can place an order for pickup at a nearby Apple Store location the next day. Sometimes the wait is as little as an hour, depending on your location and what’s in stock. I’m lucky because I live next to the 5th Avenue Apple Store, which is open 24 hours a day.

You can order any model of the iPhone 5 and for any of the three carriers that currently offer it, but you need to move fast. An Apple Store employee told me they are usually sold out shortly after 10:00 p.m., but I was able to find a white 32GB AT&T model at around 10:20 p.m. The 16GB black and white models were already sold out and there weren’t any black 32GB options available (my first choice).

When I went to the store to pick it up this morning there were a few people in line trying to buy a new iPhone 5. I saw about a hundred of them behind the counter, but the Apple Store employees wouldn’t sell them. Why? They were reserved for people who had placed pre-orders online the night before, just like I had.

So, if you want to avoid the 3-4 week wait times that Apple, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon have on their sites, head over to Apple’s site and pre-order it. Just remember, you’ll have the best selection if you log on at 10:00 p.m.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They have very little stock. Even if you check right at 10 pm exactly, you'll have difficulty finding one from what I've seen so far.
Makes perfect sense. I hope they do that with the unlocked phones when they start selling them.
They didn't last year. The only way you could get them was to order through Apple.com.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Does anyone know when they will start selling the unlocked phones?
If you will be using either AT&T or Verizon, then you're in luck...

AT&T: you can unlock it by connecting it to your computer and restoring it through iTunes, assuming, of course, you payed full price for it. And as far as Verizon, they're all sold unlocked. Don't give Verizon any kudos for this--they have no other choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you will be using either AT&T or Verizon, then you're in luck...

AT&T: you can unlock it by connecting it to your computer and restoring it through iTunes, assuming, of course, you payed full price for it. And as far as Verizon, they're all sold unlocked. Don't give Verizon any kudos for this--they have no other choice.
But as far as I know, you still have to provide a phone number and account information for either AT&T or Verizon, so this wouldn't help someone on T-Mobile, etc.
Does anyone know when they will start selling the unlocked phones?
Apple hasn't stated an ETA for the factory unlocked models. I think they started selling the factory unlocked 4S about a month after the carrier-locked versions last year, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But the att if purchased at full price is unlocked you just have to do the restore to unlock it.
But you have to already have an AT&T account (that isn't eligible for upgrade) or set one up a new account to get an AT&T iPhone at full cost. I've heard that you can go into Apple and pick one up and ask them to sell it to you as a "Device Only" using the "Easy Pay" app on their in-store iPhones that they use as registers, which will bypass the need for AT&T account info, but I can't find a way to get to that point. You can't just waltz into an Apple store right now and expect to find any iPhone 5s in stock. You have to order and wait or try to find one right at 10 pm for next day pickup, and both methods require an AT&T account.

The only way I can see to do this is buy one on AT&T, wait a month until it's no longer returnable, then cancel the AT&T account and pay the ETF or buy a used AT&T iPhone 5 on eBay/craigslist. Otherwise, just wait until the factory unlocked models are available for order. It will probably be sometime this month.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
But you have to already have an AT&T account (that isn't eligible for upgrade) or set one up a new account to get an AT&T iPhone at full cost. I've heard that you can go into Apple and pick one up and ask them to sell it to you as a "Device Only" using the "Easy Pay" app on their in-store iPhones that they use as registers, which will bypass the need for AT&T account info, but I can't find a way to get to that point. You can't just waltz into an Apple store right now and expect to find any iPhone 5s in stock. You have to order and wait or try to find one right at 10 pm for next day pickup, and both methods require an AT&T account.

The only way I can see to do this is buy one on AT&T, wait a month until it's no longer returnable, then cancel the AT&T account and pay the ETF or buy a used AT&T iPhone 5 on eBay/craigslist. Otherwise, just wait until the factory unlocked models are available for order. It will probably be sometime this month.
If you buy an iPhone 5 or any smart phone at AT&T for full price you don't pay ETF. ETF its only for subsidized phones.