How to get Cydia purchased apps bought from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4?

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
Do you need to pay for them again because if you go to re install them won't it recognize a different serial number from your phone?

Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It depends on the app. Most of them require that you sign in through Google or Facebook when you purchase. They are then tied to that account and you can install them again for free, even on a new iPhone. I have bought a couple that are tied to that phone and you have to pay for them again before you can install on a new device. MiVTones (video ringtone app) is the only one I can think of. I also had to pay for iRealSMS again, but I think that was just a glitch; most people only have to pay once for it.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Once it makes you sign in via google or paypal, it sees that you bought the app already and gives you a free download.
Worked with Cyntacts. I bought it once, but used it on two replacement phones.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've been through a few iPhones and I've had to pay for a few here and there, whereas others I've simply been able to download them again.

I think there has been a bit of confusion here, you sign in with either Google or Amazon. Then you go through the Payment process.

As, Europa said, if the app works when you link an account to the phone through the above said, it usually works just fine.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Quick question though...Cydia is an app placed on the phone by JB'ing...So does the new one need to be jb for the apps you brought to apply?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Quick question though...Cydia is an app placed on the phone by JB'ing...So does the new one need to be jb for the apps you brought to apply?
Yeah, you need Cydia. Think of Cydia as a different version of the app store
I sign in with Facebook when I buy Cydia apps. I don't know about Amazon.
I have never had a sign in with Facebook sign come up whilst in Cydia. It may be because I linked my Google account the Cydia as soon as they opened the store. I only ever get Google and Amazon, then I pay via paypal. I don't use Facebook anyway, but thanks for the heads up.