How to get iPhone A2DP Stereo Bluetooth Audio working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

k-iphone

Sep 15, 2007
It's really annoying that Apple screwed up the iPhone's BLUETOOTH I have read it's 2.0, but for some reason Apple is controlling the A2DP profile.

Has any one found out how to get this working?

please help me if you do know..

Thanks much

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only thing you can do (until Apple updates the A2DP implementation, if it ever will) is buy a bluetooth transmitter (about $50). Several are mentioned in the forums here.

May 9, 2007
Bluetooth dongle

It's really annoying that Apple screwed up the iPhone's BLUETOOTH I have read it's 2.0, but for some reason Apple is controlling the A2DP profile.

Has any one found out how to get this working?

please help me if you do know..

Thanks much
Yo man the best thing you can do until Apple updates with the abality to use setero bluetooth is to buy a bluetooth dongel i have being using one that oakley makes work fine no really problems and you can also handle calls if the headset allows you to do booth functions most headsets out their does give you that option as far as i know.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Can you post instructions for using the Oakley icombi with an iPhone? I bought one but cannot get it to work at all. I need information such as, do you leave the internal bluetooth off? Once connected what is the next step to make it work?

May 9, 2007
Can you post instructions for using the Oakley icombi with an iPhone? I bought one but cannot get it to work at all. I need information such as, do you leave the internal bluetooth off? Once connected what is the next step to make it work?

All you got to do is to connect the icomb pair headset with the icome don't have to enter passcode only got to do than once the first time you connect to the iPhone you will see the light flasshing fast once you pair it with the headset your good to go and as far having to leave the bluetooth function on i am not shure about that i am still trying to figure that out it should work wather the bluetooh is on or off but to handle calls you will have the pair with the iPhone of corse I would suggest leaving the bluetooth on. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Aug 26, 2008
You know, when I first received the 3G, my Sony headphones worked. When I went to pair them, it asked for the 4-digit pin, which I entered and I was listening to stereo quite

Aug 26, 2008
It worked - at first

When I first got the 3G, my Sony stereo headphones worked. I paired them and it asked for the 4-digit pin, then it worked just fine. The next time I went to use them (after a couple of software updates, BTW), they didn't. I am beginning to think Apple is a worse daemon than Microsoft.

I will NOT buy a dongle. I'll wait until 29 days have passed, then return the darned thing.

ekgmedia

Aug 27, 2008
When I first got the 3G, my Sony stereo headphones worked. I paired them and it asked for the 4-digit pin, then it worked just fine. The next time I went to use them (after a couple of software updates, BTW), they didn't...
What version did it last work on? Which Bluetooth headphones was it?

Aug 26, 2008
It was the Sony headphones - and it was the original 3G software - 2.0 or so. But since writing my post, I've read so much that I am beginning to second guess having heard the stereo on my headphones. Was I dreaming - because I was thrilled that it worked - and am certain that it did.

:confused:

bearon1

Bronze
Oct 6, 2008
YOU CAN PURCHASE A UNIT THAT PLUGS INTO THE
HEADSET JACK THAT TRANSMITS THE MUSIC TO ANY STEREO SET
SET TO THAT FREQ. THEY USED TO USE IT FOR PORTABLE CD PLAYERS
IN YOUR CAR. They cost about thirty dollars

bearon1

Bronze
Oct 6, 2008
YOU CAN PURCHASE A UNIT THAT PLUGS INTO THE
HEADSET JACK THAT TRANSMITS THE MUSIC TO ANY STEREO SET
SET TO THAT FREQ. THEY USED TO USE IT FOR PORTABLE CD PLAYERS
IN YOUR CAR. They cost about thirty dollars
NOW ALL JOBS GOTTA DO IS DESIGN A UNIT THAT PLUGS INTO THE USB PORT AT THE BOTTOM THAT TRANSMITS BOTH AUDIO and THE DISPLAY AND BOOSTS THE BATTERY LIFE.

CUT N PASTE WOULD BE NICE TOO. You won't need it if you can tether the unit

bearon1

Bronze
Oct 6, 2008
NOW ALL JOBS GOTTA DO IS DESIGN A UNIT THAT PLUGS INTO THE USB PORT AT THE BOTTOM THAT TRANSMITS BOTH AUDIO and THE DISPLAY AND BOOSTS THE BATTERY LIFE.

CUT N PASTE WOULD BE NICE TOO. You won't need it if you can tether the unit
then you have to get another case

Elder

Oct 15, 2008
when did bluetooth ipod audio work

It was verion 1.1 just before 2.0. the type of bluetooth head phones isn't the issue, its the OS in the iPhone thats been messed up.
Store bought iPhones come with old version 1.0 ;just bought one 2 week ago.

emsee

Oct 19, 2008
at least it works but not stereo!

1 You need to first get your carrier's voicemail number.
2 Click on your iPhone's phone button.
3 Then click on the Keypad tab.
4 You need to then add the following code: *5005*86*xxx#. Here xxx would be your voicemail number or 123 would do.
5 After entering the code you tap call.
6 This results in the code being set.
7 Thats all, tap now on the voicemail button and it should automatically call your usual voicemail service.

1) dial *#307#
2) 1 calls your phone ....answer!
3) press home key. switch to ipod and play any track for blissful hours of uninterrupted monphonic audio over bluetooth with volume control! Cool or what?!

Oct 28, 2008
iPhone 3G works via A2DP using the Sony TMR-BT81P adapter to Pioneer Car deck

iPhone 3G works with A2DP using the Sony TMR-BT81P adapter! Here's my project: connect my iPhone 3G to my car stereo using A2DP. I was able to successfuly connect my iPhone 3G to my car deck using this adapter, play music, and change tracks. The car this was installed on was my mercedes c-class '02 model. Heres the equipment I used:

1) Pioneer DEH-6900UB car receiver (no longer sold, but newer ones are also Bluetooth compatible)
2) Pioneer CD-BTB100 Bluetooth module; connects to the car receiver for handsfree talking and stereo bluetooth
3) Sony TMR-BT81P bluetooth transmitter
4) iPhone 3G (mine was unlocked)

Steps to connect:

1) Swith car receiver to BT Audio (you can also do step 2 before 1).
2) Plug-in the Sony adapter into the iPhone 3G
3) Swith to iPod music
4) Push the Sony adapter on button (only one button to sync/turn on/turn off).
5) The blue light will flash for several seconds while it syncs with the pioneer and it will then connect. You will get the 'accessory is not made for iPhone prompt, swith to airplane mode'. Select no.
6) The pioneer deck will then change over to connected to iPhone. Push play on the current song and you should start hearing music streaming through your car audio speakers. No wires! =) I was able to then change tracks using only the iPhone/ipod screen controls, without having to use the receiver change track knob. I was also able to change tracks using the knob as well; perfrect if you want to hide away your iPhone once connnected. Battery life on using the sony transmitter was pretty good considering.

Notes:
After fiddling with various scenarios, a couple of notes here.

Handsfree calling using the CD-BTB100: I also use the iPhone 3G and bluetooth module for hands-free calling so if you connect the iPhone 3G to the receiver for handsfree calling, expect some glitches. Sometimes when a call would come in, it would not revert back to the A2DP music being played at the time and sometimes freeze the iPhone. If a freeze occurs after a phone-call, The only way to fix this was to disconnect the sony adapter and do a soft restart. Other times, I would connect the handsfree connection first and then play music second, for both functions to work properly. Make sure that once connected for audio a2dp and telephone that the receiver is telling you its connected.

On powering up:
Since this adapter feeds its power from the iPhone, you have to connect and push the button everytime you disconnect it and then reconnect it for it to begin syncing with the car deck.

Car operation:
As any user of this pioneer module will tell you, the bluetooth connection will not stay on if you turn off the car and take out the key. This process has to be repeated everytime you power on the car and the car stereo receives power.

The pictures:
The first pic is of the unit displaying no BT connection, with the adapter unconnected (of course).
Since I'm using the iPhone photo function, the second pic shows that its connected once I do the above procedures and connect the adapter to my iPhone, get a solid a2dp connection, and start playing music. I'll try to put up a youtube video of this process for you audiophiles out there. Enjoy!

Attachments