How to get new mail accounts (hotmail)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
Can anyone tell me how to set a hotmail account up on the iPhone for the mail button.
I know where you set it up at, but what do you put in the incoming and outgoing mails (host name). Also should i use the IMAP, POP or Exchange?

Thanks in advance

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You can not retrieve your hotmail (Microsoft) from your iPhone's (Apple), mail client. You can use the web interface or buy a piece of software called itzymail.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Can anyone tell me how to set a hotmail account up on the iPhone for the mail button.
I know where you set it up at, but what do you put in the incoming and outgoing mails (host name). Also should i use the IMAP, POP or Exchange?

Thanks in advance
You sure can retrieve your hotmail emails from your iPhone but it will cost you about $20/year. Go to izymail.com and sign up (i believe the first 30 days are free). You'll then be able to install hotmail on your iPhone like any other mail client. I use the service myself and love it. Now if you don't feel it's worth $20/year, well, open a gmail account...

Joseph B

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
You can also pay Microsoft $19.95/year for their Premium Hotmail Service which will allow you to forward your Hotmail to your Google Account (which you can sync to your iPhone via IMAP.)

That's what I do; and it has the added benefit of providing me with almost unlimited storage on my Hotmail account.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
You can also pay Microsoft $19.95/year for their Premium Hotmail Service which will allow you to forward your Hotmail to your Google Account (which you can sync to your iPhone via IMAP.)

That's what I do; and it has the added benefit of providing me with almost unlimited storage on my Hotmail account.
I considered this for a second but it would get too confusing for people to send an email to my hotmail and receive answer from gmail. Besides, I really hate gmail.

spyvoy

Nov 24, 2007

Thanks in advance
U sure can! I got mine running smoothly; just go to izymail.con or something once u register your hotmail account they'll give u all the settings u need to input

tpt

Nov 27, 2007

If you do this will you be able to manipulate or just view email?

smitty24

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Lakeland, FL
..... Besides, I really hate gmail.

Not trying to argue or bash, and I know each person likes different things and im a total Windows man, but i HATE hotmail. Its is packed full of ads and such...always getting spam, even if i mark it that way...

Gmail is superior IMO. (not to mention you don't have to pay to get your mail forwarded.)

NOT INTENDED TO HIJACK EITHER

Casper

Nov 27, 2007
I considered this for a second but it would get too confusing for people to send an email to my hotmail and receive answer from gmail. Besides, I really hate gmail.
I have forwarded my hotmail to gmail. In gmail one can specify which 'from' address it uses, so I set this to blabla@hotmail.com. So no confusion for the recipients, gmail is just a hub for me.....
By the way, I did not pay $19,99 for the forwarding option....it is there by default. (maybe because I am actually using an msn.com hotmail address?

Ciao,

Frans

tpt

Nov 27, 2007
I have forwarded my hotmail to gmail. In gmail one can specify which 'from' address it uses, so I set this to blabla@hotmail.com. So no confusion for the recipients, gmail is just a hub for me.....
By the way, I did not pay $19,99 for the forwarding option....it is there by default. (maybe because I am actually using an msn.com hotmail address?

Ciao,

Frans
Ciao,
Would you please tell me exactly how you set up your hotmail account to automatically forward to your Gmail account.
Tom

Casper

Nov 27, 2007
Now using windows live mail;
-select options (right top side of screen)
-from this menu select 'more options'
-from manage your account select; forward mail to another email account

It could be that to be ableto use this option one has to have an extra hotmail subscription ($19,95/year) I did not have to do this, not sure why, maybe because I have an msn.com account or because I am a microsoft MCSE.

Ciao,

Frans

tpt

Nov 27, 2007
Now using windows live mail;
-select options (right top side of screen)
-from this menu select 'more options'
-from manage your account select; forward mail to another email account

It could be that to be ableto use this option one has to have an extra hotmail subscription ($19,95/year) I did not have to do this, not sure why, maybe because I have an msn.com account or because I am a microsoft MCSE.

Ciao,

Frans
Curious. I do have a premium Hotmail account, but do not see the options you describe on my system. Maybe I am not looking in the correct location. Any other way to do this?
Tom
Tom

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
Since Yahoo is the default "server" on the mail button on the iPhone, I just went to my hotmail account and choose forward to my Yahoo account. Now all my msn/hotmail emails show up on the iPhone yahoo mail icon. Hope this helps

tpt

Nov 27, 2007
Since Yahoo is the default "server" on the mail button on the iPhone, I just went to my hotmail account and choose forward to my Yahoo account. Now all my msn/hotmail emails show up on the iPhone yahoo mail icon. Hope this helps

I have attemped to do so as well. However I cannot seem to locate the appropriate forwarding info on my Hotmail. Any suggestions?
Tom

Casper

Nov 27, 2007
Tom, I assume you are using windows live (hotmail)

If so, on the top right you will find options (click) and then more options (click)
From here you should be able to see/find 'manage your account' of which one of the options is mail forwarding.

If you are using the so called 'classic version' of hotmail, I don't know where to find this option by heart, but I am sure someone can help you here.

Ciao,

Frans

Casper

Nov 27, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Yahoo can be setup in such way that when you 'send' an email it uses your hotmail address for the 'from' field, to make it appear you sent via hotmail. In this way you don't have to inform all your friends to send to your hotmail and don't get confused if they receive mail back via yahoo!

NickB

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007

I tried to do this, and i got a message saying "You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

I have a yahoo account but hotmail wont forward to it :mad:

until i figure it out im just using Live Mobile... works ok but it would be nice to not have to use safari to view emails