How to get ROMs onto iPhone/iPod touch Guide

Sep 29, 2007
Okay I have seen so many of these questions and I decided to make a guide. This one will be based off that for a Mac as I believe more Mac users have iPod touch/iPhone than PC.

Update: The procedure should work for PC aswell. I added a link to an SSH program from PC.

In order to get any ROM's onto a iPhone you will need a number of things.
-Game Bios
-ROM's
-Open SSH
-Fugu or any other SSH program

..::Game Bios::..
Game Bios is very easy to get. I am not sure if I am allowed to post then though. It is very simple to find, a simple Google is the key.

..::Roms::..
Also very easy to find, Google is your friend.

..::Open SSH::..
To get open SSH on your iPhone there are many ways you can get it but I will tell you the way I thought was the easiest. Assuming that you have jailbroken your iPhone, go to installer and download the following:
-OpenSSH
-BSD Subsystems
-Ulctl

From there turn on SSH which is easy after that and make sure that your iPhone and computer are going off the same wifi router.

..::Fugu::..
Download fugu if you are on a Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15693). From there we will connect your iPhone to Fugu.

Update: For PC download this Winscp: (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php).
If it does not work tell me.

-Go to your iPhone and click Settings>General>Auto Lock>Never. Then go back to settings and click Wifi>(Blue Arrow on your Connection).

-On your Mac, copy the ip Address into the Connect To. For the Username change it to Root. When it connects(it can take a sec) the password is alpine.

edit: If you are still on firmware 1.0.2 first off I recommend upgrading to 1.1.1 but if you choose not to the password is dottie.

..::placing ROMs::..

-Place all roms in a folder named GBA. Then create another folder named ROMs(Cap sensitive) and place GBA inside it.

-Now on Fugu go to Applications>gpsPhone. In there place the bios from before.

-With the ROMs folder, now go back to Fugu and place it in Var>Root>Media and drag and drop it anywhere in there.

Update: For 1.1.3 and Up place files in Var>Mobile>Media instead

Now you should be able to play your ROMs! I hope this helped as I have seen too many threads about this and not many in depth guides.

Sep 29, 2007
did it, Thanks a lot, but can you tell me if i later want to remove the ROMs folder how can I do that
All you would have to do is go back into the folder using fugu and deleat everything inside it. Then deleat the folder and its gone

Sep 29, 2007
Hi lads. Would there be any guide to getting Roms on to the iPhone v1.1.1 unlocked without having to go back to 1.0.2? I use a pc.

Thanks.
You don't have to go to 1.0.2. This guide works for all firmwares 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2. Only difference is the password for SSH on 1.0.2. is dottie and the rest is alpine.

You can do this on any jailbroken iPhone/touch

jeero2000

Jan 7, 2008
You don't have to go to 1.0.2. This guide works for all firmwares 1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2. Only difference is the password for SSH on 1.0.2. is dottie and the rest is alpine.

You can do this on any jailbroken iPhone/touch
Thanks again for the help. I have installed all the programs i need but have no idea how to use them. I.e. Openssh.

Also, does the gbabios work for the nes games?

Thanks

Sep 29, 2007
Thanks again for the help. I have installed all the programs i need but have no idea how to use them. I.e. Openssh.

Also, does the gbabios work for the nes games?

Thanks
What do you mean know how to use openssh? Download everything I listed from installer and turn it on using services.

And no it wont work for nes. You will need a Nes.bios

jeero2000

Jan 7, 2008
sorry again. I have everything installed. My problem lies with the fact I do not know how to transfer the bios and Roms from my pc to the phone. I have all the software and files. How do I connect the two machines? Thanks again.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Are you on a Windows machine, jeero2000? If you are there are several easy methods to copy files onto the phone. You can use iBrickr (then click on files), you can use iPhoneBrowser which looks kind of like an odd Windows Explorer where you browse to the directory you want the files in and then drag and drop or you can use the more common method of Winscp or other SSH based connection. I don't use then because it is easier for me to just use iPhoneBrowser (no login requirements and simple to use). If your on a Mac then I can't help you. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeero2000

Jan 7, 2008
Are you on a Windows machine, jeero2000? If you are there are several easy methods to copy files onto the phone. You can use iBrickr (then click on files), you can use iPhoneBrowser which looks kind of like an odd Windows Explorer where you browse to the directory you want the files in and then drag and drop or you can use the more common method of Winscp or other SSH based connection. I don't use then because it is easier for me to just use iPhoneBrowser (no login requirements and simple to use). If your on a Mac then I can't help you. Sorry.
Thanks Griffinaz. i hadnt seen your post till now. i'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

nirav464

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
PEOPLE why are you using SSH and FTP when you have an awesome program called iPhoneBrowser.

Serioulsy its just drag and drop.

-No Password
-No Username
-No IP

And please the only drawback to this that you have connect your iPhone/ipod to the computer. Takes about 1 min!

So just use iPhonebrowser and save us all the threads on how to SHH and how do i do that and this!

bigcat

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
How do you change file permissions with iPhonebrowser?

PEOPLE why are you using SSH and FTP when you have an awesome program called iPhoneBrowser.

Serioulsy its just drag and drop.

-No Password
-No Username
-No IP

And please the only drawback to this that you have connect your iPhone/ipod to the computer. Takes about 1 min!

So just use iPhonebrowser and save us all the threads on how to SHH and how do i do that and this!