How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Europa, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just got my $36 AT&T upgrade fee waived by requesting it via live chat.

Go to the live chat here and sign in. http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=820

After logging in, I said, "Hi. I've been an AT&T customer for more than 4 years and my account is in good standing. I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 and I was hoping I could get my $36 upgrade fee waived and credited back to my account."

The agent verified my account and came back and said that he had approved the credit and I could expect it on my next bill. The entire process only took a few minutes. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

We emailed and they said no, they said they have done it another time and won't do it again. We have been members for 8 years.

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I have three to get waived -- both phones and my wife's iPad. I think I'll get it done!

It's amazing that they hammer good customers with this BS fee.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Mac, is your account in good standing? I got my iPhone 4 and 4S upgrade fees waived, but this method was faster and easier than calling.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Europa did you look up your bill online ?
    My bill has not even been posted. I did change to the new plan which it shows. But no new charge ? Our billing cycle runs through the 12th I guess I wait and see.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Our account is in very good standing, never missed a bill, which is $175. And never switched, been with them for 8 years.

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

You need to elevate your request to a supervisor.

8. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I called asked for it to be waived and in 2 minute $72 credited to my account I have had every upgrade/activation fee waived every year

9. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

Same here. I got my bill, called and said I thought it was already waived in store. It was immediately taken off bill. 4 lines of activation.

10. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I just called and said "hi I would like to get my fee waved, ok hold on while I pull up your account, ok I credited your account anything else I can do for you, nope I'm ok thanks you bye" and just like that it was waved.

11. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Knowing my mom, once they said no its no and no other trying.

12. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Mine was waived based on my education discount. Yay! In fact I never have to pay an activation fee because of this (in addition to 15% my total bill).

13. Bambamone3

Bambamone3 New Member

Just got my wife's and mines waived with no hassle from an AT&T rep all you have to do is call

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You haven't received your phone yet, right? Wait until you receive it and then try the link I provided.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. I hadn't received the bill for the upgrade fee yet. It would have been on my next bill.

16. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Hopefully it gets here before the next bill. And hopefully my mom lets us try again.

17. Jeff71hotrod

Jeff71hotrod Member
    Bronze

I got my waived too. Very easy after a short phone call.

18. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I was with AT&T for about 8 years and I went through a dozen phones in that time. I never paid an upgrade or activation fee. Funny thing is I don't remember asking them to waive it even once... Do they do it without you asking sometimes? At least half of my time with them I was paying between 330 and 350 a month. 5 lines and all. Maybe they felt sorry for me lol

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

This is why I am and will stay with AT&T. Huge discount if I switched to sprint but I won't because I know how sprints customer service is and AT&T customer service is awesome.

20. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Just got off the phone with AT&T and they removed the activation fees from both upgrades and some prorated charges and took a little over $100 off of my bill so it it even $15 lower than my standard monthly bill. When I first asked about the extra charges the rep told me the activation fee should of been immediately waived so I didn't even need to bring up my customer loyalty case. I have a Premier Members account so I am assuming that is why she said the activation fees should of been waived.

Definitely worth a couple of minutes of your time to save some $.