How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just got my $36 AT&T upgrade fee waived by requesting it via live chat.

Go to the live chat here and sign in. http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=820

After logging in, I said, "Hi. I've been an AT&T customer for more than 4 years and my account is in good standing. I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 and I was hoping I could get my $36 upgrade fee waived and credited back to my account."

The agent verified my account and came back and said that he had approved the credit and I could expect it on my next bill. The entire process only took a few minutes. :)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I have three to get waived -- both phones and my wife's iPad. I think I'll get it done!

It's amazing that they hammer good customers with this BS fee.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Mac, is your account in good standing? I got my iPhone 4 and 4S upgrade fees waived, but this method was faster and easier than calling.

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
Same here. I got my bill, called and said I thought it was already waived in store. It was immediately taken off bill. 4 lines of activation.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
I just called and said "hi I would like to get my fee waved, ok hold on while I pull up your account, ok I credited your account anything else I can do for you, nope I'm ok thanks you bye" and just like that it was waved.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Mine was waived based on my education discount. Yay! In fact I never have to pay an activation fee because of this (in addition to 15% my total bill).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa did you look up your bill online ?
My bill has not even been posted. I did change to the new plan which it shows. But no new charge ? Our billing cycle runs through the 12th I guess I wait and see.
No. I hadn't received the bill for the upgrade fee yet. It would have been on my next bill.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I was with AT&T for about 8 years and I went through a dozen phones in that time. I never paid an upgrade or activation fee. Funny thing is I don't remember asking them to waive it even once... Do they do it without you asking sometimes? At least half of my time with them I was paying between 330 and 350 a month. 5 lines and all. Maybe they felt sorry for me lol

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
This is why I am and will stay with AT&T. Huge discount if I switched to sprint but I won't because I know how sprints customer service is and AT&T customer service is awesome.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Just got off the phone with AT&T and they removed the activation fees from both upgrades and some prorated charges and took a little over $100 off of my bill so it it even $15 lower than my standard monthly bill. When I first asked about the extra charges the rep told me the activation fee should of been immediately waived so I didn't even need to bring up my customer loyalty case. I have a Premier Members account so I am assuming that is why she said the activation fees should of been waived.

Definitely worth a couple of minutes of your time to save some $.