How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
Thanks Mindi! I've been meaning to do this but I forgot. I'll use the link you provided. Am I required to give you a finder's fee for the money I may save? :p

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks Mindi! I've been meaning to do this but I forgot. I'll use the link you provided. Am I required to give you a finder's fee for the money I may save? :p
Haha! You're welcome and good luck. :)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Called AT&T just now .. 3 activation fees waived. No hassle.

Now, if I could just get the two new iPhone 5s I'd be happy. Until, of cluse, I start running into email problems, WiFi problems, and who knows what else. :p

I love Apple! ♥

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Question, would they be able to waive previous activation fees like say from a year to two years ago? How far back can they actually go to waive activation fees? Thanks

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Question, would they be able to waive previous activation fees like say from a year to two years ago? How far back can they actually go to waive activation fees? Thanks
Now that is probably pushing it --- just a tad!

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
This is the first year I've been successful in getting my upgrade fee waved. Yay! They even removed some prorated fee that showed up, as well.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
I just got off the phone with AT&T and she couldn't remove the activation fee without incurring a "feedback" on her job (which I assume is getting in trouble). She did however remove $36.00 in other data charges which brought my bill down to the regular amount. I think this is a reasonable solution. I wouldn't have even thought of this without being a member of this place :) Thank you.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I just got off the phone with AT&T and she couldn't remove the activation fee without incurring a "feedback" on her job (which I assume is getting in trouble). She did however remove $36.00 in other data charges which brought my bill down to the regular amount. I think this is a reasonable solution. I wouldn't have even thought of this without being a member of this place :) Thank you.
Well it's handled but I really don't understand that at all. She's gonna get in trouble? Other reps in customer care just waive the fee routinely as evidenced by several in this thread that just called and asked and it was handled without any sort of whining whatsoever. On the other hand if they credit you $36 it really doesn't matter which bin they take it out of.

MichelleMAyon

Oct 12, 2011
I just got my $36 AT&T upgrade fee waived by requesting it via live chat.

Go to the live chat here and sign in. http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=820

After logging in, I said, "Hi. I've been an AT&T customer for more than 4 years and my account is in good standing. I just upgraded to an iPhone 5 and I was hoping I could get my $36 upgrade fee waived and credited back to my account."

The agent verified my account and came back and said that he had approved the credit and I could expect it on my next bill. The entire process only took a few minutes. :)
Thank you. Just got my fee waived.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I just tried it and it worked for me too

Patrice Dusted: Thank you.
Normally we do not waive these fees. However I am going to give you a one time courtesy. I have credited your account $72.00. You will see this reflected within 24 hours.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
For the woman saying she would get feedback if she waived them, perhaps they are only allowed to waive so many before it becomes an issue. Still it was nice that she got creative to give the money back. That's another thing I liked about AT&T, they will think outside the box to help you. Verizon barely even waits for you to finish explaining your situation before they start giving you reasons why it is impossible to help you... Btw... I hate Verizon... Dunno if people can sense the tone of any posts I make about my carrier lol

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
chatinfo.gif
Please wait for a site operator to respond.
chatinfo.gif
You are now chatting with 'Robert Thompson '
Terry : Hello Robert. I got our first bill since getting the iPhone 5's. My wife and I have been customers of At&t for three years and wondered if I would be able to have our two upgrade fees waived this one time?
Robert Thompson : Hello, Terry. Thank you for chatting with AT&T today. My name is Rob. I can absolutely help you with any questions regarding charges on your bill.
Terry: Would you be able to help us out with our upgrade fees this one time?
Robert Thompson : Yes I can issue a credit adjustment to your account for the upgrade fees this one time
Terry: I really appreciate that. Will you be able to give me our adjusted balance before the echat is over? I'll then make sure to get that payment off before due date
Robert Thompson : Ok one moment
Robert Thompson : Ok you are all set. 79.88 has been credited to your account
Terry: Thank you very much. Have a good evening!
Robert Thompson : You too.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I just contacted AT&T through their chat support and was told that I WAS NOT going to charged an activation fee anyway. I explained that when I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 I was told that the charge would show up on the next bill. The rep assured me that there was no fee pending and that I would NOT be charged. I was out of contract anyway. Do you think that was the reason why?

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
As I said, in 8 years I never was charged an upgrade or activation fee and I never even asked for one to be waived.

Reactions: btitus

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I've been with AT&T over 10 years, since Cingular days, & other than once I have been charged upgrade fees but I have never asked to have them waived. I will be calling or doing the online chat tomorrow for sure