How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Lots of people's discount programs waive activation fees. Meaning your employer that allows you to have a discount pays for them.

The reason why they don't waive them and then give you a discount somewhere else is because they still have to pay them to FCC regardless if you get it waived or not. Granted it isn't 36 dollars. Is why a lot of carriers will offer half.

At sprint if you call and ask and your discount doesn't waive it you will be told no. If you push the issue you will get a supervisor and they will look at tenure, payment history, and prior adjustments. Then you will be offered half. If you balk at that you will be given a one time adjustment. If you upgraded two lines you will get one back that's it. This is the case 95% of the time. Also depends on your attitude. Be a dbag and you aren't getting anything.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Easy to tell the dbags. First 30 seconds of the call. When I get an escalation I let them sit on hold for min two or three minutes to see what they are like after that wait. I call it a timeout. Lol

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I'm usually very polite but after being told things are not going to be done as I was informed I politely ask for someone else. After about 2 more people, and then being told there's nothing that they can do despite what I was told the last time I called, I snap and start cussing them out. Lol mainly I snap because telling me something is impossible when I know that it is in fact very possible is annoying. If they had just said sorry but I'm not goin to do that for you. I would just hang up and try someone else. Instead I have to correct someone at their own job. Lol if didn't make sense it's because I'm fighting sleep... :S

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Easy to tell the dbags. First 30 seconds of the call. When I get an escalation I let them sit on hold for min two or three minutes to see what they are like after that wait. I call it a timeout. Lol
Famous line from Roadhouse "I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice." Great words to live by in both businesss and your personal life.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
And it's people like you who have mysterious service issues that we have nothing to do with. Meaning I will most certainly turn off your data and make you have to call back in to get it fixed later. I also will tell you that I am making that adjustment and I really don't and I don't make any notes about it either do when you call in when you get your next bill and those charges are on it you have to start all over again.

Go ahead and snap. Yell. Curse. Guarantee it will not get you anywhere 95% of the time. If you are talking to me I will hang up on you. At my level I can do that. It happens. Often.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Famous line from Roadhouse "I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice." Great words to live by in both businesss and your personal life.
Couldn't agree more. More flies with sugar kinda thing. With me at work yogurt one chance. You say "well I always call in and get them waived" you are done with me. Not getting anything. Say something bad about the previous agent, not getting anything either.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Sorry but not only do I think you are lying if you say you can hang up on people all the time or turn off people's data willy nilly and not get in any kind of trouble, I also think it shows you have poor character if it is true, which again i highly doubt, to enjoy causing people misery. And as I said I am quite polite 99% of the time. The couple times I am thinking of where I finally snapped I had very good reason to do so and had been on and off hold and switched to multiple departments for 3 hours. And the girl knew this and was still quite polite with me. No one hangs up either. Oh and FYI the thing I was calling about that everyone said was impossible, I got it done. You just have to find the right person. Maybe if you did your job with integrity people wouldn't snap on you. Just saying.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Again my job is to not give away money for valid charges. So I don't. Act like a dbag you get the repercussions. If you are talking to me you went through several layers. I am cut and dry and straight forward. Any and all supervisors floor or not can and will and do hang up in customers. Our protocol calls for us to ask you to be professional one time after that it is at our discretion to deal with the customer as we see fit. Keeping being a dbag and the convo is over. Call back in and waste another hour of your day. Makes no never mind to me.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well my issue wasn't about money. I would say what it was but to be honest it is a very long and complex story and not that I would love to tell it... Oh wait... I wouldn't. Lol I have told it so much I hate hearing it. And if I even gave you a general topic then people would tell me this option. Then I would have to explain why that didn't work and so forth. It was an issue, a supervisor instructed me to start a new account to accomplish my goals. After I had, everyone told me he didn't know what he was talking about and that I was SOL because I was under contract. It was ridiculous. But after several calls and several supervisors I finally got what I had asked for. Actually worked out better the way I had to use the system. Now my bill is about 10-15 dollars cheaper every month lol oh and some supervisor I had emailed put an extra 50 minutes on my plan for my trouble. Not that ill ever use them but hey... It's something. Lol

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
I think most of you owe Europa a cut.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I don't even understand why they charge an upgrade fee. If I never renew my contract they'd only receive monthly payments, right?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I don't even understand why they charge an upgrade fee. If I never renew my contract they'd only receive monthly payments, right?
To make more Money.

In their eyes it's cheaper for you than buying the newest iPhone at full price.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
isn't so much an upgrade fee as an activation fee. Every time a new device is activated the carrier has to register it with every other carrier nationwide (including Canada and Mexico) so it can make 911 calls.
It's FCC regulated. Everything cell phone is FCC regulated even down to the pin or password to access your account.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I see no new chargers on my account I guess I call any way ?
I would think best to wait and see if the fees show up. If you call and ask for a fee to be waived that hasn't even hit your account yet....... Well....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I just wanted to let everyone know that I was successful in getting my fee waived thanks to Mindi. Her post gave me the impetus to follow through on something I was just going to let slide by. Now I will take that money and put it towards my next iPhone. If you really think about it, $36 is really not chump change even in these times! Again, thanks Mindi!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just wanted to let everyone know that I was successful in getting my fee waived thanks to Mindi. Her post gave me the impetus to follow through on something I was just going to let slide by. Now I will take that money and put it towards my next iPhone. If you really think about it, $36 is really not chump change even in these times! Again, thanks Mindi!
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you and so many others here. :)

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
They did mine but acted like they didn't want to. I got the "one time courtesy" speech & she even went down the non subsidized price list & said it helps keep those upgrade prices down.