How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
That doesn't sound credible but I don't even know where tmobile is. Lol I've never seen one of their stores in either Ohio or arkansas.
I think with tmobile you can have a smartphone without a data plan. Not sure what the purpose of that is though. Unless you are surrounded by wifi regularly.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I got my fee waived and I didn't even ask for it.. Kind of..

I called AT&T checking on changing to the shared family plan. I did not end up changing over but while I was talking to her she mentioned that my next bill would be higher because I had the activation fee on there. I told her I knew about that and she asked how I liked the iPhone 5.. During the conversation I told her about the ordering issues on ATT&T website and hoped it was fixed next year because it was a pain.

She said she was sorry I had such a hard time ordering and that she would waive the activation fee for the troubles..

I think it's a roll of the dice on who you get, what mood they are in, and how your tone and attitude is....

SunnySweet

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 23, 2010
Upstate NY
Thanks for this info Europa ! I logged in to pay my bill today and noticed it was a bit high :( I followed your directions and in less than 5 minutes the fee was waived :) EiC and its members and mods are AWESOME!

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Successful in getting my fee waived via a live chat session. I simply greeting the CS rep, asked for what I wanted by noting that my bill was significantly higher this month over previous months and I noticed that there was a $36.00 activation fee. I went on to say that I suspect that this was due to my recent upgrade and contract renewal but I was hoping to have it waived and credited.

Within a few seconds the CS rep pasted in a canned, "Yes, this is a standard fee associated with selling the phone at the discounted rate and it is in the contract that I agreed to when I signed up......but since I've been a customer since 2009 they would be happy to waive the fee this one time as a courtesy. That was it. Thank the rep, wished them a great day and it was all over in about 3 mintues.

Thanks Europa.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
So I just made my second call in to AT&T and got my activation/upgrade fee plus waived. I called in last month before it was actually billed and was told to call in when it shows up on my bill, but the rep would make notes on my account. So I called today and the rep told me my credit would be $55.52. I asked but did not complain. The rep said it was the upgrade fee of $36.00 plus prorated. I'm glad I called. I love AT&T. Just wish they'd roll out LTE in my area quicker. All the inner cities have it driving down the GSP in NNJ.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Following Europa's and talon's suggestions, my fee was waived in just a matter of minutes via the live chat.

Thanks all!

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
My one-time courtesy waiver has now become 3!
  • $72 for 2 ip5's
  • $36 for Mini
  • $108 for 3 ip5's
Sweet!

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
Just live-chatted my way to a reimbursed $36 activation fee.. I've never had a problem with AT&T customer care..

Sent using iCafe app

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
For what it's worth, they said this is the last time they'll waive the fee, but I'm sure they say that every time.

Regardless, no activation fee this time.

Sent using iCafe app

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I think it's pretty simple with AT&T: Ask and you shall receive.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
For what it's worth, they said this is the last time they'll waive the fee, but I'm sure they say that every time.

Regardless, no activation fee this time.

Sent using iCafe app
They never said that to me. They waived the fee when I added my iPad to my account when I lost power during Hurricane Sandy.

ichiban186

Feb 9, 2013
Just live-chatted my way to a reimbursed $36 activation fee.. I've never had a problem with AT&T customer care..

Sent using iCafe app
You are very lucky. Apparently they are no longer waiving the fee. I had it waived in the past (when it was $18.00), but I went through 3 supervisors, all of whom alleged they can no longer waive the activation fee; you may be able to get a credit for something else, and all I could get was a $15 fee for "inconvenience", which this time really required some toothpulling. Initially she wanted to give me some non expiring rollover minutes; since I already have over 7000, but that doesn't really benefit me. I explained I have been a customer for over 25 years; etc; and protested that as a loyal customer and a shareholder of ATT this fee is offensive as it really is a penalty for renewing your contract. They just keep repeating they can no longer waive the fee. I would be curious to hear more instances if anyone can get it waived in 2013.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
You are very lucky. Apparently they are no longer waiving the fee. I had it waived in the past (when it was $18.00), but I went through 3 supervisors, all of whom alleged they can no longer waive the activation fee; you may be able to get a credit for something else, and all I could get was a $15 fee for "inconvenience", which this time really required some toothpulling. Initially she wanted to give me some non expiring rollover minutes; since I already have over 7000, but that doesn't really benefit me. I explained I have been a customer for over 25 years; etc; and protested that as a loyal customer and a shareholder of ATT this fee is offensive as it really is a penalty for renewing your contract. They just keep repeating they can no longer waive the fee. I would be curious to hear more instances if anyone can get it waived in 2013.
Maybe the threat of leaving since 25 years of loyalty isn't worth $18 to them.. Hmm, I just did it via the computer and it was fantastic.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't call. Instead try using the method I described in the first post of this thread. It has worked for everyone else here. Good luck!

Lilscoop

Mar 5, 2013
I called and no luck. Spoke with a supervisor too. Very rude and refused to help me and, by the way, I had previously contacted att to make sure what my bill should look like and that there would be no surprises by getting a new phone. I tried the chat, as suggested here, and was also refused. Even though I had prechecked with att. I tried again with a new chat agent and finally got the courtesy waive, but only because they could see I was never assessed this charge so they believed it was a surprise. They did need a supervisor's okay though, so my advice is ask to have this fee waived before you upgrade, even if you are no longer bound into a 2 year contract, because they do not want to waive this fee.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Hey, maybe the party is over. I've never had a problem but seems AT&T has taken a hard line according to a lot of people here.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hey, maybe the party is over. I've never had a problem but seems AT&T has taken a hard line according to a lot of people here.
The success rate is still 100% for people in this thread who followed my directions and requested the credit via chat after upgrading. Lilscoop had to do the chat twice, but they did get approved on the second attempt. I think ichiban186 is the only one who didn't get the credit, but they didn't follow my directions.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
When I upgrade net I will definitely follow the directions.

Even though I haven't had the problem of being denied a waiver I don't want to take a chance.

I have learned my lesson Mindi. :D

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I never had an issue and I didn't even flow Mindi's advice. I have a FAN account under the State of NJ. I think they like government workers. :D And, when I type in my wireless number or call from it, I go right to a representative without having to navigate through the dreaded phone-tree.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
I just completed my online chat session and have my text back from AT&T showing that $78.62 has just been credited against my account due to them waiving 2 upgrade fees on my account. One for my i5 and the second for my daughter's Nokia Lumia 920.

Thanks for the information Mindi!