How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
I've been an AT&T customer since the carrier was called Houston Cellular. They automatically upgraded me to a "Plus" status customer. I never pay an upgrade fee. And I get 20% off all accessories. You may want to check into it.

bscepter

Sep 20, 2013
just tried this unsuccessfuly, with the following conversation:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Ray Collins'

Ray Collins: Hi there, ****! :) Thank you soo much for partnering with us since 2008! Let me see what I can do about this. :)

****: i appreciate it. thanks.

Ray Collins: Patrick, the $36 is a standard fee that we cannot waive. But come to think of it, the iPhone 5s is almost $800+ and you were able to get it for a discounted price plus the $36 upgrade fee. That's a huge savings already. :)

****: are you sure? i've had friends who've had the fee waived before simply by being an AT&T wireless customer in good standing. and i've never asked for a waiver before. it just seems like a lot, considering that we pay $2,400 a year for AT&T service already (i do appreciate that we get the phones at a discount, however)

Ray Collins: And we totally appreciate your businesss with AT&T. We are looking forward for more years to come. The $36 upgrade will help us recover the cost we shell out for this devices. This in return will help you in the future in case the phone get damaged, or for warranty reasons, we will be able to replace it FOR FREEwithout having to pay even the shipment fee.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I am going to wait and call and try to get the fee waived. I have been with AT&T since 2003 with 5 phones. They took off the fee last year.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I work for a company that enables us to get a 17% discount from AT&T on our personal accounts. Activation fees get waived too. I'll be interested to see if this one is waived.

Sent using iCafe app

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
I just had upgraded a phone to the iPhone 5 a few weeks ago. I began an online chat whereas the person started to say the fee helps recover costs. I then responded that from my understanding you recover costs by charging a text message fee on something that should be free. We then got disconnected and I received a text from the chat person that they would call in 30 minutes. Person called and told me the fee was waived. They then asked if there was anything they can do for me.
If at first you don't succeed, keep calling!

Sent using iCafe app

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Got mine waived by chat a little while ago. Same as others, they told me this would be the last time.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
AT&T also makes stuff up as they go along. I called and had it waived for 5 iPhones in the past 3 years and have always said that premier members aren't charged an upgrade fee and then a couple of months ago my in-laws got iPhones and when I called AT&T the rep said they no longer waved the activation for premier members, but would do it as a last time courtesy.

Sent using iCafe app

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Please note that this was not for the 5s or 5c phones, but a couple of months ago my wife had her iPhone stolen and we replaces it with a 5. They didn't even charge the fee. I did get my Daughter's line and my line waived I the same year.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
just tried this unsuccessfuly, with the following conversation:

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Ray Collins'

Ray Collins: Hi there, ****! :) Thank you soo much for partnering with us since 2008! Let me see what I can do about this. :)

****: I appreciate it. thanks.

Ray Collins: Patrick, the $36 is a standard fee that we cannot waive. But come to think of it, the iPhone 5s is almost $800+ and you were able to get it for a discounted price plus the $36 upgrade fee. That's a huge savings already. :)

****: are you sure? I've had friends who've had the fee waived before simply by being an AT&T wireless customer in good standing. and I've never asked for a waiver before. it just seems like a lot, considering that we pay $2,400 a year for AT&T service already (I do appreciate that we get the phones at a discount, however)

Ray Collins: And we totally appreciate your businesss with AT&T. We are looking forward for more years to come. The $36 upgrade will help us recover the cost we shell out for this devices. This in return will help you in the future in case the phone get damaged, or for warranty reasons, we will be able to replace it FOR FREEwithout having to pay even the shipment fee.

I think I'd remind them that THEY discount t the phones to get ME to subscribe to $2400 per year. It's not a benefit for the me, but rather them. Ask what the rates are for service if you buy the iPhone outright without discount. I bet the service rates are the same!

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Dude never even mentioned it when I upgraded today. I was using my daughter's upgrade too. On my account though. So I've got me a nice, sleek, 32GB Space gray for a couple weeks to use til the gold one comes in. Yeah, it'll cost me a $35 restock fee when I take it back on day 14. But it's worth it. I just couldn't wait.

sashusmom

Dec 1, 2010
Just tried to get the activation fees for 2 upgrades to the iPhone 5 last weekend credited . We got them before the new iPhones launched. We got a great deal on 32gb phones- $99 from Best Buy.

Here is the chat.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Stephanie Henry'

You: Hello Stephanie
Stephanie Henry: Hi XXX! How may I help you today?

You: I would like to know if You can credit my account with the activation fees for the iPhone 5 from last weekend
We have been a customer of att for quite a while
We upgraded 2 lines with the iPhone 5

Stephanie Henry: I would explain why we charge these fees. These fees allow us to continue to offer competitive pricing on our devices. It also helps us to offset the cost incurred during the upgrade process.

You: I understand that. We have had these activations fees credited back in the past
Can you do it now?
We have been a customer in good standing for a long time
since Cingular days! lol

Stephanie Henry: I understand that in the past these fees may have been waived, however that is not something I am able to do for you today.

You: OK. Thank you and have a good day. :)
Stephanie Henry: You saved hundreds of dollars on that new phone due to this small one time fee.
You: Well, we still have some time to think about staying with att. Thank you and have a good day. :)

Stephanie Henry: You too!\

It looks like ATT thinks it did us a favor. It was actually Best buy that gave us $100 for each crappy old smart phone we brought for a trade in.

And she did not seem to care that we could leave att and return the phones. :(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
While this chat request worked for 100% of the people in this thread who tried it last fall, results are far less favorable now. Go ahead and try it, but don't anticipate a credit at this point.

sashusmom

Dec 1, 2010
I'll try it again during the week. If I am successful, I will post back.

sashusmom

Dec 1, 2010
Europa? Eureka! :D Went back on chat with att- and got the 2 upgrade fees credited back. Thank you Marck! (csr) Just be nice, conversational, and pleasant. The 1st csr I had must have had a bad nite, very unpleasant O_o and antisocial. Marck was great. :)

I suggest avoiding the weekend csr's.

corgi1

Jan 17, 2009
I have 5 lines on our account; two Android and three iPhone 5. Just got my son a Moto X for his birthday and I got on the chat with AT&T today and asked for the upgrade fee to be waived using the OP's example. She actually ended up refunding $45 to my account. Here is the chat:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Jennifer Flatt'
Jennifer: Hello, I am sorry you are upset with the $36.00 upgrade fee.
Jennifer: AT&T has a new upgrade fee Policy and the upgrade fee and reversals are no longer being allowed to be credited. The fee is charge to defer the full retail cost of your new device, if you would like to avoid paying that fee in the future you can purchase a device at full retail costs.
Jennifer: But let me see what I can do for you today.
Me: Thank you
Jennifer: I cannot credit the Upgrade fee but what I can do for you is place a one time credit to your account services for the amount of $40.00 as a valued customer.
Me: Thank you, that is very appreciated.
Jennifer: Okay, please allow me a few minutes to do this for you.
Jennifer: I am almost finished.
Me: No problem
Jennifer: Sorry for the wait.
Jennifer: I am just waiting for it to process the credit.
Jennifer: Okay, I have refunded a total of $45.65 back to your account.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
Stacy Hillestad: We see you are chatting in about your activation fee.

me: yes

Stacy Hillestad: We can certainly take a look at your account. Were these activation fees or upgrade fees?

me: well we upgraded our phones to the new IP5s...and were charged a 36 dollar activation fee

Stacy Hillestad: The upgrade fee is a standard fee that allows us to offer the deeply discounted rates on those new phones.

Stacy Hillestad: While the upgrade fees are unable to be waived we can take a look at your account and see if there is something else we can help you with today.

me: i understand that but i have been a customer since the 90's

Stacy Hillestad: Give us just a few moments

Stacy Hillestad: Keith, we have issued a courtesy credit today in the amount of $62.51 It can take up to 72 hours for your online myATT account to reflect this credit.

me: thank you

K.C.

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 15, 2011
California
Got all 4 of our activation fees waived today on chat! Hellooo $154.52!

Sent by K.C. Using icafe