How to get your AT&T upgrade fee waived

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I called last week, the day I was waiting for my iPhone 5s, and I got the fees waved plus tax. The rep, she was polite, told me this would be the LAST time they would do this.

This saved me a lot of $ off my bill! Woosh!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I called last week, the day I was waiting for my iPhone 5s, and I got the fees waved plus tax. The rep, she was polite, told me this would be the LAST time they would do this.

This saved me a lot of $ off my bill! Woosh!
I just paid $800 for the 64GB 5s, a black leather case, and Applecare+. I'm neither worried not fiscally responsible about $36. :D

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I was in the AT&T store yesterday to get international texting. While I was there I asked about a credit for the upgrade fee. They got me in touch with customer service and they waived it. They didn't say it was the last time or anything else. I probably wouldn't have made the call or gotten online at home but I figured since I was there anyway.....

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just got my fee waved via chat. She said I would see a $45.65 credit, but my amount due went down a total of $85.75. :confused: I'm sure this will resolve itself, but it was nice to get the upgrade fee waved with a little sweet talk. Okay, I brown-nosed a little. :D

On a side note, I noticed my Anytime Minutes usage spiked since I upgraded to the 5S. Turns out my unlimited mobile-to-mobile (on any US network) reverted back to my old unlimited mobile-to-mobile (AT&T only) package. Glad I caught that or I'd be burning through my rollover minutes like wildfire!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just got my fee waved via chat. She said I would see a $45.65 credit, but my amount due went down a total of $85.75. :confused: I'm sure this will resolve itself, but it was nice to get the upgrade fee waved with a little sweet talk. Okay, I brown-nosed a little. :D

On a side note, I noticed my Anytime Minutes usage spiked since I upgraded to the 5S. Turns out my unlimited mobile-to-mobile (on any US network) reverted back to my old unlimited mobile-to-mobile (AT&T only) package. Glad I caught that or I'd be burning through my rollover minutes like wildfire!
You didn't get rid of unlimited texting did you? That will drop your mobile to any mobile. Sometimes it automatically happens with upgrades, but you can add it back on. The bill might be a little bit off if it changed your billing due date. $45.65 should cover it plus some. It's still $36 as far as I know.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
You didn't get rid of unlimited texting did you? That will drop your mobile to any mobile. Sometimes it automatically happens with upgrades, but you can add it back on. The bill might be a little bit off if it changed your due date and extended it a bit. $45.65 should cover it plus some. It's still $36 as far as I know.
No, I kept unlimited texting and it still showed/shows on my plan features. The weird thing is that I switched from unlimited texting to unlimited texting with unlimited mobile to ANY mobile when I met my girlfriend a couple years ago. Somehow I kept unlimited texting but lost mobile-to-ANY-mobile during the upgrade process. It's all fixed now and they even gave me back the rollover minutes I used.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
You didn't get rid of unlimited texting did you? That will drop your mobile to any mobile. Sometimes it automatically happens with upgrades, but you can add it back on. The bill might be a little bit off if it changed your billing due date. $45.65 should cover it plus some. It's still $36 as far as I know.
The upgrade fee was $36 but for some reason the credit amount she quoted me was $45.46. I wondered about that, and the fact that my bill was about $41 more than usual.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The upgrade fee was $36 but for some reason the credit amount she quoted me was $45.46. I wondered about that, and the fact that my bill was about $41 more than usual.
Yeah, check your plan and make sure unlimited messaging is still on there since that's what enables mobile to any mobile. It sounds like upgrading may have changed your plan and bill.

Oct 26, 2013
I've had att since iPhone I... Upgrade waived every time. Just be extra polite. And if they say no. Hang up and call again and be even nicer to the next rep.

:)

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I got two fees waived in two months. The first was when I got my wife the 4S, but returned it. Than last night I called to get the fee waived again because I got her the 5C. I have to ad lib a little, but I got the person to do it. This time he explained why there is an activation fee...to keep the cost down an offer the low costs....blah, blah, blah. What was nice is that the person answering the phone last night was related or himself either an active or retired veteran.

Jan 5, 2008
We emailed and they said no, they said they have done it another time and won't do it again. We have been members for 8 years.
ATT has been stopping waiving the upgrade fees as of late. have to fight with them on the fee! been with them over ten years 5 lines!

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Holy old thread REVIVED.

This is what I like about having a FAN Discount -- no upgrade fees or new line fees.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Holy old thread REVIVED.

This is what I like about having a FAN Discount -- no upgrade fees or new line fees.
Hey, AT&T bastards never told me that. I have a FAN discount and I have my FAN number (I get a 25% discount), and I've always had to make a call/beg to request a waiver of my "activation fee." If memory serves, the last time (October 2014) they declined to waive the fee.

Do all FAN discounts come with waivers of the "activation fee?"

Edit: I just thought of something. I have two lines. Only one gets the FAN. Last year, it was line #2 that got me the handset upgrade. Perhaps that's why they didn't waive the "activation fee?" Still, even when I've gotten a new handset via line #1 (with the FAN), the activation fee always gets billed, and I would be charged if I didn't pro-actively initiate the request of the waiver by calling in.

Last edited:

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I think it may vary from one FAN discount to another, just like the % off changes from one to another.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
@Rafagon, a FAN discount doesn't automatically waive the activation fees. Some might, but not the majority of them. I have a FAN discount and still have activation fees. I've been able to get them removed every year by requesting a credit on my account. I didn't have one last year because I upgraded through Next.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Verizon has told me they will waive my upgrade fee in September because I'm not buying my phone from them. That'll help a bit.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If you badger AT&T about fees that could easily be waived, they'll finally cave and waive it. That's what I've learned when helping get our bill down in price.