How to go about the forum

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I am just curious to know how everyone goes about the forum. The reason I ask, is after looking at everything, clicking on emails that people have responded to threads that I am subscribed to, I have many windows.

Does anyone have a method to this wonderful iPhone madness. How do you read new topics, old topics, folders, etc.

I have been learning a lot these past few months but I don't know everything there is to know. If I am looking for a thread that I know exists but try searching and can't find it, I am SOL. Any tips tricks to help me get around the forums easier?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't subscribe to threads - that would overflow my Inbox big time. However, I do receive an email every time somebody reports a post - a method of removing spam and the like. Otherwise, I just browse via the forum index and read through every forum as I try to read every active thread as a mod.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Generally, I'll browse one of two ways. I don't like subscriptions, so I'll just search for my username to read up on posts I've already contributed to. In lieu of that, I just hit "new posts".

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I don't subscribe to threads - that would overflow my Inbox big time. However, I do receive an email every time somebody reports a post - a method of removing spam and the like. Otherwise, I just browse via the forum index and read through every forum as I try to read every active thread as a mod.
What do you mean by forum index? Is that the page when I clock on forums?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Generally, I'll browse one of two ways. I don't like subscriptions, so I'll just search for my username to read up on posts I've already contributed to. In lieu of that, I just hit "new posts".
Now that I have been a lot more active in the psat few months, it does kind of take a big chunk of my inbox waking up and have over 40 emails! I think that I am going to get rid of the emails for subscribed threads, then just make an effort to read up the section "threads that I am subscribed to". Thanks for your help. It's nice to know how you EIC wise-men go about the forums.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks, that is what I thought it was.

I just tried to not have the email notification to when people reply to a thread that I am subscribed to.

I went to Edit Options>Messaging and Notifications>Default Thread Subscription Mode>No Email Notification.

Still got emails, does it take some time before it starts working, or am I doing it wrong?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You need to select "Do Not Subscribe." Then you won't get emails.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
You need to select "Do Not Subscribe." Then you won't get emails.
So then I have to do what psylichon said, where I have to search my username then see which ones I posted in.

So there is no way to subscribe to threads and NOT get emails. I like clicking the subscribed threads link, very quick.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It is annoying to search my name all the time, but I do it because I could not find a way to stop the emails. I can type psylichon as if it was one letter. :D

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Well I am gonna go into word, and just start typing smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 smknsrt8 until I can do it in .1 seconds!
Is there a way to create shortcut keys to type in words?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Most of the time I'll just go into the subforums that have the most "activity" such as General or iPhone or iPhone 3G. When nothing seems to be happening there I'll use New Posts instead.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So then I have to do what psylichon said, where I have to search my username then see which ones I posted in.

So there is no way to subscribe to threads and NOT get emails. I like clicking the subscribed threads link, very quick.
when you subscribe, you are given options. choose "no email notification", and then you won't get email. Then when you log into EIC, go to your user control panel, and you'll see your subscriptions as if you were receiving emails. I used to do that, and it works fine. Just remember that the posts you already have setup for instant email notification, you'll get emails, unless you change those specific thread settings.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
when you subscribe, you are given options. choose "no email notification", and then you won't get email. Then when you log into EIC, go to your user control panel, and you'll see your subscriptions as if you were receiving emails. I used to do that, and it works fine. Just remember that the posts you already have setup for instant email notification, you'll get emails, unless you change those specific thread settings.
Matt I have to agree with Ramesh on this one. This method works really well. You can find every thread that you've started or contributed to without getting bombarded by email messages.
Good point also re: last sentence of Ramesh's post. I was a bit unclear about that but figured it out after I continued to get notifications on certain posts.

H

Hayesimus

I was just about to say that but rammy beat me to it. I subscribe to threads but get no emails when people post in the thread. That way I can log into eic and see if there has been activity after I posted but my inbox is clutter-free

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
first i check subscriptions (with emails disabled). Then i check "new posts". Then i skim over the index to see if there was any activity in slower forums (like the hardware forums).

then i have a cigarette.

then i go to sleep.